Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: July 30, 2023 05:39PM

Anyone care to speculate?

My guess: Three life terms without parole to be served concurrently.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 30, 2023 05:42PM

Consecutive sentences work for me. I don't want to see her ever get out. I think she is a danger to society.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 30, 2023 05:54PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 30, 2023 06:28PM

You've been waiting what, 30 or 40 years to make that joke?

Date: July 30, 2023 06:30PM

Date: July 30, 2023 06:49PM

Watch it, you ruddy old roue. I know where you golf.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 30, 2023 07:05PM

Some places (Washington where I live) allow conjical visits for married offenders, they have a mobile home inside the prison grounds.

IDK if that includes when both are incarcerated...

Also IDK if being in a Domestic Partnership qualifies.

Date: July 30, 2023 07:14PM

I could care less about the possibilities of their sex life but I'm curious about the legality of their marriage. Supposedly they were married in the temple? Would that have required a marriage license? What state? (I forget which temple they got married in.)

What is the status of her marriage to Chad?

Date: July 30, 2023 07:22PM

It's my recollection that Lori and the-next-to-face-trial were married in Hawaii after waiting two weeks after the death of the-next-to-face-trial's wife.

But it turned out that he was consolable on his wedding night...

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 30, 2023 11:50PM

Yes, getting married in the temple requires a marriage license.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 30, 2023 07:46PM

She needs to never, ever, get out. I don't believe the last three were the extent of her killings.

Date: July 30, 2023 08:19PM

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't
> believe the last three were the extent of her
> killings.

Agreed.

Date: July 30, 2023 11:29PM

Agree as well. I hope they haven't stopped checking into the death of Joe Ryan.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 30, 2023 11:52PM

Considering how many people will be watching this development with bated breath, I expect this will be the least surprising sentence imaginable.

Date: July 31, 2023 11:37AM

BoJ-

I think U mean BAITED

Date: July 31, 2023 11:48AM

I think U mean you...

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 11:50AM

"Bated" is the correct term here. Bated means "on hold", as one does with one's breath when one is on edge awaiting some momentous announcement. IOW, holding your breath. Baited breath would be my girlfriend's minty freshness as she tries to get me to get physical. Thank you.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 11:29AM

Three life sentences, served consecutively. BUT she gets to keep her temple recommend........

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 02:04PM

From what I can find they are doing the victim impact statements now.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 02:09PM

You must, MUST listen to Lori Vallow Daybell's statement to the court.

If anyone has any doubt about what religion can do to one's mental health, this should put it to rest.

Date: July 31, 2023 02:12PM

Do you have a link?

ETA: Found it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2023 02:13PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 05:14PM

She sounded nuts.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 09:34PM

Her attorney was unusual too. Said Jesus wanted her to be free again. Lori has been sharing water or koolaide with him. He starts with Jesus and bible verses.

Date: July 31, 2023 09:48PM

A lawyer is obligated to do his best for his client. In this case Vallow's only hope was to turn some Mormons against the prosecutor.

I'm not sure there was a more promising defense he could offer.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 02:30PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYRaQimuhg

Judge: No remorse

Life no parole

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 02:44PM

Life, no parole is a gift. She should be burned at the stake. Even that's too good for her.

Date: July 31, 2023 02:51PM

It's life without parole. What does that mean, exactly? Is she ever getting out?

Date: July 31, 2023 02:57PM

Date: July 31, 2023 03:12PM

Okay, I can see from Anybody's post below that she got five life sentences, with three of them to run consecutively. That should cover it.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 09:57PM

Not unless she is like unto Nephi and she starts glowing and the prison walls come tumbling down.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2474584

Date: July 31, 2023 03:08PM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/doomsday-mom-smirks-sentencing-hearing-162752707.html

After hours of harrowing statements detailing how Lori Vallow Daybell murdered her two children and conspired to kill her husband's first wife, the Idaho “doomsday mom” on Monday indicated she wanted to speak.

Dressed in a orange-and-white striped prison jumpsuit, Vallow immediately teared up as she began to speak in her own defense at a sentencing trial in Fremont County Court Monday. Still seated and flanked by her two defense attorneys, Vallow began by reading a quick scripture and expressing her grief for the 2019 deaths of her two children—7-year-old Joshua “JJ” Vallow and 16-year-old Tylee Ryan—and her husband's late wife, Tammy Daybell.

But, she clarified, “Jesus Christ knows that no one was murdered in this case.”

“Jesus knows me and Jesus understands me. I mourn with all of you who mourn my children and Tammy,” Vallow said. “Jesus Christ knows what happened here. No one was murdered. Accidental deaths happen. Suicides happen.”

The acknowledgment was among several shocking statements Vallow made during her nearly 10-minute rant, where she also described a near-death pregnancy she experienced and claimed she has spoken to all three of her victims since their deaths—adding that the trio is “busy and happy in the spirit world.”

But Judge Steven Boyce did not buy Vallow's statement, offering a searing admonishment of her behavior before sentencing her to five life sentences without the possibility of parole.

