Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 24, 2023 04:58PM

Here's a funny story about TBMs asking someone sitting next to them (on a flight out of SLC) to not drink an alcoholic beverage. The flight attendant is amused:

https://www.reddit.com/r/delta/comments/16r42mf/please_dont_drink_that_near_us_we_dont_believe_in/

I think the wine-drinking passenger handled it well. How would you have handled it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 24, 2023 05:20PM

I think I would have handled it the same way, except I'd add a few quiet moans of pleasure and contentment with each sip. If they said anything more, I'd throw in a "but it's delicious to the taste and very desirable."

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: September 27, 2023 11:17AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 24, 2023 09:31PM

in the Olive Garden when it first opened up here in Logan. They don't show you a bottle of wine when they wait on you nowadays I think. It has been a few years since I went there.

You'd think the world rotated around only them.

I used to be concerned when my uncles and aunts would drink at the family parties including my dad. BUT I never said anything. I don't even think I asked my mom about it. She didn't drink. My dad's side of the family all drank except after my uncle went back to church and became a SP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2023 09:33PM by cl2.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: September 24, 2023 11:14PM

They sound like one of those couples that works in the temple for free and likes to tell people where they can sit.

How arrogant. They sound jealous.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 26, 2023 12:25AM

My parents were deathly afraid of alcohol. They were invited to adult parties and they declined. They were considered cold and aloof by non-Morons. They paid for their friends with tithing.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 26, 2023 12:47PM

"They paid for their friends with tithing.'

What a line!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 27, 2023 02:47AM

Him: Hey look, he's got an axe.

Her: And Bud Light!

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: September 26, 2023 01:37AM

My Mother in Law had a glass of wine with her meal when TBM first wife and I would meet her and eat at a nice sit down restauraunt.

The first time she asked if it bothered me. I just looked at her and said, "only if you get blind drunk and make a fool of yourself". She gave me a smile and after that always had that glass of wine with her meal. She liked me more than her daughter.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 26, 2023 01:08PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the wine-drinking passenger handled it
> well. How would you have handled it?

So did the FA! :)

Serious bad luck for them, having to suffer through sitting near such a brazen worldly degenerate.

Maybe they think Mormons own Utah? And/or everyone should observe LDS principles while in the vicinity?

Not living in the real world.

I would likely have had the drink too if I'd wanted it. Although I don't drink on planes, wanting to keep all my scattered wits about me in case of necessity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2023 01:10PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 26, 2023 02:23PM

I once had a coworker who found the scent of coffee to be offensive. When we had team meetings (non-UT, physically sitting at a table)- He would push the person's coffee mug away from his elbow space. It was soooo noticeable except for other non-members who were unaware of the church WoW policy.

This former RM also knew of my apostasy so whenever I happened to sit next to him, he would abruptly pick up his belongings and move away from me. Maybe it wasn't being ex-mo that bothered him. Perhaps, I had fleas. Who knows!

Date: September 26, 2023 02:24PM

What a charming individual! I'm sure that all were in awe of his spiritual righteousness. lol

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: September 26, 2023 03:20PM

How ridiculous, I actually don’t like the smell of coffee, but people around me at work drank it all the time. I just sucked it up, my dislike did not trump their right to drink the stuff. Tea however, I’m all in.

Date: September 27, 2023 12:18PM

sbg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How ridiculous, I actually don’t like the smell
> of coffee, but people around me at work drank it
> all the time. I just sucked it up, my dislike did
> not trump their right to drink the stuff. Tea
> however, I’m all in.

The youth leaders planned an outdoor basketball at the park (not in UT). I knew of the park's poor reputation on Fridays (lots of bored teens, parking lot jammed with cars, loud music, some drinking and smoking). I knew it was a bad idea from the get-go; especially if the main activity was playing basketball.

I wasn't in the leadership as a teacher or involved in the planning, but I asked if we could meet at the stake center and use the indoor court.

Brother Blowhard proudly retorted- No Messy. You need to live beyond your idyllic church bubble. We need to be seen by the world because the church is so great and people will want to join us.

On Friday evening, the local park was exactly as how I imagined it. It was crowded and I recognized several schoolmates. A few were shouting my name. Brother Blowhard began his unofficial policing. He approached a picnic table where a group was sitting on the tabletop- You can't smoke here. Did you see the sign?

One rocker (guy with a heavy metal patched jacket) told him- So what. What are you going to do about it? Piss off!

Blowhard had to have the last word.- I may call the sheriff and they may call your parents. Do they know you smoke? (The kids all laughed).

I have never cared for basketball, but my mom insisted that I attend so I watched from the sideline. On the adjacent court, another group of young men were playing. A couple of them kept yelling "Shit" when the other players scored. Another guy kept yelling "Holy Jesus" or "Bloody Jesus". Brother Blowhard then stopped our game and proceeded to interrupt their game. At first, the other group was receptive. They actually apologized and one guy changed his "shit" to "dammit".

