Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 04:59PM

I'm just curious if anyone else from my crazy little home town has become ex-Mormon. Specifically, I grew up in Logandale, Nevada.

Although we grew up in Nevada, this area is a Mormon pioneer settlement that hasn't expanded like Las Vegas did (which was also originally a Mormon settlement). Basically, this place is like Utah, but with 120 degree summer heat.

It was in this town that I first realized the church was abusive, even if I believed "the gospel is true, even if the people are not." Like Utah, there were many wonderful LDS people, and numerous jerks and hypocrites, and a marginalized non-mormon culture.

I'd love to know whether or not I'm the only RfM lurker/poster/wary-participant from that town.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 05:09PM

My uncle and his family lived there for a few years in the 60s. I remember it as a little and kind of smelly. Not too impressed.

Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 05:24PM

It's definitely not an impressive place. There's a muddy creek that flows through the towns that can get stinky in the summer time. Oh, yes, and the cows speak for themselves.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 05:26PM

Moapa is the hometown of Juanita Brooks.

Posted by: Just Thinking ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 05:28PM

I was in Overton a couple weeks ago to visit TBM brother and his wife who live there. They talk about Brother So-and-So who wrote a history of the pioneer settlers, and how wonderful everyone is. In life it's all about perception - they perceive the Moapa Valley as their sunny Garden of Eden, a hidden corner of Paradise. I noticed lots of barren hills. All perception.

I was impressed by the inordinate number of palm trees for a little Nevada farming community. But sorry, I'm not well enough acquainted to know if any ex-mos exist there.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 12, 2011 05:29PM

I only visited once and they were digging up sewer lines which added to the 'ambience'. I was glad when the relatives moved back to their original town. It was also a small farming town, but they had the sense to keep the cows far enough away so that they didn't stink the place up.I wasn't there long enough to have any impression on Mormon influence. My relatives were Mormons but pretty easy going. They even drank coffee.Gasp!BTW, Jauanita Brooks was a relative of my mother's although I never met her. Both families were Leavitts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 05:31PM by bona dea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.