Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DunderMifflinGuy ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 11:55AM

Begin Rant:

I've had a bunch of posts deleted from the Reddit exmormon group. The posts have related to fun stuff I've created (permanently banned - they claimed I was trying to sell something), so I created a new Reddit identity - and to saying challenging ex-Mormon neo-orthodoxy. I can liken it to "liberal intolerance" - meaning intolerance of people with any "conservative" points of view. I posted something in the group to start a dialogue about this but, predictably, the mods deleted it. It seems like when people leave Mormonism the ONLY ACCEPTABLE position is to assume that everything they experienced in Mormonism, or every political/ideological idea is somehow wrong. Like literally, 100% dead wrong. Don't get me wrong - I like the free exchange of ideas - NOT the quashing of dissent. That's one reason I left Mormonism years ago. The Ex-Mormon neo-orthdoxy in the Reddit group is as intolerant as Mormon orthodoxy.

End rant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 12:06PM

come on over to RfM OPie ~

where we enjoy kinder and gentler mods ~

Posted by: Maca ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 02:12PM

There's probably more tollerant mods on this site, I've been banned at other facebook sites for just having a difference of opinion on unimportant ideas, and had the audacity to say something different from a mod and didn't agree with their opinion on something stupid. People tend to want their own little kingdoms and anyone different is enemy number one. A trick of the radical is to demonize the opponent call them something like homophobe or racist (which is almost always untrue) then paint yourself as on the side of the angels and everyone else as bad, this way you can silence them. Silence their arguement, cancell their culture, then move onto the next victim.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 08:53PM

For those unfamiliar, maca is using a technique known as "playing the victim." It's an attempt by dishonest types to gain sympathy and to paint their opponents (aka "anyone who dares to call the dishonest/hateful type out") as monsters. Examples of groups who play the victim are:

-Mormons: Joe gets caught burning a printing press for "The Nauvoo Expositor," gets painted as "martyred by a mob led by Satan!"

-Militias: a bunch of losers who couldn't handle the real military and think stocking up on guns will force people to obey them are "the backbone of our culture.*"

-Anyone defending Manifest Destiny: a philosophy that was used to justify the decimation of Native cultures and peoples was "the greatest chapter in American history.*"

-Anti-intellectuals: people who study humans and voice concern about bigotry are "enemies to freedom*."

*BTW, these are all from things maca has posted on the board over the years. His claim that people calling him a racist and bigot are a deception technique known as "a complete lie."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 09:21PM

"attempt by dishonest types"

We prefer the word "eccentric", but I love not seeing the fringe being bumped off "just cuz". Must you deny the cat playing with it's food?

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 09:44PM

Guy, men who paint their toenails* are eccentric, people making and supporting policies designed to crap on others are just horrible. And I know some conservatives are opposed to bigotry, but would they please chew out the conservatives who do support it?

*I paint my toenails black. I just like how they look, okay?

Date: April 02, 2022 04:32AM

Okay, but the best clowns are the ones who take themselves too seriously. Just look at the GAs. I can't be alone in loving unintentional self-parody. It's a hard thing to replicate.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 03:23PM

Alright, fine, I'll ask...

What the heck is ex-mormon neo-orthodoxy?

If you need to find me at a party, I'm usually the guy cornered by the bore, unable to break away...but it's almost always my fault.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 05:26PM

The things I can think of that might get tagged with the neo-orthodoxy sobriquet are being pro-science, and deleting posts that promote a long list of phobias - xenophobia, gynophobia, transphobia, islamophobia, sinophobia, vaccine phobia. Plus being pro-MLM will not play well here.

We do have some sub-specialties that are unique to RFM. Certain quotes from Einstein, Sagan, or Neil deGrasse Tyson may cause a messy explosion requiring a cleanup on aisle 6. Some posters are not just anti-science, but anti the entire concept of universities/intellectual elites. It's a sight to behold. People whining about cultural marxism generally get laughed off the stage.

Mormonphobia is tolerated, because, well, look at our name. You can get away with saying intolerant and unfair things about Mormons whereas you can't get away with the same level of intolerance about Islam, or Judaism, for example. While it is rare, it is possible to be so outrageous about Mormons as to get deleted.

Oh, and paper products are fine here, so anyone from Dunder Mifflin (South Lackawanna Ave, Scranton, PA) should be OK.

ETA: Oops, I should check facts before I post. Steamtown in on Lackawanna Ave. Dunder Mifflin is on the corner of Penn Ave and Vine Street (in the same sense that Lake Wobegon is dead center in Minnesota).

Dave the Atheist should make a pilgrimage to Steamtown, take the train out to the Nicholson Bridge.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2022 06:00PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 05:42PM

in b 4 ~ Brother of Jerry ~

Date: April 02, 2022 04:57AM

I tried recycling my paper products but the paper plates keep clogging the dishwasher.

To OP: The board offers a lot for absolutely free, including freedom from clunky interfaces and bandwidth waste. The site is a wonderful tribute to HTML. Should you disagree with the terms, you are entitled to a complete refund.

This is a support group with stated objectives. Perfectly valid posts that violate those objectives will often be deleted. Great responses to edgey posts will be pruned along with the offending post. If it's that important to you, you can say it again. Mormonism is a sacred cow that exists to be skewered. That is allowed here. Should it be? Sometimes there aren't enough rocks. Maybe it would be a sin to let it go. It helps me understand why Jews are still bringing Nazis to trial, or were before Ukraine made things confusing.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 04:36PM

I am not sure that you're going to gain much sympathy here.

I'm peddling some South Lake Union Trolley bumper stickers :)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 05:40PM

South Lake Union Trolley?

SLUT. That's unfortunate. but then you can buy buy "SL, UT" t-shirts here in Zion.

Let me guess - Seattle? Libs always suck at messaging. :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 01, 2022 06:36PM

Well, as you know, boards have different moderating policies and styles. Plus any board might change somewhat when there is a change in moderators. R/exmo used to have a looser moderating style than RfM, so I'm rather surprised that things have changed (I haven't dropped by there in a while.)

One of the many things that I like about this particular community is that we are free to go off topic, as long as it is kept within reasonable bounds. These are my peeps, and I have gotten some good advice on various issues over the years.

Date: April 01, 2022 09:15PM

Reddit is RfM for the brain dead.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 02, 2022 12:16AM

Old Timer Fun Fact.

It was started with posts they stole from here. And when caught, refused to stop.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 02, 2022 01:53AM

Interesting. I knew there was something hinky, but I didn't know precisely what.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 02, 2022 01:59AM

We exmos say "something hinckley."

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 02, 2022 03:18AM

Yeah, I get the same kind of chuckle as I do with JD. They are the new kid on the block.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.