Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 07:43PM

Too Tall?

Too Fast?

Too Strong?

Not "Feminine" Enough?

This isn't going to be the last case.

Now, anyone who is just a bit extraordinary will be accused -- or accused for revenge -- just like Salem in 1692.

Perhaps they'll bring back dunking stools next and look for the witches' mark...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2022/08/18/utah-parents-complained-high/

A Utah school investigated a high school athlete — digging into her records back to kindergarten — after she defeated two other girls and their parents then questioned whether she was transgender.

School officials never told the winning student and her family about the review of her student file “to keep the matter private,” said David Spatafore, the spokesperson for the Utah High School Activities Association.

But it came after the parents of the second and third place finishers filed a complaint with UHSAA, which oversees high school sports in the state. The girl won first place in a competition last year “by a wide margin,” Spatafore said during a legislative hearing Wednesday on transgender athletes.

The association often gets complaints, including “when an athlete doesn’t look feminine enough,” he said, adding that it looks into each one. In this case, the school did an initial review of the winning student’s high school record and saw she was registered as a female student.

Spatafore said the UHSAA then instructed the school to dig further “to double check.” School officials called her middle school and elementary school to look at her file, he noted.

“The school went back to kindergarten,” Spatafore said, “and she’d always been a female.”

“If someone has been a female since kindergarten,” he added, it’s likely they didn’t transition genders.

Spatafore said he would not reveal the winning student’s grade, school or sport to protect her identity. But he used the example to show lawmakers that the association has responded to and investigated complaints regarding transgender athletes and that it intends to follow the new law now banning them from playing on girls sports teams in Utah high schools.

It raised questions, though, about how far the association will go in looking at private student records — and not involving the family when a concern is raised.

Spatafore said the student and her family weren’t told because it might be offensive or embarrassing that someone thought the girl was transgender; he said she wasn’t told to protect her. The parents would’ve been involved “if needed,” Spatafore said. But he felt the school was able to clear up concerns by looking at her records instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2022 07:44PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 07:49PM

Wow. Very disturbing.

You're right. This is going to be like witch hunts and they are going to be looking for them everywhere.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 10:52PM

And just What if (she) was trans??? So Fing WHAT????

too bad it's not 'Only In Utah'

IDK if this is relevant or not,but don't most team athletes shower together?

This is an obvious case of body stupidity by people who are torqued by seeing nude people / can’t accept- respect others’ choices.

I wish I had raised all family nudists at least clothing optional.

and btw, which century are we living in ????

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2022 12:51AM by GNPE.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 03:16AM

I think it would have mattered if she had transitioned in high school. Boys could shower with girls with just a trans self-declaration. The district has parents that don't want them to make it too easy.

So, the investigation should have been public?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 08:33AM

People have lost their minds.

BTW, pretty much any school professional can look at a student's file. I look at them all the time, whenever I want to. I have free reign in the records room. Classroom teachers will look at them at least once a year. Files contain birth certificates, parent IDs, proof of residence (i.e. utility bills,) health records and immunizations, results of vision and hearing screenings, report cards, etc. If the child is Special Ed, 504, or ESOL, those files will be available as well.

If they were that curious, all they had to do was to look at the child's birth certificate. It's on file with the school. And in most districts, the child's file travels with them from Pre-K to High School. I ferry files over to the local middle school all the time. Files are sent in large batches when children progress from elementary to middle to high school.

Also, for those who are curious -- at least in my area, the vast majority of parents do immunize their children. It's very, very rare for a parent to seek a religious exemption. But then again, perhaps the ones who don't immunize might home school or send their children to religious schools.

Date: August 19, 2022 10:40AM

Which is why several religious red states don't want to accept birth records from California, Massachusetts, etc -- even though the Constitution says they have too.

Date: August 19, 2022 11:43AM

Interesting. I did not know that.

ETA: I don't think I've ever seen parents question another child's school records before. The most I've seen is when administrators sometimes question where parents live in order to make sure that students are attending the correct school. But even then, sometimes they let that slide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2022 11:46AM by summer.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 08:52AM

This is really pathetic. Utah governor Cox agreed that it was pathetic in his press conference yesterday. He’s in danger of losing Republican caucus support for being insufficiently bigoted.

I wish I was just being snarky in that last statement, but there really are rumblings.

Date: August 19, 2022 09:33AM

>>He’s in danger of losing Republican caucus support for being insufficiently bigoted.

