Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: orange and blue ( )
Date: March 14, 2023 12:21PM

Father in Law is devout LDS.

He told a story to my family about the Holy Ghost speaking directly to him as "plain as if he were sitting next to me" and thereby saving his business.

Grandson interrupts at the end of Father in Law's tears and asks why his friend wasn't warned by the HG about an oncoming car before getting hit and dying.

Grandfather paused and then explains that the HG only speaks to and warns those who are on the covenant path and following the commandments.

Son's friend was an active priest in LDS ward.

When I mention, Mother in Law steps in and tries to explain that we can't understand all of Heavenly Father's designs and purposes.

Realized in that moment that it's pointless to try.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 14, 2023 12:26PM

It is pointless.

People think they are soooooo special sometimes. It's annoying.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 14, 2023 12:33PM

Pointless. Pointless. Pointless.

You can't fix stupid and you can't fix Mormon arrogance which is a subset of that.

I learned the hard way like you just did.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 14, 2023 01:21PM

Religion is general promotes cherry picking by its supporters.

Good events = God (head pat). Bad events = Satan (pitchfork stabbing). At least it stays consistent under this equation.

I have had a couple of experiences in my life, that I feel there is something beyond this existence. Perhaps some kind of inter-dimensional cross over perhaps (pure conjecture on my part), but who really knows.

I think we can all get guidance\suggestions, but it is the person\you\I who takes the action. Our success is not dependent upon a superior being, our success is dependent on us. And sometimes sh** just happens.

I rejected long ago the notion of one being superior over another due to titles and\or priesthood. It is our decisions and actions that define us, and nothing else. This notion of being special, is just elitisim at its best.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.