Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 07:03AM

Grifters.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 08:57AM

Here is an excerpt:

'Church donations and tithing in Australia are not tax-deductible unless the church is also a registered charity, according to the country's tax code. While The Church of Jesus Christ has multiple charitable arms across the globe, the religion itself is not a recognized charity in the country.

To avoid having its members pay those taxes, the newspaper alleged the Church moved donations into a charitable trust. The funds were then transferred to LDS Charities Australia – according to the report – which it stated labeled as the “shell company.”'

Interesting that the corporation is not registered as a charity in Australia. Does anyone know why? I would assume Scientology and other cults have a similar situation in that country.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 09:05AM

Eric, my understanding (based on reading previous articles) is that Australia's tax code does not allow for donations to churches to be deductible. Under the tax code, churches are essentially treated as private clubs. If the church has a separate charitable arm, i.e. Catholic Charities, then donations to that charity can be tax deductible. The charitable arm has to follow certain rules, such as the directors operating within Australia, and (I think) donations being used within Australia. Typical charitable endeavors might be running a soup kitchen, food pantry, or a subsidized home for the elderly.

The Mormon church, of course, thought it was above all that. Hence, its troubles.

I love how Australia treats churches in its tax code, and wish that the U.S. would do the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2023 09:06AM by summer.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 24, 2023 07:10PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I love how Australia treats churches in its tax
> code, and wish that the U.S. would do the same.

Don't hold your breath; ChurchCo would tag along with other churches to fight this with/until their last breath.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 20, 2023 11:35AM

The LDS church has some talented (albeit brainwashed) attorneys and tax experts on staff. They'll find a way.

In the end, it's a win-win situation for the Mormon church.

If they win, God protected them.
If they lose, they're being persecuted.

Magical thinking at its best.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 24, 2023 08:32PM

Too bad they’re not nearly as quick at redacting the white supremacy and blatant racism from the word of their racist God.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.