Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 02, 2023 11:41PM

Tonight when I was cooking dinner I remembered a discussion I had with my mom many years ago. She was convinced that cold water boils faster than hot water when you heat it.

I explained to her that water boils when there is sufficient kinetic energy from heat to convert enough of the water from the liquid to the gas state and for a given temperature and weight (mass) of water you can easily calculate how much more energy it requires. I showed her the formulas and did a rough calculation for cold tap water and hot tap water - "You can believe what you want" she said but I know what is true.

SO next I got a pot and we timed heating cold water until it came to a full boil, and then we timed the same amount of hot water in the cold pot coming to a boil ---and the hot water boiled very much quicker ----and then she said "you can believe what you want, but I know what is true".

My mom wasn't dumb, she was a school teacher and the first one in her family to graduate University --- but she was very much a non-doubting, non-questioning, brainwashed from birth TBM. I'm not sure why the Mormon brain didn't take with me, it did with my siblings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 12:06AM

It's amazing, isn't it?
She'd rather not believe her lying eyes or facts before having to reconsider a belief.

My mom once told me the white ropy thing in an egg (the chalaza) was the rooster's sperm. I tried to explain what it was and why it wasn't possibly rooster sperm (without laughing). But no...Mormon brain.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 12:13AM

> SO next I got a pot and we timed
> heating cold water until it came
> to a full boil, and then we timed
> the same amount of hot water in
> the cold pot coming to a boil ---
> and the hot water boiled very much
> quicker ...

Whoa, nicely done!  Did she ever figure out how you pulled off that trick?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 12:18AM

"Alas, she remained stuck in her logical phallusy."

--caffiend, three sheets to the wind (and counting!)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 12:30AM

not only Caffiend, LW

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2023 02:13AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 12:43PM

"Tonight when I was cooking dinner I remembered a discussion I had with my mom many years ago. She was convinced that cold water boils faster than hot water when you heat it."

COMMENT: I am curious as to why your otherwise intelligent, University educated, mother would factually believe this, other than your nonsensical view that this is somehow related to her "Mormon brain." Surely, there is no religious, or Mormon, reason for an intelligent person to hold such a logically nonsensical view, and few, if any, Mormons would subscribe to such a view, notwithstanding their Mormon faith.

"I explained to her that water boils when there is sufficient kinetic energy from heat to convert enough of the water from the liquid to the gas state and for a given temperature and weight (mass) of water you can easily calculate how much more energy it requires. I showed her the formulas and did a rough calculation for cold tap water and hot tap water - "You can believe what you want" she said but I know what is true."

COMMENT: First, why on earth would you provide your mother with a relatively complex, physics based, explanation of this logically obvious conclusion. Such an explanation in this context is both absurd and unfair. The intricacies of thermodynamics, including the mathematical relationships of temperature, heat sources, energy, and the unique thermodynamic properties of water, make such an explanation ridiculous as having *any* explanatory value for your mother.

In fact, it suggests that your motivation was not to "explain" anything, but merely to tout your own scientific knowledge in contrast to your mother's religious 'ignorance." Obviously, I don't know you, your mother, or the detailed circumstances here, but this is what your narrative suggests.

"SO next I got a pot and we timed heating cold water until it came to a full boil, and then we timed the same amount of hot water in the cold pot coming to a boil ---and the hot water boiled very much quicker ----and then she said "you can believe what you want, but I know what is true".

COMMENT: This is also self-promoting and unnecessary exercise if indeed you are acting in good faith, and not merely setting your mother up for ridicule. Assuming this is a genuine issue for your mother (which I doubt), all you really would have to do to make your point is provide the following, simple hypothetical explanation:

"Suppose at 2:00 o'clock you filled a pan with cold water and put it on the stove turning the burner on to some low constant heat. Then sometime later, say 2:05, you put your finger into the water and found that it was warmer than the water you started with. Then again, say at 2:10, you dipped your finger in the water a second time and found that it was hot. Finally, at 2:15, say, the water begins to boil. Now, compare the time between when you put the cold water on the stove and when it started to boil (15 minutes), to the time when you put your figure in the water the first time and when it started to boil. (10 minutes), and finally the time when you put your finger into the (hot) water the final time and when it started to boil. (5 minutes) Obviously, the time to boil was less after the water had already become warm, and less still after it had become hot." So, you see, hot water boils quicker than cold water."

