Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 08:45PM

I heard (via r/exmormon) that last July the church announced a roll-out for eighth-grade Seminary, starting the Fall of this year.  I think it may have been put into play for Utah County, and the like.

Then there was a Fall of 2022 roll-out announced for the rest of the world . . .

But see this notice:

https://i.imgur.com/wpGGCXO.jpg

Apparently, Satan's minions are beating the crap out of the Saints' efforts to save not only the world but their own religion.

Bummer, huh?

Now I feel cheated, with only my tawdry 4-year Seminary certificate.

I wonder if that fifth year is just going to be the first year repeated?  Or maybe Rusty is planning a fifth year where we learn about ... Rusty!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 09:23PM

Raise the bar, again ..?

Didn't work the first time tho!

What's that maybe called, if it happened once and then possibly likely to happen again?

Occams Razor, is using the simplest and sometimes first most immediate explanation.

This could easily be an Eternal Reoccurance, couldn't it?

https://www.thoughtco.com/nietzsches-idea-of-the-eternal-recurrence-2670659

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 10:51PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 01:45AM

Yup. That's where he learned to de-value human life.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 01:28AM

So now, even eighth-graders will be going to cult indoctrination every day of the week except one for five years.

Date: December 05, 2021 01:42AM

For this year.

It kinda makes sense that may be going for 12 years of Seminary, if we can assume that they call the very first year, Kindernary.

That's right, a year of Kindernary and then 12 years of Seminary. Why not?

Eventually, *ALL* mormons will have an hour of daily instruction, and the march towards the CK will be a breeze, just like Lucifer planned!

Date: December 05, 2021 02:03AM

Yes! . . . Kindernary, then Seminary, then Missionary, then Templemarry, then Coronary, then Mortuary . . .

Mormonism . . . What a life !

Date: December 05, 2021 02:18AM

"He lived a life of rhyme!"

--Kathleen

Date: December 05, 2021 02:47AM

He’s a rhyminal !

Date: December 05, 2021 02:52AM

. . . now I feel dirty. . .

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 02:55AM

Only now?

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 02:06AM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So now, even eighth-graders will be going to cult
> indoctrination every day of the week except one
> for five years.

We'll, really seven when you consider Saturday is Getting Ready For Sunday... And, instead of just 5 years, it's more like the child's Whole Life, but an extra year of More Useless "study".

Date: December 05, 2021 03:11PM

Then there’s Family Home Evening, family prayer, all those priesthood blessings, and the constant sight of those garments !!

And the ultimate cursed reminder of being named Ammon or Sariah, and having to wear that damned CTR ring.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 01:44AM

Five years of seminary and all I got was this lousy shirt.

Date: December 05, 2021 02:03AM

The morons in SLC still haven't figured out that the problem is too much Mormonism. They keep doubling down on a losing hand.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 03:56AM

It's like juvie with scriptures.

Date: December 05, 2021 04:27AM

Exactly. And it's supposed to make the inmates like their wardens more.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 08:44AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Exactly. And it's supposed to make the inmates
> like their wardens more.
Only when seeking, pain.

It is actually called a Holdover, Hang-on's or sometimes Hangover. (not the common definition)
We as former mormons seek approval from 'shoulder-to-wheel' discomfort.
It's our I-Am-Loved needle, unfortunately.

That,. and we almost never can be wrong.
Love to benefit from pointing out wrongness in others.
Hold all the cards on intelligence.
I could go on and on and on..

We have some somewhat cumbersome and unhealthy things scribbled on our slate.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 09:44AM

Yikes! Years ago when I was in Mormon Seminary and my generation was the chosen generation saved for the last days etc, etc, four years of those weird seminary teachers was way too much.
I feel sorry for the latest chosen generation if they must endure another year. And what about the next chosen generation? What will they suffer?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 12:46PM

If the church is worried about losing the young people, they could try making church more fun, not more painful.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 01:23PM

Early morning seminary became a problem for my sister who was not able to get enough sleep. It impacted her grades and performance at school. Eighth graders would be even more at risk.

Even if seminary is not early morning, it takes away a time slot at school when they could be taking classes that teach actual things.

I hope they don't do that ever.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 01:36PM

Is it to save money on the church CES teachers? Anyone please correct me if I am wrong. I thought that the church does have some seminary teachers under employment that get paid by the church because teaching seminary is their full time work. So by not teaching seminary in 8th grade they would not need to hire as many seminary teachers? Lol I think that the church is all about money. Why would they stop the indoctrination of the 8th graders?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 01:40PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 02:13PM

the Beatings will continue until morale improves

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 02:22PM

"youngsters" are falling away from the church. I think that if the 5-year seminary is a real thing, it's because the church is desperate to provide an additional year of what can only be called "indoctrination."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 02:28PM

Also:

although seminary instructor's compensation remains unchanged, the search for additional staffing (more years > more instructor time) goes into high gear...

Retirees are moving & keeping their membership on the Down Low to avoid being enlisted...

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 03:14PM

Sniff sniff. Can anyone else smell the desperation in the air? I wonder if they are adding another grade because there is not enough work for the current teachers.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 04:13PM

I'll have to tell my sister. She is a school teacher and is almost 66. She doesn't want to quit teaching as she enjoys it, but she'd NEVER teach seminary even if she still has a few (very few) beliefs. Doesn't go anymore. My daughter used to substitute for seminary. The guy who used to be bishop 2 doors down is a seminary teacher. I'm surprised that he earns that much.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: December 05, 2021 04:15PM

as I wasn't sure what I believed. We had been inactive for about 9 years. I thought it would give them some info so they could make their own decision. My son would have been much better off not taking it as he was short a few credits to graduate if he didn't take classes at the local community college, which he did and graduated on time. He skipped seminary anyway and they called my "ex" and told him and he said, "We don't care."

Maybe if I hadn't sent my daughter to seminary, she would not have gone back to mormonism, BUT she actually went back for a guy.

Date: December 05, 2021 04:56PM

>
> I'm surprised that
> he earns that much.
>

I know!

You'd suppose that an organization that has to get members to clean its chapels would be way broke!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.