Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 02:44PM

In relation to what's going on right now, I wanted to share this.

Back '02, I was friends with two young women. One, D, was a coworker at gallery I was emplolyed at for years . She and L. also lived together with L's grandmother. I really thought these two girls were amazing, fun, and intelligent. Little did I know what I got myself into with those two psychos.

L told all kinds of whacky, off the wall stories about her "cousins" in San Francisco. I never really paid attention to some very serious warning signs- Something compulsive liars do is use the same sets of numbers in their lies. She also claimed she was a coke addict at the age of 14 while living with these 4 cousins who were fabulously wealthy drug-lord scientists.
When shit really hit the fan and I started to see how nuts she was, she literally threw herself down some stairs to get out of her lies being exposed. She cracked her ribs and spent Xmas Eve in the ER. That shows you how desperate she was to avoid being caught.
The worst part, is she was stealing from her grandmother and abusing her by messing with her medications.

My point is, I'm never suprised at how many people like to lie and mess with people's lives and heads. I don't know why L decided to screw with me like that or what her motivation was.
There's just a lot of people who are lunatics.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 02:54PM by Itzpapalotl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 02:47PM

BUT HEY I HAVE FALLEN FOR CRAP BEFORE..... just not the mormon or religious crap!!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:04PM

I noticed in raising kids that around the age of four to six, children are just starting to learn the difference between fantasy, dreams and reality. If they have a dream, it's just as real as if it really happened, for instance. They are known for telling very tall tales.

Generally, when kids start to mature and get older, they are no longer interested in the fantasy tall tales, but stick to reality.

In some cases, (this is just my opinion from observation) they get so much attention for the tall tales that they keep it up as a way to cover for getting in trouble, blaming someone else, or keeping from getting into trouble for something they did that they deny,and a variety of other reasons.

I know adults that still do the same thing. They tell the most believable stories that are full of holes, if the listener is paying very close attention, but because human beings are naturally gullible, so they are believed, at least on some level, or there are excuses made for the person telling the tall tales, which apparently, appear to be believed totally by the story teller.

If called on the whopper, they take a different tactic and make it about you, the listener, and how you don't like them, or don't trust them, and you are no longer a friend, and on and on.

Some people use lying as a game to play: "Gotcha". They think it's some kind of power play that is about their ego.
We see that kind of thing a lot: what kind of a whopper can I tell and get people to believe me??

In the past, I have set someone up just to find out what kind of lie they would tell. It's easy to do. Investigators do it all the time. We see what level people will go to lie (the mother) in the recent court trial on the death of Caylee Anthony.

Some, never, ever tell the truth about anything they are asked about. They maintain the lie to their death, or right before they are put to death, in some cases.

Then there is the belief in the tall tale - - - by faith! :-) My observation. looking at the religious history of the world, this has been going on for thousands of years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 04:48PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: July 11, 2011 03:09PM

I think the worst part was how could I have been so foolish to fall for her stories? At the time, I was also CONSTANTLY stoned so I was fairly vulnerable. My ex-husband and I were seperated and I was very lonely so I allowed those two whackjobs to manipulate and pyschologically abuse me. When I say i'm a magnet for loonies, I'm so not joking.

L even made a "poppet" of me to spiritually damage me, I guess.

On the bright side, my BS detector is a lot better these days.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:08PM

I didn't know it at the start, of course. She would lie about things that didn't need to be lied about, things that didn't matter, things that didn't gain status. I think she used it as a control mechanism. I certainly felt jerked around, and like she didn't feel like I was worth being honest with. But that was all long ago, when I'd put up with all sorts of humiliating crap in hopes of getting to touch a titty or two.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:03PM

Casey Anthony's lawyer said her lies were caused by the trauma of an abusive childhood. Whether abuse can trigger that behavior, or whether that was a lawyer trying to get sympathy for his client, I don't know.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:46PM

I was made a fool of by a so-called 'friend' of mine when I was in 10th & 11th grade in HS. She & her brother made up all kinds of lies, for awhile I bought it. But then I realized what they were doing, & I felt so idiotic, as well as betrayed. I'd told her all kinds of personal secrets. I tried to tell another girl at school what had happened, but she didn't believe me.

