Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 01:42PM

I'm very lucky because my husband has agreed that I can spend half our tithing money on any charity I want.

And it shocks me---it really shocks me--that, even though it's only half the tithing amount, I still have so much that I can make some really satisfying gifts.

Each year I give $1000 to Doctors without Borders.
I still have more left for other organizations--so much so that the donation often puts me in their highest group of donors.

This year I bought a lifetime membership in one of the country's living museums--a place where people reenact life in historical times--one of the places where people, especially children, can go to see living history.

That still hasn't used up all the tithing money I would have spent.

Next year I'm considering setting up a scholarship fund. I might have to take two or three years of my tithing donation to support this, since the scholarship will come from the earnings on the fund.

I can't tell you the satisfaction I'm getting from this. It's one of the benefits of leaving the church. No longer do I have to donate to the building of unattractive temples where only a few people are allowed to attend. No longer do I have to help purchase textbooks and binders and red pencils for seminary teenagers. No longer do I have to support the mission training center where so many young men and women have been damaged in ways they may never recognize or understand. No longer am I helping to buy the large maple tables in high council rooms all over the world.

We are a middle class family---and still we have enough that I can get great satisfaction from the money I give. You don't realize how much money you are sending to the church when you just put that 10% in the envelope every month---year after year.

I've totaled it before, and it's rather shocking. Very shocking!

And, I know, I know. I've heard the scare story about how ashamed I should be that I'm spending "God's Money." I'm sorry, but I think that if there's a god out there, I'm doing as good a job spending his money as the leaders of the mormon church are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 11:13PM

"They rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries ...." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 28:13)

That verse is so unbelievably ironic because of just how much the Mormon spends on it's "fine sanctuaries," while depriving the underprivileged of so much that the church COULD provide.

Looks like you are actually a "better Mormon" than the General Authorities themselves (sorry if that sounds like an insult!).

Good job! : )

Posted by: m ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 11:24PM

"Yea, it shall come in a day when there shall be churches built up that shall say: Come unto me, and for your money you shall be forgiven of your sins." (Mormon 8:32)

Posted by: m ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 11:26PM

37 For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 11:41PM

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 01:52AM

The number of people on SNAP (food stamps) has skyrocketed during this recession, and SNAP doesn't come anywhere near to covering anyone's real food costs.

I give money to charities that address the real needs of people where I live - things like food and shelter. Food banks get some special deals on food costs when they buy in bulk, so your donation dollar buys much more food than it would at the grocery store and feeds more people.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 02:08AM

I know exactly how you feel dimmesdale. After I left the morg I started attending (actually I took a long break between churches)a non denominatial church. I would tithe,but when ever and what ever I wanted.

I sponsored 2 children-one in Haiti and one in Zambia. For $38 a month this will feed,clothe,and helped to educate these precious children. That's $78 a month. A fraction of what I used to tithe.

I buy supplies for the needy in my area. The list goes on and on. What a wonderful feeling I get when I am able to help those that REALLY need help.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.