End of story! (No fancy, loose, experiments involving comparable water volume, comparable heat consistency, or stop watches, designed only to humiliate, and not explain.

"My mom wasn't dumb, she was a schoolteacher and the first one in her family to graduate University

COMMENT: Exactly. I think she was messing with you because of your intellectual arrogance. This was her way of saying simply, I choose to believe Mormonism. And you have no fancy physical theories or experiments to prove I am wrong. It seems to me that the joke was on you, not your mother!

--- but she was very much a non-doubting, non-questioning, brainwashed from birth TBM."

COMMENT: Maybe so. But that is nothing more than misplaced religious faith, for whatever reason. It has nothing to do with her logical abilities or her critical thinking skills in other contexts.

I'm not sure why the Mormon brain didn't take with me, it did with my siblings.

COMMENT: But maybe in its own, non-religious, way such misplaced faith did take! Your conflating scientific ignorance with religious ignorance, and worse associating such ignorance with a "Mormon brain," is almost as ludicrous as your mother's supposed ignorance about a simple commonsense conclusion involving thermodynamics.

But, please, don't let me topple the bandwagon. Carry on!

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 02:00PM

Henry Bemis wrote in part:

"COMMENT: I am curious as to why your otherwise intelligent, University educated, mother would factually believe this, other than your nonsensical view that this is somehow related to her "Mormon brain." Surely, there is no religious, or Mormon, reason for an intelligent person to hold such a logically nonsensical view, and few, if any, Mormons would subscribe to such a view, notwithstanding their Mormon faith."

You actually read my mind on this one. While I am very much aware of people with both religious and nonreligious traditions who believe things that are provably false, I, as a nevermo, have never heard of a Mormon belief that cold water boils quicker than hot water or that rooster sperm (per Dagny's response) can be found in egg white. While these may be family traditions passed down from mother to daughter, I have not heard of any doctrine preached by Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, or any of the other male Mormon prophets on these matters. If such information exists, please will somebody let us know where the documentation for it can be found? Thank you in advance.

Posted by: notmonotloggine ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 10:18AM

inclined to believe in something demonstrably false; as she did with Mormonism.

There is a connection.

I don't think anyone here is foolish enough to believe that Mormonism teaches cold water boils more quickly than hot.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 01:50PM

“While these may be family traditions passed down from mother to daughter, I have not heard of any doctrine preached by Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, or any of the other male Mormon prophets on these matters. If such information exists, please will somebody let us know where the documentation for it can be found?”

COMMENT: It is revealing that a nevermo, such as yourself, would wonder about a claimed connection between Mormonism and the denial of common-sense thermodynamics. Those of us who were raised in Mormonism know full well that no such connection exists. There is NO CONNECTION between the history, doctrine, pronouncements and traditions of Mormonism and the denial of common-sense beliefs about the thermodynamics of water. Yet, remarkably, exMos—like the OP and the poster “notmonotloggine” still like to insist: “There is a connection.” Notice, however, they cannot articulate just what this supposed connection is, other than proposing a “Mormon brain,” or some other such nonsense.

In any event, all of this can be understood as a popular fallacy prominent on RfM, that can be stated in many forms, including the following:

“If *any* immoral act, character flaw, harmful social position, disfavored political view, violation of law, irrational belief, failure of logic, or denial of common sense, surfaces on the news or social media--or reported as a personal experience--as being associated with a Mormon, then such act, flaw, violation, or failure, *must* be attributable, in whole or in part, to Mormonism.”

By this wonderful fallacy, we can now criticize Mormonism for anything and everything that is associated with any given Mormon. If some Mormon denies common sense physics, it must be Mormonism; if some Mormon abuses children, it must be Mormonism; if some Mormon commits suicide, it must be Mormonism; if some Mormon is involved in a murder, it must be Mormonism. Of course, it never works the other way. If, by chance, a Mormon does a noble deed, Mormonism likely had nothing to do with it, or they did it despite being Mormon.

