Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 30, 2023 03:18PM

We’ve had a couple of strange experiences lately.

Two months ago, our doorbell rang at 8:30p.m. Hubby answers the door and there were two casually dressed older men on the front porch. “Hi! We’re your missionaries…from 40 years ago!
They had taught my hubby just a few months after our wedding.
One was from a southern state in the U.S. and his companion was from the South Pacific. They had traveled here for general conference.

We invited them in, had a nice conversation even though we told them we had resigned a few years ago. Before they left our house, the one from the South Pacific gave us his home address and said that we and our family were welcome to stay with him anytime we ever could make it there.

This past Sunday, our immediate family members were over for a bbq. Again, it was 8:30 and everyone was leaving to go home.
We were standing on the front porch saying goodnight, and here comes two missionaries over to our porch!

They were nineteen and told us that they had been teaching our next door neighbor and that he had been praying about the Book of Mormon, and that they were going to be seeing him Tuesday afternoon (today). Even though we also told them that we had resigned, it didn’t matter to them. They wanted us to go over with them today to help them convince our neighbor to get baptized!

They were very pushy and kept repeating their testimonies every time we tried to tell them some facts about TSCC.
Finally, we told them that this organization is a business and a cult. The senior companion said that it’s not an organization; that it is in fact, “the truth”. Then they reached out and shook our hands and left.

Yesterday, hubby went over to our neighbor to warn him what the missionaries were up to. Our neighbor said that they are very aggressive and he’s been hiding from them as much as he can. He’s going to ask them some pointed questions about church history today. It should be interesting!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: May 30, 2023 03:56PM

I have not stepped into an LDS chapel since they closed for Corona. I have attended Mass a couple of times. The first agent of shame to show up was the elder's quorum presidency. The "president" took charge. He was a bastard. (swearing, sorry) My wife, who keeps me from being a jerk most of the time, asked why I had not asked him to leave? That surprised me. She has never, in 36 years of marriage told me I should have shown someone the door.

So first contact, niet. Since then I have had texts, phone calls, people showing up at the door, Saturday last the sister missionaries appeared on my porch again. Twice this year.

That is interesting they hunted you down. The love will keep flowing your way. You might want to either call or email someone at the stake level to quit. If you know an attorney, or have one on retainer, bbc the email to them after asking them of course. The members in your area will not stop.a

In the last three years I have had much less stress, I have avoided a mindless bean counter calling (Keeping those members busy!). I have a new German sports car. I have had emails, here and there about that. My ministers drop by. I am OK with their coming by, I like them.

In general I just want to be left alone. The older I get the more withdrawn I am becoming.

Good luck to you!

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 30, 2023 04:00PM

The most disturbing thing to me about your experience with the missionaries is that I used to be like them! I remember bearing my testimony when hitting a brick wall with investigators, thinking they'd feel the spirit. I felt so pious. It's really amazing to me that I managed to leave the LDS cult. For a time I really believed it was "true."

It was a brilliant move for Joseph Smith - or whoever though of it - to have members bear their testimonies frequently, especially when unable to answer difficult questions. It strengthens their testimony, makes them a little crazier and more dedicated and stumps the investigator or doubter because it's not easy to argue with someone who says they "know" nonsense is true because of a feeling. Why bother to continue the discussion with an idiot.

I think it's great that you warned your neighbor. The missionaries probably told them that you were active Mormons. Maybe the next time they bear their testimonies counter with, "I know it's NOT true." How will they respond to that?

Posted by: Northern_Lights ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 01:14PM

Your comment about saying you know it is not true reminded me of an investigator we had. She asked us if we were the Church of Jesus Christ? We said why yes, we are of course. She told us she wanted to join God's church so she was going with the JWs.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 30, 2023 04:51PM

Yeah, no coincidence there. You are on the ward's list.

I would support your neighbor to do what he wants to do with regard to the missionaries. Let him know that it's okay to say, "No, not interested," or "Please do not come by unless we set up an appointment." There's no reason he should be hiding from them in his own home.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 11:18AM

Love bombing

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 11:46AM

Given your neighbor’s comments, you should agree with to go back there with the mishies, but to team up against them and help your neighbor blow them off! Then maybe they’ll realize that there’s no point in bothering with either of you.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 01:52PM

they seem to come in spurts and then they disappear for a while. I love the trying to be sweet. They do that to me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.