Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BrownLamanite ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:03AM

Almost two months ago I started my journey out of Mormonism. I spent one year of my life as a Mormon, I learned a lot of good things, but I just don't believe most of the doctrines. I was baptized because it was a moment in my life when I was very hungry for God, but I now realize Mormonism is not the way for me.

It's been eight weeks since my family and I haven't been to Mormon church. I feel much better now, because I was constantly worrying, feeling pressured to believe, trying to censor the questions I had of the church and its beliefs.

Today I attended a Bible-centered church service. This non-denominational Christian church is focused on the family, something many Mormons in my ward claimed only the Mormon church had the monopoly. I now see that many members of my ward, starting with the bishop, tried to scared me so that I wouldn't leave: curses, menaces, Scripture quotes, etc.

My family and I are moving forward. My wife now supports my decision, and all of us are leaving the Mormon church as a family. It was a year that we spent as Mormons, from June 10 to May 11. I'm taking all the good I learned, keeping a few good friends from our ward, and tossing out all the fears and regrets.

I'm ready to write my letter to have my name removed from the church records.

I thank all of you who gave me your advice. Two months ago I thought this was going to be an almost impossible task. Now I feel liberated, full of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, and not dependent on a church.

Thank you.
En Cristo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:05AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:10AM

I'm so glad that your wife is leaving with you. I know that was a worry for you.

My feeling is that genuinely spiritual people don't feel or have the need to pressure, threaten, or coerce you to their way of thinking. They are secure in their beliefs. They are willing to share and teach, if asked, but they ulitmately know that everyone is on their own spiritual path.

Posted by: Veritas ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:20AM

Important things to remember:
1) Other religions hold families in high esteem. Mormons have no monopoly on good family life.
2) Mormons don't have a monopoly on moral living. In many ways, Mormons are two-faced about morals.
3) You are more important than the LDS church.
4) You will not be cursed if you leave.
5) You are a better arbiter of the truth than the LDS cult.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:24AM

"My wife now supports my decision, and all of us are leaving the Mormon church as a family."

Yeah Baby,Yeah!

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:29AM

Triumphant! Bravo! So inspiring.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:32AM

Congratulations.

You should count your blessings that you weren't a Mormon for any longer than you actually were :)

Posted by: transplant from texas ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 09:15AM

may the gentle breezes of Peace & Contentment accompany you on the journey

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 10:32AM

This is very good news!

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:03PM

So happy for you! I know you were worried about your wife, so being able to leave together as a family must be joyful indeed. Congrats, and enjoy this new chapter of a free and liberated life! :)

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:34PM

wow!, just wow. I did not think your wife was going to leave mormonism. congratulations. I am very happy for you and your family.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.