Now, the above generalization is admittedly overstated. Moreover, there *are* examples of the above negative events where the facts *do* point to a person’s commitment to Mormonism. These exceptions aside, wholesale engagement in this “ExMo fallacy” (as I like to call it) does represent a common practice here on RfM, as exemplified by the present thread, and many, many others. And some of the smartest people here (like Hedning) engage in it.

Here is another popular fallacy common on RfM, that is somewhat related:

“Since by the application of rational thinking, one can come to know that Mormonism is false, those who have rejected Mormonism (e.g. ExMos on RfM) are better critical thinkers than those that remain committed to Mormonism.”

Again false! First, rational thinking involves the knowledge and assessment of (1) *objective* facts, (2) facts related to one’s personal subjective values; and (3) the facts and practical realities of one’s personal and social life and commitments. Such personal values and practical assessments encompass a wide variety of considerations that extend well beyond mere assessment of objective facts and determining truth and falsity.

This means that facts notwithstanding, a Mormon can adhere to Mormonism either by ignorance, or through favored value judgments and related intuitive probability assessments, or for practical considerations, without calling into question his or her critical thinking skills. Of course, one *can* make moral judgments as to how one weighs such things, and how one eventually acts on such commitments. Nonetheless, one’s critical thinking skills most often have little to do with it. Thus, there is no reason whatsoever to assume that an exMormon is any better a critical thinker than a Mormon. This is born out empirically by noting that many fully committed Mormons are successful in educational and professional pursuits, including in mathematics and the sciences. Simply stated: THERE IS NO CONNECTION BETWEEN A COMMITMENT TO MORMONISM AND CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS!

Both of these “ExMo Fallacies” appear to be ingrained in ExMo psychology. That is why when someone like me (or occasionally others) calls attention to it, otherwise smart people here on RfM say manifestly stupid things, like, “Pay no attention to the man presuming to know it all.”

It is an outrageous affront when our TBM friends and family ignore us and dismiss us when we present the facts of Mormonism to them in good faith. But when someone points out our own fallacious reasoning about Mormonism, it is perfectly O.K. to ignore them, insult them, and/or marginalize them with silence.

As I like to say—-now somewhat skeptically—-we are better than that. And to the great credit of Admin, so far they have allowed this internal blunt criticism to be made; something that Mormon authorities would never do.

Anyway, as a nevermo you might take note of all this. It explains a great deal here on RfM.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 04:23PM

were accredited to "non-menbers," gee.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 07:16PM

Agreed! Mormons do not have any weird beliefs about water.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 07:51PM

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/61?lang=eng

"14 Behold, I, the Lord, in the beginning blessed the waters; but in the last days, by the mouth of my servant John, I cursed the waters.

15 Wherefore, the days will come that no flesh shall be safe upon the waters.

16 And it shall be said in days to come that none is able to go up to the land of Zion upon the waters, but he that is upright in heart.

17 And, as I, the Lord, in the beginning cursed the land, even so in the last days have I blessed it, in its time, for the use of my saints, that they may partake the fatness thereof.

18 And now I give unto you a commandment that what I say unto one I say unto all, that you shall forewarn your brethren concerning these waters, that they come not in journeying upon them, lest their faith fail and they are caught in snares;

19 I, the Lord, have decreed, and the destroyer rideth upon the face thereof, and I revoke not the decree."

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 11:19PM

No Bullshit.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 03, 2023 12:58PM

Dear OP,

Pay no attention to the man presuming to know it all.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 04, 2023 09:53PM

Not to worry, Jesus. You are “otherwise smart!”

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 01:21AM

Google the topic and there are explanations of what is real.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 04:55PM

For the mother who believes that cold water comes to a boil faster than warm water, what is real? Obviously not objective reality.

Why do church people develop delusional thinking when the church is supposedly there to help them improve themselves?

What good is saving your soul if you have to lose your mind to do it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2023 09:00PM by bradley.

Posted by: Changeling ( )
Date: March 05, 2023 08:21PM

I think of this quote from Captain Jack Sparrow "the problem is not the problem, the problem is how you react to the problem"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.