Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 09:24PM

I have thought it strange the church discontinued a program that worked quite well for women to get into a home and visit and observe. Women would be more likely to tell other women about problems at home.
I wonder if child abuse was being directly reported to law enforcement without notifying bishops. There are many female professionals in the church that are required to report. This would cause fits and bunched panties for church leadership and their law firm.
The priesthood would hate that women would be stepping ahead of their great power.

Thoughts?:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 08:44AM

This is why I cast a wary eye on home schooling as well. It's useful for other adults to have eyes on a child. Home schooling makes it easier to hide child abuse, in my opinion.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 11:34AM

That is a fallacy promoted by school administrations who hate it. I'm sure that it happens in some cases. We home schooled and there was lots of oversight plus we could pick and choose a number of social activities instead of raising money for the local school and PTA!
Also when they did return to the school system they were way ahead of the other kids and were put in advanced classes. We learned em real good!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 12:14PM

Teachers and administrators don't have an issue with home schooling in principle, or charter schools for that matter. A lot of people like yourself tend to forget that teachers and administrators are parents, too. They want high-quality options for their own children.

As for home schooled children having "lots of oversight" -- I doubt it, but it's possible.

And as for home-schooled kids being "way ahead of other kids" -- it depends on the quality of the home schooling. Sometimes that's a yes, and often (from what I have witnessed,) it's a no. I've seen home-schooled kids who were severely behind.

I don't mind home schooling as long as parents go with a high quality program such as Waldorf. It's the do-it-yourself crowd that worries me. I had one home schooling parent who tried to do it herself after a full workday. That didn't end well. I also think that parents should submit yearly portfolios to school officials, and also submit their children to standardized testing once per year. If the child is more than one year behind, back to the school building they go.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 12:29PM

It varies from state to state .in my particular state they required most of what you spoke of ie standardized testing etc.
But as far as administrators being supportive of it I beg to differ. And that's from personal experience.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 19, 2022 04:26PM

Elementary education always has required three parties to have a successful educational experience.

The instructor, the student and the parent (guardian) each had to do their part to make it work.

This goes for in school classes or home schooling.

If the student doesn't engage, or if the parent/guardian is working at home and doesn't engage then the success will be disappointing.

Everyone is different, some children will succeed and others will fail no matter how good or bad the other legs of the educational processes are functioning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.