It's not just there. It's a requirement for many red states, and it's scary.

Date: August 19, 2022 12:03PM

I feel like I no longer understand the conservative mindset. Conservatives used to be in favor of small government, lower taxes, and budgetary restraints. You could conduct a civilized discussion or debate based on those and similar principles. Now it's all sheer lunacy. I can't crawl inside their minds anymore.

And I used to be a registered Republican for about thirty years. I liked helping moderate Republicans to make it to the general elections, and often voted for them in the generals. I like elected officials who are not too extreme in either direction, just good, sensible people who will tread a middle path. I recently reregistered as a Democrat. I just can't align myself with that degree of nuttery anymore.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 02:04PM

The "conservative mindset" is no longer a defining characteristic of the Republican Party. As Eric recently opined (stopped clock), the party is now his father's. It's a populist activist movement with no respect for America's achievements, no desire to "conserve" anything that conflicts with their present cultural agenda.

Voting for Republicans now is not voting for conservatives.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 09:29AM

So if one of the daughter's of 2nd and 3rd place finishers had finished first, they would be investigated, right? I don't know if this is a Gender issue or high school sports jealousy issue.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 10:29AM

So when do we start investigating Mormon boys for improperly using Priesthood Authority to win competitions?

Date: August 19, 2022 10:46AM

Remember when the Catholic Church had a thing where they could examine women's bodies using the excuse that they were looking for witch marks on her skin? It's like that.
Certain folks want to check out children's genitals, because, well, I think maybe they like doing it.

Date: August 19, 2022 11:01AM

https://kfor.com/news/ohio-bill-would-require-genital-exams-for-student-athletes-if-sex-is-questioned/https://kfor.com/news/ohio-bill-would-require-genital-exams-for-student-athletes-if-sex-is-questioned/

Eliana Turan, a board member at the LGBTQ Community Center of Greater Cleveland, said the bill was not based on any data and called it dangerous and scary for all Ohio youth.

“Unfortunately, Ohio has elected officials who are fomenting and recycling a lot of harmful narratives that are coming from hate groups and other anti-LGBTQ lobbies,” said Turan.

Under the bill, if an athlete’s birth-assigned sex is disputed, they would be required to establish their sex by presenting a signed doctor’s statement indicating sex based on an internal and external reproductive anatomy exam, testosterone levels, and analysis of the child’s “genetic makeup.”

Date: August 19, 2022 11:53AM

"Under the bill, if an athlete’s birth-assigned sex is disputed, they would be required to establish their sex by presenting a signed doctor’s statement indicating sex based on an internal and external reproductive anatomy exam, testosterone levels, and analysis of the child’s 'genetic makeup'.”

This could potentially be applied to middle-school athletes as well. So a 12 year-old child could be subject to invasive and inappropriate examinations. Unbelievable. I could see jealous and vengeful parents doing this to other families just to mess around with them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 12:52PM

Boy’s parents are apparently afraid of their sons getting ‘ excited’ & maybe have to “confess” to their “”bishop””, the local accountant…

Can’t let that happen bc next thing the accountants wife, then the whole world would know that pure Johnny ‘had to’ pleasure hisself…

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 12:57PM

And then girls will be examined to see if they are virgins.

Date: August 19, 2022 02:55PM

This is an interesting development.

There will still be testing and subjective judgement involved -- bringing back the question: "What is fair?"

Considering that most of the trans girls -- and boys too -- are prepubescent teens.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/utah-transgender-sports-ban_n_62ffd4a8e4b0f7df9bb04a05

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Transgender girls in Utah will be given the opportunity to participate in female sports as the school year begins after a judge on Friday reversed a ban pending legal challenges from parents.

Instead of an outright ban, transgender girls will now go before a state commission of political appointees who will determine on a case-by-case basis if they are eligible to participate. Utah’s Republican lawmakers created the commission in a law passed earlier this as a fallback plan to be implemented in case of an injunction against the law.

Under terms of the law, the panel will be allowed to ask for and assess the child’s height and weight in making decisions, about whether a transgender girl would have an unfair advantage. The commission, which is set to be convened in the coming weeks, will include a medical data statistician, a physician with experience about gender identity healthcare, a sports physiologist, mental health professional, collegiate athletic trainer, representative of an athletic association and a rotating member who is a coach or official in the sport relevant to each case.

Utah’s ruling marked the latest court development in a nationwide debate over how to navigate a flashpoint issue.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.