Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 11:43PM

There are a few things I know for sure.

Users do not have the option to delete posts.

Admin has not deleted ANYTHING in that thread.

The post in question is from the same IPset that Stormy, Jake and Jakes sister all use.

The post in question was edited by Stormy. It is in the same place as the post in question that Stormy now says she did not write. I know this for sure because someone did hit the report button so I KNOW this is the same post.

Something is not adding up here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 11:48PM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 01:51AM

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: July 10, 2011 11:55PM

All I know is it wasn't I Who posted and Would leave jake who is at work or my my sil. How would that happen?

stormy

Date: July 10, 2011 11:56PM

Someone from your house with your password edited the post. It is not gone. It is edited by you.

Date: July 10, 2011 11:59PM

She has my cell phone, could that be what happened?

Jake posts from our computer.

stormy

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:18AM

Oh good I'm not as dumb as I was thinking. At least not this time.

I don't know if this helps but on my phone it keeps me logged in for hours. I can just pick it up, open the browser and I'm still logged in hours later. This seems to last even longer when background data is enabled. I'm on an Android now but the late iPhone (grabby child + bathtub) did it too. Stayed logged in much longer than a computer would.

Just a guess.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:23AM

Anyone with my phone could post whatever they wanted.

Date: July 11, 2011 12:48AM

The phone she has is an android and you are always logged in. My new phone is also an android and does the same thing. I really don't know what to say about any of this. I feel sorry for her and that's why she has my phone. I just got another one and pay for that one also. She needs the support. But if need be I'll ask her to send it back to me.

stormy

Posted by: jake's sister ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:27AM

Storm called very upset. I have her cell and I have used it to post. I didn't want my husband to know I post on this board. He's supportive of my decision but asked that I didn't post. But I did any way. When I use her cell it automatically signs in as stormy. She explained this to me before. But this time, I was anxious to post and didn't log out and sign in under my name. When I realized what I did, I just erased the message.

I'm sorry to have caused trouble for everyone, especially Storm.
Things have been rough here and the help from the board means a lot to me.

I understand if I'm not allowed to use this board any more. What you decide, I will abide by it. Stupid people do stupid things and I guess that's me. I'm using the phone now since I can't use our computer because of my husband.

Date: July 11, 2011 01:24AM

All of these have the same IP.

2. Re: ****Did anyone else see what I saw? - PART 2. Questions for Stormy.
She has my cell phone, could that be what happened? Jake posts from our computer. stormy

YesterdayStormy3. Re: ****Did anyone else see what I saw? - PART 2. Questions for Stormy.
All I know is it wasn't I Who posted and Would leave jake who is at work or my my sil. How would that happen? stormy

YesterdayStormy4. Re: Maybe Stttooorrrmmmy is channeling Joseph Smith...
Thanks..that's all I need right now. I'm still cleaning out our bathroom...the renovation starts tomorrow at 7:30 am sharp. stormy

YesterdayStormy5. Re: In this thread?
Yes stormy

YesterdayStormy6. Re: Stormy - tell me EXACTLY what post.
The post is gone now. It was on the response to the bishop thread that my sil posted. I always sign my posts stormy This one wasn't signed like that.. . stormy

YesterdayStormy7. Re: Did anyone else see what I saw?
I saw it also and they used my name...that post did not come from me. I checked with my sil and she didn't post either. Does this happen often? I am registered does that mean some one has my info..? Will I have to change my password? stormy

YesterdayStormy8. Re: response to bishop continued
Sil called...sp due to come over. stormy
**Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2011 09:18PM by stormy.
This is the post in question. Content was originaly by Jakes Sister but with the name Stormy on it. It was not deleted, it was edited by Stormy.

YesterdayStormy9. Re: "Modest is Hottest"
I sure disagree..you don't need to look trampy..but then I have boys do what do I know..around here clothes for girls leave zip to the imagination..are the clothes different in utah? stormy

YesterdayStormy10. Re: If left untreated rather unfortunate side-effects such as death can occur.
Glad you went to the er...those infections are serious. stormy

YesterdayStormy11. Re: Church-approved Mormon sex (mildly adult)
OMG...do these people know nothing? Thank god jake went to medical school and played around..do did I..better marriage. stormy

YesterdayStormy12. Re: Which is the Greater Threat to the Traditional Family and Traditional Marriage: Gay Marriage or Mormonism? (Please take an informal survey.) (mild language)
I know of no marriages broken by a gay in my friends. My marriage was crushed because of the lds botch. stormy
These are also from the same IP/land line

Re: ****Did anyone else see what I saw? - PART 2. Questions for Stormy. Date: July 11, 2011 12:48AMPosted by: Stormy

The phone she has is an android and you are always logged in. My new phone is also an android and does the same thing. I really don't know what to say about any of this. I feel sorry for her and that's why she has my phone. I just got another one and pay for that one also. She needs the support. But if need be I'll ask her to send it back to me.

stormy
Re: ****Did anyone else see what I saw? - PART 2. Questions for Stormy.
Posted by: jake's sister
Date: July 11, 2011 12:27AM

Storm called very upset. I have her cell and I have used it to post. I didn't want my husband to know I post on this board. He's supportive of my decision but asked that I didn't post. But I did any way. When I use her cell it automatically signs in as stormy. She explained this to me before. But this time, I was anxious to post and didn't log out and sign in under my name. When I realized what I did, I just erased the message.

