Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 12:16PM

Just wanted to mention a couple of changes, no real biggies.

Despite relaxed standards at regular meetinghouses/sacrament meetings. You are not allowed to enter the temple without a facemask. It has to be worn at all times while inside.

Regarding the all the handshakes. The workers no longer go person to person to give each attendee the sign. They are "demonstrated" at the front by the witness couple.

They are still shaking hands/touching people at the veil. Hand sanitizers are provided on both sides of the curtain.

The current endowment session (a powerpoint slide show) runs about 45-50 minutes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 01:37PM

A power point slide show? I remember the movie, it was beautifully filmed with an attractive Hollywood score, it was like the beginning of a big budget Sci fi film,, wow things have changed! Not for the better...

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 01:39PM

Maca not logged in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> big budget Sci fi film,,

I would have said low budget but I've not been for almost 20 years. My how 100 billion changes things.

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 04:16PM

True, low budget, but a good score, and a terrible ending like the director forgot to finish the script

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 08:02PM

I don't remember any "Hollywood score," but at least one of the past temple films used footage from the Disney film, "Fantasia."

http://www.salamandersociety.com/media/movies/templemovie/ [Reference found under heading, "Temple Film Production Notes"]

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 20, 2021 06:16AM

Rusty made new changes and because of COVID they haven’t been able to produce a new movie.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 20, 2021 04:51PM

So you're saying that maybe the church thinks that the actors wearing face masks wouldn't be a good example?

Now I'm sad . . .

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 01:43PM

Good to know they are employing some preventive measures. Especially to try and protect the elderly folks that attend the temple.

Unlike others we could mention.

I think that even without COVID we've been very lax in all areas of public life with basic hygiene practices. I know it's extra work and effort and thought all 'round but that's a good thing in my eyes. I wonder, for instance, how often restaurants ever actually disinfected tables and chairs before - once in a blue moon likely. And hallelujah that more people scrub their hands now after they've used the washroom. That's a win-win right there. If you're even a tiny bit of a germphobic (like I tend to be) it's a relief to think that at least cleanliness is more top of mind now for many. I hope it lasts.

As for the temple, I only went a few times. I seriously did not like the whispering thing at the veil. I never got a chance to memorize or state the expected responses as the workers there always just answered for me. Maybe I looked as stunned as I felt. I'm a slow learner in some respects. I kept going thinking maybe at some point I would figure out what the hell it was all about or at least would sometime know what you're supposed to say at the veil and what it's supposed to mean. The temple prep class offered at church was "taught" by a woman who spent the whole time telling us that she couldn't tell us anything because it was all too sacred. That's a mind-bender-and-a-half right there.

They never let me go to the RS meetings either, giving me a calling to "teach" Primary. How could I teach what I didn't know! It eventually began to sink in that something was up, and it wasn't good, because why did they seemingly work so deliberately to keep me out of RS meetings?

The whole experience from missionaries to temple and back was just so WEIRD. Why did it take me so long to reach that conclusion? I should have known from day 1. Too bad I like my Mormon friends so much and didn't realize their religion was, well, what it is.

Sorry, got off track there. Mention of the temple kind of brings the whole thing back. And yes, it's as strange and incomprehensible as I first concluded.

I vote for No More Mormon Converts. Just leave it to the BICs and quit the outside preaching.

But then I'm happy if BICs find their way out.

Maybe better to say No More Mormonism - it's interesting to wonder if it will eventually die off. If flocks are leaving and convert baptism numbers are dismal that could actually eventually happen.

Meanwhile, good to know they're rational enough, unlike some, to at least try and avoid infecting the troops.

PS: My first time through was in SLC where they had a live play. Satan seemed to have the lead role, to my great confusion. And why is the dialogue so repetitious? I never understood that. Boring as hell. I saw the film later when I attended locally. I remember looking around at fellow ward members who were frequent temple-goers. All I could think was how on earth am I going to be able to bear returning regularly and watching the same strange film for the rest of my life. Even the best James Bond kind of sours after you've seen it 100 times.

Fortunately, I ended up getting out of the madness and wouldn't go back to that show for $10M US dollars.

