Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rj ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 11:58AM

So what do I mean when I say "certainty is a bad thing" Well, just that.

It is a common occurrence to encounter religiously minded people indicting the scientific community for changing its mind. Scientific endeavors, it seems, are not to be trusted because they are often proven wrong at some later date, either in whole, or in part.

In fact, scientists find certainty to be completely useless. You actually score points for proving others, or even yourself wrong because it means you have discovered additional information.

My atheism, and likewise the fact that I hold to no belief in an afterlife are not based on certainty. I am willing to go absolutely anywhere the evidence takes me and will change my mind on anything. Indeed, there is little I believed about the world around me when I was twenty that I still believe today.

In general do religious people make the same claim? No they do not. I absolutely hated listening to those at the pulpit during fast and testimony meeting who claimed not only that they believed the church was "true", but said that they KNEW "with every fiber of their being" whatever the hell that means. Such arrogance!

Our pursuit should be to discover reality as it is. It can be frustrating because we don't have all the answers, but in a way it is that aspect that should most excite us because there is opportunity for discovery. We cheat ourselves by fabricating answers to the unknown. Speculation about the afterlife falls into that category.

Religious people often choose to disparage those that wont join in the delusion. I'm happy in my uncertainty and find the words "I don't know" to be among the most liberating an individual can ever speak.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 12:04PM

"Science changes its view based on what's observed. Religion denies observation so that belief can be preserved."

-Tim Minchin

Date: July 18, 2011 12:19PM

I love Tim Minchin!
Thanks for the quote, that's a good one.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 12:12PM

Agree!!

Agree!!

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 18, 2011 12:31PM

Very much agree.

I would say I'm not even certain that TCSS isn't true! However, after studying the evidence (personal and historical) to my current point, the probability is so low it's not worth doing anything about. Doesn't mean it can't change, but after so much studying as a TBM, I doubt I'll find enough evidence to even come close to tipping the scale back.

Here's my uncertainty-o-meter / religious beliefs:

75% Atheism
20% Spiritual Realm with or without Deity or creator who doesn't care if I believe
4.5% Deity who cares if I believe, but non-dogmatic
0.49% Deity with dogma in existing religion
0.01% Mormonism

List subject to change, certainty not allowed.

Date: July 18, 2011 12:44PM

I'm 0.0000000000001 to the millionth power on Mormonism.

However, if I die and magically come back to life and a couple of young guys in bicycle helmets approach me with a Book of Mormon, I'll be forced to rethink things.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.