I'm sorry to have caused trouble for everyone, especially Storm.
Things have been rough here and the help from the board means a lot to me.

I understand if I'm not allowed to use this board any more. What you decide, I will abide by it. Stupid people do stupid things and I guess that's me. I'm using the phone now since I can't use our computer because of my husband.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 02:08AM

>>>>>>I saw it also and they used my name...that post did not come from me. I checked with my sil and she didn't post either.

Does this happen often? I am registered does that mean some one has my info..? Will I have to change my password?

stormy

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,240397

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 02:09AM by Queen of Denial.

Date: July 11, 2011 02:15AM

Why would Jake's Sister tell Stormy that it WAS NOT her that posted, and then come on the board and say it WAS her?

Posted by: Teewan ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:51AM

This is a lot of drama.. When is someone going to break out the "I can't say with Certitude" line? Lol

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 01:29AM

Drama in real life !

Date: July 11, 2011 01:45AM

Just a series of facts that do not add up.

Date: July 11, 2011 01:50AM

Date: July 11, 2011 01:49AM

It would be possible for an outside user to take over the computer, export the screen to their own off site commuter then run as if they were sitting in Stormy's home using the commuter. The hacker would get what ever stated the computer was in when they exported the screen. If the user was logged onto the computer and logged into RfM, then, other than writing stile and content of the post, there would be no way to distinguish from a real Stormy post because it came from the same computer and the same login.

This would explain everything except the post being edited and the claim of 'jake's sister' above (a claim that Susan I/S notes has a problem). I suppose it could be possible that a hacker posted a post then had a change of hart...

This scenario is not very likely, but it is possible.

Date: July 11, 2011 01:56AM

They are continuing to post from the same IP.

Stormy says she saw the post in question, that it was not her, and that it was deleted. No, she edited it. If someone had hacked a password, they have been posting as her alllll day. And continuing to do so. From the same IPs that all three of them have used over the last few months.

And as I said about the two in this thread, talking about calling when they are using the same computer?

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are continuing to post from the same IP.
>

That is my point, The IP address would be the same because the actual post would have come from stormy's computer. Only the screen would be exported, the hacker would be using stormy's computer, everything would come from stormy's computer. It would have the exact same address because the post itself would have come from stormy's computer and stormy's web browser. The exported screen runs the computer REMOTELY.

Think of it as if the hacker attached a monitory, keyboard and mouse with REALLY long cables to the back of stormy's computer and took the monitor, keyboard and mouse to and entirely different house . Despite the fact that the hacker is now in a different house, he is still using the computer in stormy's house. The IP address would still be the same on all the posts.

The same thing is done with the remote control programs I am talking about, they send the screen output, the keyboard and mouse input and output to another, remote, computer. Though the hacker will be sitting at the the remote computer, he would ACTUALLY be using stromy's computer, not his, to send the message. The IP address would be stromy's address. The hacker is only using a remote keyboard, monitor and mouse, but would still be using Stormy's computer.

Because the same thing is happening with two different providers :). Two different ways to access period.

Date: July 11, 2011 02:22AM

If "They are continuing to post from the same IP [singular]." how would two different providers be involved? Each provider is assigned a different UNIQUE set of IP addresses to assign to customers. The INTERNET would not work of two providers were using the same IP addresses.

So, if it is coming from two different providers with the same address, then it would have to be something like IP spoofing. This would be exceptionally difficult to do especially from two different providers.

Or is there really two IP addresses involved? Jake's sister's explanation would be plausible.

Are you sure you are determining the provider correctly?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 02:31AM by MJ.

Date: July 11, 2011 02:33AM

And I can't give specifics. But the first set, with the one they BOTH claim is not from them, is from one IP/provider. The later two where they are calling each other is a second IP/provider.

Date: July 11, 2011 02:53AM

If stormy posts from home and a cell, then there should be two address sets possible, the phone's which could be rather random depending on how mobile they are and the home which should be in a very narrow range of addresses if the addresses change at all.

Depending on what set the particular issues came from, would indicate different problems.

If jake's sister set down stromy's phone and jake's sisters decided to play a practical joke, that could explain the posts that both are saying they did not do, and the pranksters could have had a change of heart and deleted the message. Perhaps Jake's sister is covering for friends????

Then, since there was two different sets of posts involved, perhaps there some of the same sorts of confusion I experienced going on with the calling each other.