“You justified all this by going down a bizarre, religious rabbit hole & clearly you're still down there,” Boyce added, stating that Vallow has any remorse for her actions. The judge, when rendering his sentence, ordered that three of Vallow's life sentences will run consecutively.

The sentencing is the culmination of a surreal trial involving religious extremism, “demon” zombies, and marital strife. In May, Vallow was convicted of all charges in connection with the 2019 deaths of her two children and Daybell. The murders occurred just before Vallow and her husband, Chad Daybell, got married and fled to Hawaii.

In her statement, however, Vallow claimed that she has spoken with her children and Daybell, whom she called a “wonderful friend.” In one conversation she claims to have had with her 7-year-old son, Vallow said JJ insisted that she did not do “anything wrong.” She concluded her statement by stating that she looks forward to be reunited with the three.

“I know where they are now and what they're doing. I know how wonderful heaven is, and I'm homesick for it every single day,” she added.

Prior to Vallow's statement, several family members of the victims offered a different perspective on the heinous crimes—and how she should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Samantha Gwilliam, the sister of Tammy Daybell, called Vallow a “liar, adulteress, and [a] murderer” and said, “No angels are coming to rescue you”—an apparent reference to Vallow’s apocalyptic religious beliefs.

“You will live in your prison cell for the rest of your life,” she added.

Vicki Hoban, one of Tammy’s aunts, told Vallow she hopes the rest of the 49-year-old’s life is “filled in fear and you live every day terrified” for her role in the “savage murders of great people.” In a statement read by Madison County Prosecuting Attorney Rob Wood, Vallow's son also offered a heartbreaking analysis of his life since 2019.

“I’ve lost my entire family in life. I've watched everything crumble and be shredded to pieces. I have lost my sister, brother, father and mother. I have lost cousins and family, friends and everything in between,” Colby Ryan, who was not present in court, said in the statement.

The harsh words, however, did not seem to visibly affect Vallow. Throughout the statements, she was seen looking away, talking to her lawyers, and smiling.

Vallow’s defense attorney, John Thomas, acknowledged that there is a “lot of hurt surrounding this case” and admitted that he has been praying for weeks about the outcome of his case. He added that he is aware that his client is perhaps “the most hated woman in America… and maybe even the world,” but that those negative views of Vallow will not bring closure or justice.

“We need peace to replace the hurt,” Thomas said after quoting Martin Luther King Jr. “Lori is a very misunderstood person…She is about love. She has redeeming values.”

Date: July 31, 2023 03:10PM

She told the court:

•She had an NDE while giving birth to Tylee.
•She didn't want to come back to her body but was told she needed to.
•She's had numerous conversations with Jesus.
•Both JJ and Tylee have visited her. They are happy and busy.
•Tammy Daybell, her "dear eternal friend" has visited her and is happy and busy.

Date: July 31, 2023 03:32PM

I'm sooooo glad that she says ('believes?') that JJ & Tylee are "happy and busy" in the spirit world!

I doubt if she will be when she dies.

aside: I'm thinking her TR & membership were pulled when she was convicted, but probably we'll never know for sure bc ChurchCo no longer publishes the names of those X'd as they did previously; what a SHAME.

Date: July 31, 2023 05:35PM

My hope is that her fellow prisoners will shut that nonsense down, and just refuse to listen to her fairy tales. Welcome back to the real world, Lori, where no one likes a child killer -- not even other felons.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 05:47PM

There's a part of the endowment session where the signs and token are given and received through a "curtain". The Temple presidency could visit her and give her the signs and tokens through the bars.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 10:08PM

According to Mormon doctrine, heaven is a better place. Way better. So awesome if you saw it you would kill yourself to get there.

Her kids endured to the end, which their mother brought early doing them a huge favor. How many Mormon moms send their kids to live with their Heavenly Father? Imagine the suffering they skipped.

I think the judge just doesn't understand the Mormon death cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2023 10:10PM by bradley.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 07:17PM

The local news showed Lori babbling on about talking to her dead kids, etc. She used her best testimony voice too.

Funny how people who live in my area say things like that all the time at church like it's perfectly normal. However, when the same kind of crazy talk is shown on TV in a murder case, they act all shocked.

It reminds me that supposedly people talking about Jesus in church is normal, but if you talk to Jesus in your basement, you're nuts. Go figure.

Date: July 31, 2023 07:38PM

I think in the end, if she's sitting in a jail cell for the rest of her life, no one will care. But if I were a fellow prisoner, there is no way that I'd listen to that self-indulgent drivel.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 31, 2023 07:48PM

Agree. She's going to be considered a loon in jail. OTOH, she'll probably find converts. Shrug.

Lots of people will listen to that kind of drivel from each other at church and never connect the dots. All they know is they feel special and righteous having information others do not have.

I can see why JS had to tell people to knock off some of the personal revelation stuff since HE was supposed to be the one talking to heavenly folks about how to run things.

Date: July 31, 2023 09:28PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agree. She's going to be considered a loon in
> jail. OTOH, she'll probably find converts. Shrug.

In Idaho?

YEAH! That just might work (if no victim of child abuse doesn’t punch her ticket)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.