Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 05:12PM

The rest of the churches write articles pertaining to the Savior because we are um.... Christian.

Here is what transpired at the LDS church last Sunday and is a transcript of the newspaper article in today's paper. I'll post my church's article in a moment.

Elders (actually two of the ward's high priests) B and H (who is the BP's second counselor) both spoke on the constitution of the United States and the privilege of living in America and being able to make so many choices concerning our lives,. Our constitution is the supreme law of the land; it is the written instrument embodying the fundamental laws and principles governing our nation.

It was ordained and established by the people; it is a written document; the framework on government is established by it - powers are divided creating a check and balance system; specific powers and authorities are delegated to the particular branches of government; provisions are made for the preservation of the natural rights of man; means are provided for change.

America was to a be a land of liberty upon which no kings should rule

The constitution is a glorious standard founded in the wisdom of God; it is a heavenly banner to all those who are privileged to be under its influence and protection.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 15, 2011 05:15PM

Notice any difference between churches?
>
> Last Sunday's sermon, entitled "Compassion," detailed Jesus' loving heart
> filled with compassion for us, the children of God, a portion of the sheep
> in the Savior's pasture. It was his compassion for us that brought Him
> from heaven to earth, and from there to the Cross. When we are separated
> from God through sin, Jesus bridges the gulf as our mediator with the
> Father, and we can obtain forgiveness of our sins.
>
> Jesus invites us to share his compassion, his gospel, with those sheep
> that are wandering and scattered which have not been accounted for nor
> collected into the sheepfold of God.
>
> For more information on our services, please call XXX-XXXX (blanked out so you guys and gals won't bother my pastor) or visit our
> web site: www.XXXXXXXXXXXX.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 05:19PM

That difference is one of a long list of reasons why I left.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 05:21PM

"America was to be a land of liberty upon which no king's should rule"

Guess they missed the part where Horny Joe had himself anointed King of the World.

Oh, wait - either (a) I don't know that we teach that anymore, or (b) not all truth is useful

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 06:44PM

Otherwise the Restoration would have been impossible.

The founding fathers were smart enough to make the seperation one of the top priorities.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 06:46PM

So, uh, with some notable exceptions, history went by for thousands of years (including jewish and christian) with kings just kingin' all over the damn place and God was supposedly involved a LOT of these kingy thingies, so why the late start on the whole godly constitution thing? The two Elders you mentioned must have been reading 'The Five Thousand Year Leap" by Skousen.

Date: July 15, 2011 07:23PM

I just received a "tip" as to where the verbiage for the article came from. LOL! B. McConkie strikes again!

I told the person that I called that the USA had a "king" at one point in its history. The person laughed when I replied that JSjr had been ordained "The King of the World" by O.C. I kept the conversation very matter-of-factly, straight laced but was laughing inside.

Ha!

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 07:43PM

The churches sudgestion is to move to the US.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: July 15, 2011 07:32PM

“The time has now come to tell why we held secret meetings. We were maturing plans fourteen years ago which we can now tell... When God sets up a system of salvation, he sets up a system of government. When I speak of a government, I mean what I say. I mean a government that shall rule over temporal and spiritual affairs.” Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr., History of the Church, v. 6, p. 290, 292

“We used to have a difference between Church and State, but it is all one now. Thank God.” Prophet John Taylor, Journal of Discourses, v. 5, p. 266, September 20, 1857

“... the church must not triumph over the state, but actually swallow it up.” “Religion and Politics,” Times and Seasons, v. 5, March 15, 1844, pp. 470-471, 477

“The kingdom and government of God are the only legitimate jurisdiction that ever did exist.” Apostle Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses, v. 6, p. 49, November 1, 1857

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.