Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 03:00PM

I feel like such a little rebel, trying coffee finally. :) I don't really like it, actually, but it's strangely comforting. So far I haven't found creamers, etc. that I really enjoy, but I do enjoy the fact that I can and will try it all I want. For once no one is dictating what I eat, drink, read, think, do, pay, and believe. Halle-friggin'-lujah.

I don't know if I'll keep up drinking this stuff, but I've done some research on the benefits of coffee - it appears that it helps ward off Alzheimers (which I'm terribly afraid of), diabetes, heart problems, and Parkinsons. Anyone else done any research on this subject? It seems to me that a whole lot of Mormons slip into Alzheimers and/or dementia when other segments of the population often don't. I think you have to drink a LOT of coffee in order to get the benefits, and there are some negatives to it too (addiction, potential jitters, adrenal exhaustion, etc.), but I still have to wonder if the benefits outweigh the negatives and it's worth it to keep trying different kinds and mixes until I find something I really enjoy. Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 03:07PM

I have always enjoyed coffee. Tried several combo's but now just strong,, black ,,1 or 2 cups a day. I think it is god's favorite drink also.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 04:19PM

introvertedme Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I feel like such a little rebel, trying coffee
> finally. :) I don't really like it, actually,
> but it's strangely comforting. So far I haven't
> found creamers, etc. that I really enjoy, but I do
> enjoy the fact that I can and will try it all I
> want. For once no one is dictating what I eat,
> drink, read, think, do, pay, and believe.
> Halle-friggin'-lujah.
>
> I don't know if I'll keep up drinking this stuff,
> but I've done some research on the benefits of
> coffee - it appears that it helps ward off
> Alzheimers (which I'm terribly afraid of),
> diabetes, heart problems, and Parkinsons. Anyone
> else done any research on this subject? It seems
> to me that a whole lot of Mormons slip into
> Alzheimers and/or dementia when other segments of
> the population often don't. I think you have to
> drink a LOT of coffee in order to get the
> benefits, and there are some negatives to it too
> (addiction, potential jitters, adrenal exhaustion,
> etc.), but I still have to wonder if the benefits
> outweigh the negatives and it's worth it to keep
> trying different kinds and mixes until I find
> something I really enjoy. Thoughts?

Don't give up on it just yet! I didn't like it either at first, but man, it is so good. It hits the spot at times other things just can't.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 04:21PM

Nectar of the gods, IMHO. I like fair trade organic stuff. With some Mocha Mix (brand) non-dairy creamer. Yum-O!

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 04:22PM

Try chocolate raspberry creamer. It is by Coffee-mate. I love the Mocha Frappes from McDonald's but they are fattening and have a lot of sugar. Not bad every once in a while though. I don't really like coffee from the coffee pot anymore. I get sick of it.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 09:16PM

Have you ever thought of cold brewing your coffee? I do that and I can drink it black, but none of the acidic bite.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 04:24PM

they have adverse reactions, or contributes to their blood pressure problems.
Some people don't care for the taste or the aroma.
I like a small amount of coffee, maybe a cup or so a day, that's all I can tolerate.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 04:32PM

Ahhhh, whatever. There are both good and bad with coffee. Ward off Alzheimer's and die of high blood pressure if you are prone.

I keep it to a cup, maybe two at the most in a day. I like it best served with friends or family. Alone, it just isn't as good.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 04:44PM

Just this week, my rheumatologist told me there are many benefits to caffiene!

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 05:00PM

There's ofcourse a universe of different flavors, brands, creamers e.t.c. to try if you want. I still prefer my own instant with ordinary milk. Less bitter tastier and not as hot.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 05:06PM

When I started, I drank it with half and half and either sugar or Torini syrup. Now I prefer it unsweetened and While I was in Italy, I developed a taste for cappuchino. That is what I usually drink now. For a beginner, I recomment lots of cream and sugar. Just don't drink a lot if calories are an issue.You can cut down on the fattening stuff bit by bit. I really think for most people coffee is an acquired taste

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2011 08:02PM by bona dea.

Date: July 16, 2011 08:05PM

Black gives me heartburn and I don't like it much anyway, but I don't think a cappuchino with no sugar and about 1/4 cup foamed milk is that fattening. That is 1/4 cup before it is foamed.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 05:11PM

My suggestion is to always start out slow, and to be careful until you know how your body responds to caffeine.

Date: July 16, 2011 05:12PM

Don't drink it at night until you know if it is going to keep you awake.

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 05:43PM

(1) If you ever have to be at work at 6 AM, you will understand the benefit of coffee drinking COMPLETELY.

(2) Working a 10-hour or 12-hour shift will also teach you the benefit of drinking coffee.

(3) Learn to drink it black. ZERO calories. And caffeine too!

(4) Coffee is an automatic social drink, better than alcohol. Just think of coffee breaks, meeting for coffee, offering a cup of coffee as a hospitable gesture.

(5) Coffee is a perfect complement to sweet treats. Coffeecake, donuts and coffee, pie and coffee and nothing in the world beats cookies and coffee!

(6) Coffee can alleviate headaches and asthma.

~VOW

Date: July 16, 2011 05:48PM

Let me add that I like coffee, but there is no law that all ex Mormons have to like it. I would give it a chance and after a few months, if you still don't care for it, I'd give up. Also, coffee is great for most people if they like it, but it can cause the jitters, sleeplessness and stomach problems in some.If you are one of those people, I would find something else to drink.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 07:43PM

Thanks, all. I'm going to do more reading about the potential health benefits, but I also think it would be so nice to start out my mornings with some coffee to get me going - I don't sleep well, so I have to knock off the caffeine early in the day, but I often have to sleep in the morning for a bit before I'm awake and ready to go. Maybe coffee will help give me that time back. There's much to do in life and I hate to lose time I could spend working on things I like. I'm going to buy a variety of creamers and other flavors of coffee - we'll see if any of them work. I'll keep you posted. :)

Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 08:01PM

I have to stay away from caffeine since I have issues with anxiety, but I do like decaf hazelnut lattes from Starbucks - iced or hot. I love the smell of black coffee, but not the flavor.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 09:02PM

For me, coffee was the hardest thing to give up as a convert, so when I quit, I basically went back to where I left off. I prefer it black as it has zero calories, but when I want to treat myself, I'll have a mocha or a cappachino on rare occasions.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 09:10PM

Some people complain of crashing after the coffee wears off. I don't get this but I drink my coffee black. I think the crash might be caused by the sugar and milk of creamers wearing off.

I grind my beans fresh in the morning and brew two cups. That's all the caffeine I need to get me through the day. When someone offers me a soda I turn them down.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: July 16, 2011 09:49PM

As a Morgbot one of the things I was totally naive about was how to make coffee. I seriously am an idiot about how to make a simple pot of coffee.

So I bought one of those Keurig machines you see on QVC that has all these little Keurig cups with different flavors of coffee. Love it.

My favorite is Newman's Organic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.