Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:34PM

There has been a lot of talk about some long cut and pastes and long articles. I have no problem with having the info out there, but I find myself getting a little annoyed when I have to scroll down the thread many times to keep up with new posts. Going through book length posts numerous times to try to keep up with a fast moving thread gets old fast and takes time. Perhaps posting a link or putting it in a separate thread and topping it if necessary would be a better idea.Just a thought.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 03:58PM by bona dea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:35PM

who *may* have missed it

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:42PM

You have only recently been cured of the habit of copying previous text in replies, whether you needed to or not.

Have you heard the expression "too soon"?

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:53PM

Quoting the previous thread in its entirety aside, bona dea has always respected the band-width issue by employing the "Because I said so!" or "Do the homework!" arguments instead of well thought out or reasoned responses.

Let's be fair.

Timothy

Date: July 12, 2011 04:09PM

You asked or rather demanded that I stay off your threads and I have. Please do the same for me.For atheist and happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 04:10PM by bona dea.

Date: July 12, 2011 04:36PM

about me on a thread I am actively posting on is attempting to provoke me.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,241137,241357#msg-241357

Like the triune posters, who talked about each other as if the others were not reading - did you think I would not notice or see it? Of course you did.

Whether provoking me with tangents, gossip, or hijacking, etc., your behavior is the same.

Please consider not making backhanded incendiary comments about me in plain view. Technically it is not on my post, but it is really the same thing I asked you not to do on my threads.

Date: July 12, 2011 03:47PM

And I have stopped doing that, but they were never that long even with the quote. I am talking of book length posts which take a lot of bandwidth and take a lot of time to scroll through

Date: July 12, 2011 03:59PM

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:08PM

atheist&happy:-) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

In the real world content meets the editor's red pen. "What's that? You have submitted an article of 400 words and I only have enough space for a 250 word article? Dang! There goes 150 of your words!"

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:49PM

If you have a problem with it, take it up with Admin.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:52PM

One thing I know for sure is that not everyone even knows how to use (or even wants to) a hyperlink to another source. I've watched folks totally freak out and have no clue how to get back to the original screen. I know, I know, it seems silly, but I went to HS with a gal that graduated Salutatorian and she can't even figure out how to post her profile picture in Facebook. I had to send her sister over to do it for her.

There are some that appreciate a long cut 'n paste, regardless our our "druthers".

Ron

Date: July 12, 2011 03:56PM

Uh, I made a suggestion of an alternate way of posting it so it wouldn't make it necessary for me and others to scroll through it multiple times in order to get to new posts. I didn't read the post in question because I had read the original threads, but the issue was not that they were posted, but that they were annoying to have to scroll through. I didn't suggest that they not be posted at all, but that they have a link instead or be posted in another thread so that they wouldn't waste the time of those who either had already read it or who didn't care in the first place. There is a difference.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 03:56PM

... looking for a fresh and unique addition to the thread only to be left unfulfilled with rehash of posts I've already read.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:03PM

I usually just punch the "End" button to get to the bottom of the page, then scroll my way back up.

Makes me kinda miss the old board software, where you can zoom directly to the new post and open only it.

But all in all, I like the new software much better.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:07PM

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:12PM

Seems to me this entire thread is wasting bandwidth.

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:27PM

Like I tell my dog when she has barked too much and too long, "Oh you just like to hear yourself so you will feel important"...

Posted by: free2bme ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:13PM

I also scroll to the end and read back after reading the original post. i do appreciate when there are links so that I can reference something I have missed so that I can catch up on something I missed.

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:19PM

I don't mind well thought out and documented posts. I do mind the vitrol that certain posters continue to spew when they have already stated their opinion and then do it AGAIN and AGAIN every few (or every other) post making the entire thread about them. JMHO ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 04:20PM by dane.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:35PM

And every once in a while he changes it up and writes short ones.

I assume it depends on the topic and circumstances, among other considerations.

Either way, as always, we're free to read or not read. Having to scroll down past a long post or through ones we aren't reading for some reason is not a big issue that's ever occurred to me. I appreciate elee's tip about hitting the end button. See? You learn something new every single day at RfM!

As someone mentioned above, sb's latest longer-length posts that brought info from several threads together was of interest to some readers and they appreciated his efforts.

As for the band-width question, that was raised by others on some of the threads, if not this one (my attention span is poor lately and I forget some things instantly) I think if Benson was hogging it, Eric might mention it.

In fact, just for fun (and Without Malice, be assured) I counted up the posts submitted by bona dea and steve benson throughout yesterday and today so far.

Score is:

benson - 14 (mostly on just two/three current topics) (and he hadn't posted for four or five days prior to that)

bona dea - 64 (granted, shorter than some of sb's but still a prolific count) (and there is daily posting, unlike sb, as above).

I realize that bd isn't complaining about the length (this time) but rather the scrolling thing.

I just heard on the noon news that 19 million children in America are abused every year (yes, I double checked that appalling figure) and that 2500 of them die from it. And that's just the reported cases and those incidents that are attributed to abuse.

That kind of sobering fact puts life's little irritations into perspective for me. Then I try to be less crabby about the non-essentials.

Like, damn, my newspaper got soggy again from this persisting summer rain we get and the delivery person throwing it short of the porch.

Or rats, the bakery sliced my bread too thin again and my homemade blackberry jam is oozing through the cracks.

Or curses, the workmen uprooted an old tree next door and now I've "only" got 40 others within my view.

And like that.

Sorry Eric for the band-width thing. I'll keep on going though until you tell me to zip it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 04:37PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:38PM

Admin will deal with it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.