Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:25PM

I'm reading a book with a little history of psychology, psychiatry and such and it is interesting that it claims in the past that family members who embarrassed the family were often labeled "mad" to provide a convenient reason for the black sheep's embarrassing behaviors.

I was just curious if there was something similar today? I've always been a black sheep and considered anti-social in my family, but I don't think they have gone so far as tell each other and non-family members I'm crazy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:28PM

When I first told my mom I didn't believe in the LDS doctrine she looked at me like I was mad, lol. She was in shock for weeks. She's used to it now but still tries to lay on the guilt about not raising my kids in the church.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:29PM

No. My mother was bi-polar and and alcoholic. My Dad was an alcoholic and my brother dove off the Golden Gate Bridge to his death. They kinda had the corner on crazy/mad in my family.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:37PM

Wow, Ron. Yeah, you just went through a growing phase. Better to be six feet up than six feet down. Just my thought.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:39PM

When we were kids, we just thought all families were as fucked up as ours. We didn't know any better.

Ron

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:31PM

My mom was considered strange by lots of folks. I suppose this is why I've never been labelled as crazy by anyone other than my mother. When I was into rebelling as a teen she called me crazy. Thank the gods that she was such a miser she never shipped me to one of those teen rehabilitation places.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:32PM

Hardly surprising if you've read my stuff on here before.

They have also implied to family members that my spouse is a child molester...extra points right there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.