Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:44AM

I am finding that if we have lived in a cult for several years that we can not just walk away from it and be ok.

My education and life experience has taught me that we MUST be deprogramed. There are experience counselors that help with the process. I think this recovery board is a self help deprograming device.

After dealing with my own recovery and watching others try to get away, I have come to the strong conclusion that people are not able just to walk away from the morg. They must be deprogramed, and could take years.

What is your opinion or experience???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 12:48AM

Still peeling onion layers off!

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 01:09AM

I was the lone morgbot in my family, not married, no kids. I pretty much just quit going once I figured it out. I'd had some doubts, but one night I thought to myself, what if I do "endure to the end?" What's my reward? To be some man's 385th wife? I don't share toothbrushes or douchebags, why would I share a man? And that was that.
I did have some questions in my head about "what now". I considered returning to Catholicism, but that was a no. Judaism? Paganism? I finally decided that if there was a god, he/she would understand. I ultimately decided to take a break from religion, and that's where I am now.
I never really was a good fit with the morg. It was hard to really be myself.
I do think I'm judgmental when perhaps I should not be. I'm probably a bit homophobic--not like I used to be, but I'm not a fan of PDA's straight or gay. And I just think I could be a better person. Aw, well, I'm not dead yet.
Sometimes I am still pretty mad at the morg. I wasted 17 years in there. WTF? Oh, yeah, I didn't have access to all the info I should have.

Susan

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 01:27AM

I left about six years ago, and it was actually pretty easy, psychologically.

I did miss the instant social network at first, but I was very quickly able to find new friends that were more compatible with my new lifestyle.

I have a big extended old mo family. No one really said anything at all, but I just sort of drifted away and I miss the closeness we used to have.

I do notice odd quirks in my personality that came from growing up in mo culture; most of my friends think it is funny that I can be so domestic yet still kind of wild. I had some lingering tendencies to judgment, but I worked that out, too.

The worst thing is the anger that LochNessie described in an earlier thread. I feel a tad embarrassed that I didn't figure it out sooner, but I try to remember that the important is that I did figure it out. I certainly don't feel anything so serious that would require deprogramming. That's been my experience.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.