(Well, maybe once). :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2021 01:47PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 01:46PM

tomorrow. She wanted a new temple dress and it is her birthday on Sunday, so apostate adulteress lazy mommy bought one for her.

I'm so glad it isn't me going.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 01:50PM

cl2notloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... so apostate adulteress
> lazy mommy bought one for her.

Yeah, funny how that goes.

Moms gotta be moms.

They're lucky to have you. All of them.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 02:22PM

Reediting the film to remove prompts to have people speak or interact would probably have been problematic.

So do the couple come to the altar now?
Are people moving around their robes, sashes, etc.?
Do they actually speak aloud or are they told to think when they're supposed to say "yes" or the other tokens, in the way that they're only supposed to think of the new name?
Do they bother with the True Order of Prayer™?

At least they don't have to sing the hymn with the Protestant minister anymore. :D

Tyson

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2021 02:24PM by Tyson Dunn.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 02:34PM

The super-sacred temple endowment, revealed anew and administered unchanged from the days of Solomon, and the true Masonry…

The temple is the Acme of mormon experience – and when I say Acme, I mean the Wile E. Coyote version: it always blows up in your face.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acme_Corporation

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 22, 2021 04:09AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r_WTkLl_3rQ&pp=QAFIAQ%3D%3D

Pretty much sums up my Mormon experience.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 02:47PM

Oh how tangled is the web we weave
When we practice to decieve

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 19, 2021 02:48PM

?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 20, 2021 06:34AM

COVID is extremely contagious. The best protection is distancing. It makes no sense to not have contact during the session and then have contact at the veil. The cheap masks most people wear don’t offer that much protection.

The church is actually putting people at risk because it’s afraid that the members will lose interest in the temple by not attending. It’s usually elderly people who work in the temple. You don’t want to expose elderly veil workers by having them give multiple handshakes to a bunch of people.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: November 20, 2021 08:53AM

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/todayuknews.com/health/hero-surgeon-killed-by-covid-was-double-jabbed/amp/

Double jabbed is a loose unprofessional way of saying he has (had) received two spaced doses of covid vaccine treatments.

I had again on the space of the side of pinkie finger, where the fingerprint seam joins the (more sun tan) skin on the back of the hand. Just a pink dot after six hours, from barely opening a pull door handle to restaurant. I used hand sanitizer after entering.

Went nowhere that day, except touching one handle on one door.
Good grief, there are lurking little spots of this crap out there.

This is the third spot (some people say, leaves bump) that hung around after washing and washing. Lysol can spray really knocks it out, though.

I know, I know beat me up for talking about dangerous covid.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 21, 2021 12:33AM

I've been dogsitting my daughter's dog since 6:30. They were going to the 7:00 session and it is 10:31.

Even if it is my daughter, I hate it when people do this to me.

When I was single and working, had to be to work by 7:30 and I had a 30 minute drive, and friends who were married and had kids would ask me to babysit so they could go to the temple and never tell me they were going to dinner afterwards. It really pissed me off.

I'm not too pleased with my daughter tonight, but it is her birthday tomorrow. I dog sat for them last night for 4 hours, too. And will be for a week at Christmas when they go on a cruise.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 21, 2021 01:00AM

“A mother’s work is never done.”

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 26, 2021 03:28PM

Are they still doing Second anointings? Maybe those are on hold.

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 09:55PM

Messygoop-

Do they still do the Hanky Panky?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 10:12PM

Yes, those who want to join the prayer circle do the hokey pokey dance.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 10:18PM

The hokey pokey: that's what it's all about.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 29, 2021 11:05PM

>
The hokey pokey: that's what it's all about

Especially like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwaxWoJPUC0

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 30, 2021 07:27AM

That’s hilarious!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 01:15AM

LOOOL!

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 12:53AM

Yes, I just made that up. The "LDS Twinkle" is just a wrinkle wrapped in a crackling backlog. It's primary (no pun intended) function is to dysfunction. It not only dislikes ACTION (and Liberty) but also likes inaction. It's sticky and picky, not to mention icky!

The LDS do the Hokey Pokey without any Hanky Panky at a Polka Dance? I doubt it! I'd lose my pants... and my shirt, maybe my mind, and certainly my patience.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.