Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:23PM

I have a question for all y'all :). Do you find you like to read different things in different seasons? I have noticed this about myself since I was a kid. I have always been a readaholic.

And thanks "I believed this once, years ago.." for the info on the Game of Thrones books. I will see if I can find those in digital. I watched the series on TV and have wanted to find the books to flesh out the story :).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:25PM

I tend to read lighter, funnier things in the winter when I'm a bit affected by SAD...whereas in the heat of summer I love to read horror novels, true crime or thrillers.

Which e-reader do you use, Susan?

Date: July 11, 2011 04:19PM

It is small and light. No problem holding it with the lighted cover in one hand. It takes ALL formats. I don't have to convert anything ever. It will even take .pdf and it seems like old free things can be found in .pdf (and I like old and free a LOT). The light in the cover is strong enough to read in the dark yet directed enough it doesn't bother hubby. The M font is large enough for me to see with glasses and L with sunglasses. I like the touch screen and the added features that brings. The 300 is NOT the same.

It is limited in a few things that don't matter to me.

No color.

No WiFi.

Also there are complaints about the software that comes with it but I don't know. I use http://calibre-ebook.com/ It is FREE and easy. Hell, even I can do it. THANK YOU MAK!!!!!!!!!!!

I did a lot of shopping before I got it and found a good deal. Oh, and I also found a great place that makes skins for it. Keeps it from getting scratched and now it is pretty red roses :). http://www.decalgirl.com/category.view/Sony-Reader-Pocket-Edition-Skins

There are a couple of things I don't like about it. It is so small it is easy to misplace. I am going to make it a bigger padded bag with a drawstring. And I am always reaching up to turn the page at the right hand top corner and I irritate myself!

And funny what you read when. I am the other way around. I like my light stuff in summer and my long, dark and classics in the winter. There is just something RIGHT about Dickens in January to me :)

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 05:33PM

I keep up on the latest updates, and it's just a great program. I use my Samsung Galaxy S phone to read books, but I would like to get an eInk reader at some point. The Sony looks great, but I'm curious about the new Nook. I'll get one someday.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:26PM

I read a rave review of that TV series this morning. I don't get HBO, so I guess I'll have to wait for it to come out on DVD. I'll investigate the books in the meantime.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 05:01PM

It is very good and has 27 percent less walking that LOTR.

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:27PM

If you have an e-reader...I know they do offer them in that form. I have all 4 books for Game of Thrones on my Kindle. Loving them. I only got my interested peaked in them by watching the show!

Date: July 11, 2011 03:29PM

Date: July 11, 2011 03:31PM

why would I need one when I have a Kindle lol...

Date: July 11, 2011 03:32PM

"accidentally break" your Kindle LOL

Date: July 11, 2011 03:33PM

I also think about breaking my cellphone too for a new one, but I suppose I should just wait for the upgrade that is free as opposed to paying out the rear for a phone *sigh*

Date: July 11, 2011 03:43PM

I'm a wicked, wicked monkey.

Date: July 11, 2011 03:45PM

I probably would break it lol You know sometimes you just want what you want :)

Date: July 11, 2011 03:47PM

DH always gets after me because I am always about instant gratification. But I want it NOW!

Date: July 11, 2011 03:49PM

I just want it then and now and will do what I have to to get it :D hehe

Date: July 11, 2011 03:52PM

To get it away from me, someone would have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Date: July 11, 2011 03:53PM

Especially if I can come up with this awesome "trade" he can have the Kindle since he LOVES it so much then I can get the Nook because I will be so sad and have nothing to read and I don't want to be reading it if he wants to read the Kindle.... RIGHT??? lol

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:47PM

Noway! Kindle rules from this end of the earth to that end of the earth and I haven't seen any rumors about Amazon filing BK like Barnes and Noble.

Ron

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:49PM

Now that you mention it, I do. During the summer I usually take vacations to beach destinations and read novels (spy, sci-fi and such). During the winter, I read history and non-fiction stuff. Never thought about it before. Thanks for asking.

Ron

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:30PM

I'm going through a fantasy phase again. I'm rereading the Riftwar/Empire Sagas. After that I'll probably start of something new.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:41PM

Last book I read was the Stonehenge book. I rarely have time to read for pleasure these days, sadly.

Date: July 11, 2011 03:46PM

Doesn't follow the storyline of the TV series (aside from the first book, "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" and even then the first season of the series is only loosely based on the book). These books are a lot of fun.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 03:46PM

During the school year I tend to read research papers, textbooks or any sort of literature in Spanish (Borges, Cortazar, Becker, etc) to keep myself sharp and well read in my field. During any sort of break from school though I tend to read a lot of fiction.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 04:00PM

I read science, scifi, horror, and classics, and I seem to become engrossed in one type and then another. I'm not sure if it's related to the changing of the seasons, but maybe that's it.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 05:18PM

I am serious, and read nonfiction: politics, economics, history, formerly religion (blech! - oh, wait, that's fiction!), etc., but always liked to read fiction in the winter. I read good fiction, as in classical literature, and would set aside a day or two to just sit, and read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 05:18PM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 05:19PM

The last five books I've picked up in the past month were...

Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs

Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard Template Library

Exceptional C++: 47 Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems, and Solutions

Swords & Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games

Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX

So yes, I have no problem with finding material to drive away people socially just by showing them what I'm reading! Works better than anti-Mormon literature in some circles!

Date: July 11, 2011 05:26PM

If you ever write a RPG I will be your tester :).

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 05:40PM

Yeah well if I would stop playing RPG's on the weekend, I may actually get a beta out in a few years!

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: July 11, 2011 05:39PM

What ticks me off about e-readers is that the books cost just as much or more than they do on the shelf! Since there are no physical printing costs, why don't e-books have a lower price? And the e-book bundles don't save much, either.

As for actual reading content, whenever I'd have major problems at work, I discovered my reading tastes drifted towards IRL murders and true crime.

~VOW

Date: July 11, 2011 05:52PM

And I would appreciate it if they would do like they do with records. Buy the hard copy get the digital for free. I am very very very careful with books. I did not dog ear a book or break a spine even as a very small child. But when you read a thick book many times the binding just gives out. For me, NOTHING will ever replace a hardbound book but the digital format is very convenient.

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 11:51AM

You are in for a treat! HBO did a decent job, but the books are three times as good.

For instance, I was unhappy with the casting of Renly Baratheon. In the books he is described as "the handsomest man Sansa ever saw" - a tall, barrel-chested, black-haired, Adonis of a man. His looks, charm and charisma makes it a clear why he takes the path he does.

Also, I would have wished for different casting of Cersi. She is a character with huge anger issues, and I wished they would have cast someone with more conventionally "pretty" features, but able to change from sly charm to bitter, self-pitying rage from one second to the next.

I do have a problem with some of the sex scenes; one of main "markers" of his bad characters is that they either break their word, or are abusive to animals, children, women or the elderly. There are also some pretty grim torture scenes.

However, the books are so excellent overall, I still recommend them.

P.S. Since the books run from 700-900 pages each, reading them in a digital format is so much nicer than lugging around the paper version - with one exception. The paper version has some very nice maps that are easier to read that the digital ones.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.