Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 05:14PM

So I'm hanging out with my son last Saturday, taking care of my 97 year old MIL while my wife was in Maine visiting her sister.

Late afternoon I get a text from my oldest TBM Brother. It said that they had just finished watching all the Sat. GC sessions and it was so great! He "invited" me to tune in and watch on Sunday, mentioned BYU-TV and BYU channel, and thought I would find them inspiring and uplifting. He knows I'm no longer mormon.

I swear I could hear the soft spoken, fake caring mormon voice pattern in the text.

So what did I do? I holy Ghosted him and didn't respond. Hopefully he'll feel the spirit in that and find it uplifting and inspiring.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 05:16PM

I would respond, "As you know, that's not my thing. However I hope that you continue to enjoy it." That might cause some cog-dis if he in fact, is not enjoying it.

Posted by: outta the cult ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 05:27PM

"No thanks, I'm busy alphabetizing my sock drawer."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 06:09PM

You can't Holy Ghost. Only Mormons can.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 06:45PM

Not even worth a reply. Perfect. That's how you do it.

If it happens in person a wordless blank stare is the equivalent.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 10:33AM

Chances are there was a talk where one of the crones said something like: "reach out to your lost sheep and invite them to tune in to feel this wonderful spirit.. blah blah BS blah"

I only hear from my TBM brother when he's guilted into it by some talk he heard.

I refuse to be a story for testimony meeting.

Holy ghosting is right!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 10:34AM

Yes, from what I read, there was one such talk -- basically, go harass your inactive neighbors and family members. Lovely, huh?

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 12:47PM

oxymormon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> I refuse to be a story for testimony meeting.
>

Funny you say that. When my wife is telling me some inane ridiculous story of her spiritual journey in life which typically centers around her kinesiology nonsense, I tell her she should share that in testimony meeting. She never does. Maybe it is too sacred, or maybe she knows at some level that it is just best not to bring that up with others. Some Mormons spirituality and their health odysseys are very intertwined.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 06:01PM

Every ward I've been in has a member that gets up every month to update us on their health problems.

Every. Single. One.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 10:47AM

Very nearly every GC one of the speakers gives the "pester your friends/family to get right with the Lard and return to the One True Churchâ„¢ that you and I know to be the only true yada yada yada."

Back when my mother was still alive, I knew that when such a talk happened, I was going to get the "get right with the Lard" speech/email within the next month. I was rarely wrong. I hated the semiannual "harass your family" talk. Fortunately, the rest of my TBM relatives know better than to harass me. Progress.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 11:25AM

Sorry I can't watch your church meeting. I am busy caring for someone elderly and ill today.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 12:52PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry I can't watch your church meeting. I am busy
> caring for someone elderly and ill today.

...but please feel persecuted enough by my response to deepen your resolve to give up 10% of your income and all your talents and time to an organization that profits from you feeling persecuted by these types of statements. This would be best shared in your next testimony meeting.... You are welcome.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 03:10PM

My profit told me to watch the paint dry on the wall.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 04:07PM

I need to follow your example.

I've repeatedly told my TBM friend I have NO interest in church and don't want to hear about the BoM, etc. So what does she do? She sends me an email with a quote from Nephi and tells me that she has to give away 3 Books of Mormon. I should have holy ghosted her but I told her to back off instead. She's on a mission so maybe she can't help herself.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: October 09, 2021 05:13PM

They can take it as positive feedback.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.