Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon today ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 08:04PM

Does anybody know when coffee and tea became the interpretations for "hot drinks" in the word of wisdom? My understanding is that originally, hot drinks meant quite literally Hot Drinks. The thinking was that ingesting scalding liquid was unhealthy. In fact, there were cold drink societies at the time. Joseph's hot drink prohibition played on a common idea of the time.

At what point did hot drinks become a prohibition on tea and coffee? Because, to take the scripture literally would also have to include hot chocolate and herbal tea, etc.

Furthermore, there is an emerging Mormon fad for a product called Choffy, which is brewed chocolate. This is so blatantly contrary to the letter and spirit of the Word of Wisdom, but Mormons won't mind because the current Prophet hasn't said no to it yet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 08:07PM

Joel H. Johnson, with whose family the Prophet Joseph Smith was intimate, relates that on a Sabbath day in July (1833) following the giving of the "Word of Wisdom," when both Joseph and Hyrum Smith were in the stand, the Prophet said to the Saints: "I understand that some of the people are excusing themselves in using tea and coffee, because the Lord only said 'hot drinks' in the revelation of the Word of Wisdom. Tea and coffee are what the Lord meant when he said 'hot drinks.'(Johnson, J. H., A Voice from the Mountains, p. 12)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 08:28PM

Good thing Joseph clarified that. Why didn't God just say tea and coffee in the first place, instead of hot drinks? It's a real problem that we worship a God that can't say big words like tea and coffee. Or maybe God just didn't know them in English because he only speaks Kolobian....

Posted by: the angel moron ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 08:26PM

... today at the dentist my daughter was given a flouride treatment and one of the "warnings" was to avoid hot drinks for 24 hours. I about blew spit through my nose! Slightly of topic, but....

Posted by: GoneNative ( )
Date: July 14, 2011 08:42PM

To take the scripture literally would also clear Mos on beer: "...and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain" D&C 89:117

Nowhere does it mention "alcohol", just "strong drink", i.e. spirits; rum, vodka, gin, etc.

And also iced coffee/tea should be A-OK since they're clearly not hot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.