Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 11:31PM

Hi guys, I've been plugging away at analyzing and summarizing the data from the Exmormon Survey and have two more items to reveal and discuss. These figures are based on the answers from 537 people who saw it announced on popular NOM/Exmormon Sites.

----------------------------------------------------
How old were you at the time your disaffection began?

15 and Under 4.12%
16-20 14.31%
21-25 16.08%
26-30 18.24%
31-35 15.10%
36-40 13.53%
41-45 7.25%
46-50 6.67%
51-55 3.12%
56-60 1.18%
61 and Older 0.20%

Median Age: 30.5 years

-------------------------------------------------------

I recognize that it's hard to pin down the exact time your disaffection began. Some folks mentioned that, and I get it. But for most there was still at least a year of their life where it progressed to the point of desiring/needing a change.

Something about those youngsters! I forget where Generation X ends and Y begins, but my guesses as to why more people leave when younger is:

-More internet-savvy
-Less to lose by leaving
-Culture of skepticism
-Culture of getting facts from google
-Still seeking to define oneself
-More stressed? (for me at least--Married, toddlers, active, stressed, wondering "Is THIS all there is?")
-Any guesses WHY these answers are what they are?

And, what does this MEAN for the success of "sharing the un-gospel?" I know I'll be entering more specific age ranges in when advertising the book on Facebook :)

------------------------------------------------------
How long ago did your disaffection begin?

< 1 year ago: 4%
1 Year ago: 11%
2 years ago: 16%
3 years ago: 16%
4 years ago: 8%
5 years ago: 7%
6-10 years ago: 15%
11-15 years ago: 9%
16-50 years ago: 14%

Median: Disaffection Began 4 years, 2 months ago

------------------------------------------------------

I was surprised that fewer folks' disaffection began less than a year ago. But, FYI, <1 Year ago really means <6 months, 1 year ago means 6-18 months ago, etc. It's just how the answers were collected and I don't feel like fixing it yet, just so you know. So it might be 7-8%.

Interesting drop-off after 3.5 years. My hunch is that recovery is a lifelong processm even after "moving on," but the first 3 years are the most intense, and these boards' active membership is mostly comprised of people in the first 5 years or fewer. After that, my guess is most "move on" but some stick around to offer support much longer.

So whoever buys this book is going to be most affected positively if they get it during that 3-year window of time. We might have guessed this from experience, but I'm happy to have confirmed our assumptions or at least having something to work with.

Any guesses WHY these answers are what they are?

And again, what can we as a community DO with this information?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 03:32AM

Posted by: hurtheart ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 10:46AM

It started right now. I am 32.

Posted by: anona ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 11:34AM

disaffection for 40 years...

now that I am much older I see many of the retirees and pre retirees in the same disaffected boat.. my guess the stats/survey would be much higher in this group if you could get them to talk about it. They are pretty tight lipped and have too much to lose at this point. Trust me, there is a bunch of us out there. Just look around in your sac meetings
and look for those not so happy faces.

Most men live in silent desperation

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 01:09PM

I also think the more you've given to something the harder it is to leave...could make leaving more difficult the older you are. I wish I hadn't wasted 14 years of my youth and truly feel sorry for the older folks who live in quiet desperation and may continue with it the rest of their lives.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 02:28PM

then it took five long years for me to think my way out of Moism. I formally resigned (submitted a letter) at age 50. I've now been out eleven years. Best years of my life.

Posted by: periwinkle ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 02:42PM

I had my first thought of 'what if this isn't true?' at age 20. Still went back.
Stopped going at age 33 when SP told me I wasn't worthy for temple recommend but could not tell me why. I felt soooo terrible, then angry, then left.
But I had children and wanted sunshiny primary experience for them so I went back. The older one hated it, but I forced her for awhile. Fun times there. The younger one was 'a good girl'

Then my husband died and members treated me differently. Some of the women were real b*#@ to me. I guess because being a widow means the high priests visit you, and they wanted their husbands at home not visiting some hot widow and her angry kids.
I felt like I didn't belong and experiences with the church in recent years have only reaffirmed that belief. I am too strong for them.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 03:21PM

I believe Generation Y is defined by people born between 1982 and 2001. For the 1982 group, the internet developed while they were in high school, and became mainstream once they came of age (I was born in 1982, and often feel like a cross-over between old-fashioned and new attitudes towards computers/the internet).

Posted by: mormonista ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 08:30PM

all on the proverbial shelve of unanswerable questions until it finally broke , when I was exed for something I did not do..... I was 35-ish

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 08:41PM

I got out in the early 60's,,in my early 20's. Can truely say,,never really believed any of it.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 09:50PM

11 months ago. 48 years old. Google led me here and I clicked.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.