& what is even crazier is that during the same time, a similar trick was being pulled on me by yet another person, but I figured that one out very easily, & ended that friendship after only a matter of weeks.

Posted by: xMo ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:52PM

...And then the angel took the golden plates back up to heaven. Honest!!

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:01PM

I used to work with a woman who was, among other things, a total incompetent at the job. When she got herself in deep trouble, she would announce that she had to have a hysterectomy and remove herself from the office for six to eight weeks, during which time the rest of us had to pitch in to clean up her mess. In the six years I worked with her, she had three hysterectomies. When she announced the third one at a staff meeting, I couldn't help myself and said, "What, does it keep growing back?".

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:02PM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:03PM

After the first fully hysterectomy, did the subsequent zygote get a "womb with a view"? Pah da pum!

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:04PM

I knew of a woman who got off work three different times to attend her father's funeral. You would think these sorts could find a new lie.A new relative dying or a new body part being removed would be nice and a lot more believable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 04:07PM by bona dea.

Date: July 11, 2011 04:08PM

Back at this gallery I worked at, a new guy was hired (This as the same year I was hanging out wiht those girls). There was something really off about him. My ex-husband's stepfather committed suicide, so I needed to take some time off for the funeral.

That dingleberry co-worker decided to lie to get out of work by saying his grandma died and he had to go to her funeral. The day after the stepfather's funeral.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:05PM

My aunt is like that. She doesn't intentionally fabricate, but she gets so involved in the telling that she starts making up details without realizing it. That's not what's happening here though.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:36PM

I have a friend who I used to be really close with. He's always lied compulsively, and we all knew he made stuff up, but over the past couple of years it progressed to a point where none of us could handle having him as a friend anymore. Some of the lies he told (and kept up) over the decade or so that we were friends:

That he had lieukemia and probably wouldn't live for more than two years (this was over ten years ago, and he stopped mentioning it eight or so years ago)

That his mom abandoned him when he was a kid and he was raised by his cousin (his mom not only didn't abandon him, but was a really good mom)

Told everybody he graduated from a trade institution and had his Associate's Degree even though he dropped out after less than a semester and came back home. Anyone who knew him knew he was gone for less than a year, but he told everyone anyway.

Recently told one of our mutual friends that he had multiple bachelor's degrees, even though this friend has known him since high school and knows he never went to a real college ever.

None of his lies ever did him any good, except that they gave him attention. We had a mini-intervention a few years back and called him out on everything and he cried a lot and admitted to everything and swore he'd do better. Which he did, for about a month, and then he was lying worse than ever.

Oh, same guy has faked suicide attempts three times that I'm aware of (there are probably more though). Some people just have issues.

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:42PM

I think it is an "ego" issue..they feel that if they can trick someone into believing their false story, then they are "smarter" than the other person. Thus, the lies that seem to have no purpose..

Tristan, a very intelligent blog about a woman who survived a Narcissistic mother begins with her writing that she never talks about her childhood to anyone, save her husband and two close friends.

Her mom's stories and behavior were so over the edge of normal, that she - the daughter - would often be accused of being unstable or a liar for trying to report some of the crazy stunts her mom pulled on her. She concludes, sadly, in her blog, that children are the perfect victims.

P.S. However, children grow up. She moves away, gets a great job, marries a nice guy, and tells crazy mom to stay out of her life.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:45PM

That right there is precisely why I'm glad to have so many siblings. There's nothing like having multiple eye-witnesses when describing the insane antics of a parent. My mom had histrionic personality disorder, so I'm sure me and your friend had some similar childhood experiences. I haven't talked to my mother in years, and I've never had any desire to find her.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:47PM

So those who compulsively lie just might be sociopathic, which also means there is very little empathy and very little conscience and LOTS of manipulation, usually through generating pity in others.

Like having broken ribs from a bad fall.

Date: July 11, 2011 04:55PM

And guess who was made out to be the bad guy after she injured herself? Yours truly.

It took a few months for mutual friends to realize what kind of a person she really was after I walked out on her "friendship." By the time people were apologizing to me about not believing my experience with her, I moved on.

And I blocked her on FB. I love that function.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.