Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 03:37PM

You should be able to dress however you want -- as long as the choice is yours and not someone else's.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/most-fashion-muslim-women_n_640b5009e4b039f62db745fc

As a practicing Muslim woman, I try to dress as modestly as possible. But growing up, it was clear that being stylish meant revealing a lot of skin — dressing in short shorts, sleeveless tank tops, crop tops and mini skirts, for example. What I saw in magazines and on TV convinced me that dressing modestly was inherently unfashionable.

But finally, status quo disruptors such as Malala Yousafzai — who wore a stunning sequined dress with an attached hijab at the Oscars — are redefining high fashion. Between her modest glam and the Indonesia Now runway show I recently got to attend during New York Fashion Week, I’m beginning to see that there’s plenty of room for modesty and sartorial self-expression. And I hope the rest of America catches on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 03:59PM

Of course women can dress however they please.

Having said that, "modest dress" appears to me to be solely the preoccupation of the patriarchal religions. As such, it doesn't seem to be an organic choice of how women in those cultures and religions might otherwise choose to dress. When there is true equality between men and women in religions, then I think the manner of dress would reflect that.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 04:17PM

So Muslim is hottest? Covering your head as the Muslim leaders decree is hottest? This seems to be the a different side of the same coin.

No need to lump all of America together. No need to say the rest of America needs to catch on. Most have been "caught on" all along. Perhaps you can catch up? It's called diversity.

Look at Cate Blanchett from the Oscars last night. This isn't modest or immodest but classically elegant---which has always been around. Lots were showing every bit of their bodies they could legally get away with. Doesn't make them anything but a desperate fashion victim hoping to make fashion pages.

The glut of "stars" and singers who are using sex dressing to keep their notoriety quotient high are playing into the idea that that is all they have to offer or at least needs to be a major part of it--like their talent is not enough. Most women dress for other women and always have. Women being misogynous.

I don't like the word modesty. It misleads. It asks us to judge based on appearance. And everybody has a different definition. I like the word class which comes from who you are not what you wear.

And the important thing is to not let a religion decide whether you can show your hair such as patriarchal religions like the muslim sects who have decreed to cover your hair even unto the penalty of death. Look at Iran.

There is no one correct way to dress. One minute you want everyone to be supported no matter what they do to their bodies and the next you want to cover everybody up. I can't keep up.

Let everybody do what they want so long as they don't hurt anybody and then may they be so nice to be around that we don't care about the details. You can't expect everyone to like you unless you are likable which has nothing to do with dress.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 04:44PM

Beautifully stated.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 06:00PM

I thought that many of the dresses that were worn to the Academy Awards were really lovely and appropriate. There is a middle path between covering up everything, and exposing most things.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 04:24PM

As a heterosexual male and a huge fan of ample displays of healthy womanhood, I encourage women to do their utmost to seduce me.

But then, on the other hand, it bugs the crap out of me that many women assume that physical attractiveness, boldly displayed, is all they need to keep me interested.

How 'true' is the notion that the richer a man is, the hotter the women who are attracted to him will be?  It used to be a "defense" that finding the best situation in terms of raising her kids was enough of an explanation...

So why aren't rich women looking to fall in love with Marine Gunnery Sargents if what they want is a strong and capable father figure for their kids?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 05:23PM

from my memory bank, a (LDS?) woman published a complaint about the use of the word ‘Hottest’ especially as used with young women; i.e., why should / would women wish to be considered Hot as desirable or wanted ???

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 13, 2023 07:18PM

There's something about this that reminds me of being told that women should be happy they can't hold the priesthood. Our LDS women are happy! They love being in the home! Just ask them!
Then one step away, women love having their hair covered all the time.

Sure, it's a choice, but what is underlying how that choice was ingrained in them? If it has to do with covering up to keep men either lusting or not, there might be more behind these so called preferences. Cultural expectations somehow get confused with choice when it comes to modesty.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.