Working tech support taught me that most people are not very good at explaining this sort of stuff either. I won't even tell you about my dad and his "nothing" claims when I was trying to help him over the phone. My usual default position is, if it is all really convoluted and confusing, it is usually because the user is confused, hiding something so they don't have to admit they did something wrong, are combining separate issues into the same sentence.

The first thing I would do, is stop treating the two sets of posts are if they are necessarily linked.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 01:57AM

I guess there are a lot of clever ways to try and gain access to someone's computer.

This is all pretty weird though.

Date: July 11, 2011 02:11AM

The hacker was using the voice male system as an information board and using the PBX to allow people in the local area to call anywhere in the world and the charge would go back to the company.

Had about 3 weeks of the FBI camped out in our offices before the hacking was resolved. I don't know how long it took for my boss to fix all his credit reports that the hacker mangled as revenge for calling the feds.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:02AM

Well, rather, I've heard of ONE attack like that. I wonder if that was the same one :)

Anyways, must have been intense working there during that time.

Date: July 11, 2011 03:06AM

The phone guys had a miserable time for the whole mess.

And this sort of attack happens all the time. The voice mail information listed 18 systems that were also hacked all around the world. The FBI contacted the owners of the other two USA based systems, but I don't know what the outcome was there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 03:08AM by MJ.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )

Before I crash for the night I just want to say one thing about IP numbers. They show not only your approximate location but they show your service provider. It's pretty easy to know if it's wireless or a landline.

Nite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 02:09AM by The Man in Black.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing

"IP spoofing can also be a method of attack used by network intruders to defeat network security measures, such as authentication based on IP addresses. This method of attack on a remote system can be extremely difficult, as it involves modifying thousands of packets at a time. "

It can also be used in what is known as "man in the middle" attacks.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 02:44AM

I always felt from the beginning that this “story”:

1. had too much drama, and was too artificial, and scripted
2. played out like a bad novel, as the posts of three alleged different people flowed too conveniently like a story
3. three writing styles were too similar for me
4. was the product of a fanciful imagination - the occupations, activities, etc. were all so picture perfect
5. had a very pro-Catholic agenda in the beginning

I thought this was possibly a regular poster who felt slighted by the strong atheist content here, and posted defensively as three people - in order to be backed up/hide behind by a man who also chose catholicism (and her), and a fragile SIL - with herself, and catholicism as the heroes.

Certain posters get resentful, because they cannot defend their religion, and feel attacked.

The edits, and lies appear to be someone covering their tracks, and not a hacker - a hacker would have no stake in the upkeep of this story.

It always looked like a three-in-one "trinity", so I sometimes read to confirm my suspicions, but did not buy into it.

And now we have silence as said poster is thinking up an out, because anyone with truth could immediately reply. Will the triune poster now claim hacking?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 02:52AM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 02:55AM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 02:59AM

I was slow to notice, but the thought struck me today. Jake is supposed to be a doctor and the writing style just isn't that of a professional, IMO and is to similar to the other posters' style. Besides they seem to have way too many over the top Mormons in their lives. I didn't want to say anything on board but since someone else brought it up, I'll join the chorus of doubters. If I am wrong I'll grovel later.Besides, the simplest explaination is usually right and it is a lot more believable that we are being played than the some hacker set up this elaborate hoax.I am embarrassed that I bought into it for so long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 03:03AM by bona dea.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:00AM

"As Stormy Turns."

I can't believe anybody reads that stuff, let alone, notes an edit or deletion.

Posted by: Fiction is Fun ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:19AM

Yeah, I've thought that too. If it's not true, it's an impressive hoax. I have my popcorn on standby to watch what happens next.

Date: July 11, 2011 02:51AM

I noticed the similar writing styles and the excess drama too. If I am wrong, I apologized, but the whole thing sees a bit contrived and over the top to me.If I am right, I am not going to guess motive, but a lot of the story just seems too convenient and soap operaish to me.I tended to buy into it until we got to the bishop's email. That just seemed a little off after I had time to think about it.Then I noticed the fact that all three have the same run on sentences in their posts. Once again, if I am wrong, I apologize, but I am suspicious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 03:11AM by bona dea.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:06AM

+1

Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:13AM

The whole effort required to set up three separate posters seems a bit much. And to what end?

I have noticed a few things others have mentioned as well, the writing styles and run on sentences mainly. Then of course the inordinate amount of drama. One thing that struck me several times was the sometimes brutal frankness with which the posters spoke of each other at times.

In all honesty, though, I really didn't give it a lot of thought until this thread. By the time I came to athiest&happy's comment I had come to the same conclusion myself.

Date: July 11, 2011 03:41AM

Not to hijack the thread, but I am glad your leg is better and that it didn't cost a fortune.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:26AM

Sounds like the whole soap opera was fabricated to me.
The simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Date: July 11, 2011 04:24PM

Date: July 11, 2011 08:28PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.