Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: whathaveidone ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 01:51PM

I know this is a bit of a repeat, but I'm still struggling with how to handle the situation.

I'm a nevermo. Hubby sent in his resignation letter after we moved to a new town. He got the standard brochure and form letter which included the Bishop's name. I looked up Bish in the phone book and called him. I told him that any further contact from LDS would be considered harassment EXCEPT for the final letter confirming hubby's name had been removed from the records.

He told me not to worry - that hubby's name would be removed without trouble. Three missionaries showed up at the door anyway. We had given my parent's address because we didn't want them to actually know where we live. My father answered the door and told them to go to hell. (He's an atheist.) I called the Bishop AGAIN and told him that contact was unacceptable and any further attempts to reach hubby would result in a call to the police.

Hubby received one final phone call from a missionary wondering where to send the final letter. That was about 5 months ago. We've never seen the final letter confirming hubby's resignation.

I have emailed Greg Dodge but have had no response.

My question is: Would it be wrong of me to send an email to Greg Dodge from my husband's email account pretending to be him? It would have to be done without hubby's permission because he wants me to drop the whole issue.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 02:00PM

Yes that would be wrong.
You wouldn't like it if he emailed someone pretending to be you, would you?
He told you to drop it, so you should respect that. Otherwise, he could find out and lose trust in you. And that would be awful.
Susan

Date: July 12, 2011 02:12PM

You are absolutely right. I would NOT like it if someone did that to me. Thank you for pointing that out.

I have A LOT of things going on in my head right now and I'm not thinking very clearly.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 02:02PM

"phone call from a missionary wondering where to send the final letter."...

a) why were missionaries involved???
b) most missionary visits are coincidental/ random, aren't they?

In order to EXPECT Honesty.....

using ANYONE else's email c/would be considered misrepresentation.

My Rule: Don't do anything that questionable, it could only hurt you/someone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 02:03PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Date: July 12, 2011 02:21PM

It's a long story but for all I know, the "final" phone call was not from a missionary asking where to send the letter. That's what hubby told me. Having never been mormon I would have NO idea whether or not he is telling the truth.

Hubby is NOT an honest person. The reason this is all so important to me is because he LIED to me about having been sealed in the temple. He told me he wasn't and I found out about it after we were married.

But you are right. Two wrongs don't make a right. I am hopelessly honest in our relationship always hoping that he will start to see how important honesty is. (Of course, it makes no difference. I am CONSTANTLY accused of being unfaithful or lying or whatever.)

Anyway... question answered. Thank you. I will NOT send an email from hubby's account.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 02:04PM

Once he sends the letter, and they receive it, he is no longer a member. Listen to your husband's wishes. Drop it. This is about him, not you.

It's not illegal to contact people. We can tell them not to, and threaten, but unless they are clearly trespassing after being told to leave, might as well just let it go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 02:05PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: July 12, 2011 02:26PM

The problem with this is that unless he gets "unsealed" from his ex, I am no longer willing to be married to him. I realize that doesn't make sense to many of you but that's a deal breaker for me. So it is his choice... finalize the resignation or divorce me. I am just really tired of waiting. Planning on starting divorce proceedings soon.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 02:28PM

that hubby just tells you small camouflaged pieces because he doesn't want to stir up more drama? He just resigned. That's major.

Date: July 12, 2011 02:30PM

Considering the background I think hubby has compulsive lying issues. And I don't KNOW that he resigned. My fear is that he told someone to cancel his resignation and that he is still a member. That's major - and it scares me.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:10PM

whathaveidone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Considering the background I think hubby has
> compulsive lying issues. And I don't KNOW that he
> resigned. My fear is that he told someone to
> cancel his resignation and that he is still a
> member. That's major - and it scares me.

As I understand it, if he received the first Dodge letter, Kolobian Korp received his resignation and it's a done deal. I don't think he can "cancel" his resignation; he would have to be redunked.

What I'm reading in your posts, however, are trust and honesty issues that go beyond the resignation process. Have you told him how important his relationship to Kolobianism is to you? Asked him why he's dragging his feet on cancelling the sealing (in a loving, nonconfrontational way)? I'm just wondering if this is a symptom of greater problems in your marriage.

We're cheering for you to find the right course for you.

Date: July 12, 2011 05:50PM

I have attempted to discuss things with him and yes, I've done it in a loving, non-confrontational way. Unfortunately, any time I mention the church, he turns it into a confrontation. Any questions about it, no matter what tone I use, he ignores and proceeds to attack me. (Things like I must be having an affair if I bring this stuff up.) Seriously - WTF?

Yes, there are many issues that go far beyond the resignation process. I guess I just have this tiny glimmer of hope that if his relationship with LDS ends, then OUR relationship might have a chance. I really ought to know better but...

I knew that posting here would help me. I think I just realized that I'm probably focusing on this particular issue so that I can place blame somewhere... like on the church. But I really ought to be focusing on the other issues that have nothing to do with the church. (All though, deep down I think his honesty issues are because of the church and the way he was raised.)

I think I should just drop the issue and focus on other aspects of the relationship that need help.

Thanks to everyone for helping me to see this. Thanks Jan for providing a cheering section for me as I seek out the right course.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.