Blowhard didn't give up and continued to interrupt their game. They became annoyed and started playing a Fuck and Fuck you game. Each team would yell it after they scored. Blowhard was getting riled up and the other group gave up playing and wandered over to the parking lot.

My church group continued playing. I then spotted my mom waiting for me so I bid them adieu. On my way, I noticed that the teens had left a surprise for Brother Blowhard and Brother Drip. Both cars had their air let out on all four tires. Also, the radio antenna was bent in half.

The following week at church, there was an announcement about future basketball games being played at the stake center.

Posted by: Ramses ( )
Date: September 27, 2023 02:24AM

I lived in in Ethiopia for over 4 1/2 years and may return there soon again. They have the best coffee in the world, I think. When I once returned to Germany, my Ethiopian student who was here at the time, wrote me: "Professor, please bring me two kilos of coffee. That stuff here one can't drink." And he comes from Southern Ethiopia, where coffee originated. He would concede, however, that the Austrians and the Italians know how to make good coffee, but not the Germans in general. I agree.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 30, 2023 04:02PM

Christianity in action.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: September 26, 2023 06:57PM

I believe it. I would've had a hard time avoiding "accidentally" spilling it on him. Just to have him stressing about having to explain wine on his pants to his pious friends.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 26, 2023 07:06PM

I think I would have just looked concerned and said, "It must so difficult for you sometimes being recovering alcoholics. Hope they have good coffee at your meetings."

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 26, 2023 07:09PM

Oh D&D! You are bad, oh SO bad!

Date: September 26, 2023 07:23PM

Perfect! ;)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 26, 2023 07:39PM

I was very concerned as a 5 year old about that coffee. My grandparents' house smelled like coffee, too. So I was very well aware of what coffee smelled like. Where I worked for a long time had a lot of coffee drinkers. I love the smell of coffee. My "husband" does, too.

We went to see some lady that they knew growing up with his sisters when I first was engaged to him. He said I love her house. It smells like coffee. He's very happy he gets to drink it now.

I can't believe how rude some people are. We were taught not to act like that.

Date: September 27, 2023 09:52AM

My Mom drank Sanka back when 99% of Mormons believed the WoW was all about caffeine. She drank the stuff by the truckload because most of my childhood toys were made from repurposed cans of Sanka. I still have a few photos where the paint didn't quite cover up the label.

Now my Mom is well conditioned and she is in denial about it. She tells me that I'm wrong, but then I remind her about her mother's visit and how they would share pastries with Sanka. She finally admitted to brewing Sanka, but she still thinks that her own mother was the coffee drinker.

Now my mom enjoys something a bit different. My longtime apostate sibling loves iced coffee. After a recent visit, I discovered that my mom gets the first sip and says..-Boy that sure hit the spot.

I enjoy both ice and hot coffee, but I only imbibe a few times a week.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 26, 2023 07:45PM

I saw a headline today about young Mormons starting to consume coffee. It was something about how they don't realize its coffee as it's a fancy drink in a smoothie place, or something like that. I couldn't read the article without subscribing so that's as far as I got with it.

I thought it was going to be about them choosing not to follow the WoW but it ended up sounding more like them consuming coffee without realizing it.

If so, is that still a deadly sin?

I have never been a coffee drinker, being a tea granny to the point that it's utterly amazing I ever consented to join a No-Tea religious sect. That was more of a sacrifice for me than any other rule of theirs.

It's not because of any belief or concern at all, rather just that I don't care for the taste. It sure smells pretty good though.

The crazy thing is that I DO enjoy coffee when it's paired with alcohol. So bring on the Irish coffees non-stop thankyouverymuch or Spanish coffee or Kahlúa coffee or even a Hot White Russian (vodka, of course). The whipped cream I can take or leave though.

Date: September 26, 2023 11:09PM

You might like this website for spiked coffee/hot chocolate recipes. My wife used to ski patrol on Tuesdays at Park City Mountain. I'd have a hot ski drink ready when she got home. I learned to make some really great winter drinks. I also bought a lot of liqueurs that I probably would have never tried. Plus 2 others not on the list, that she really likes. One, the Girl Scout Cookie tastes like a thin mint. The other is a Butterscotch drink that is so good. I usually don't like sweeter drinks, but this is so damn good. Hope you make a few that sound good to you.

https://www.distillerytrail.com/blog/hot-or-cold-heres-a-sweet-collection-of-20-spiked-coffee-cocktails-for-every-palette-infographic/

Hot Girl Scout Cookie

1 oz. Peppermint Schnapps

½ oz. Dark Creme de Cacao

1 tp. Creme de Menthe

6 oz. Hot Chocolate

Whipped Cream/Sprinkles/Chocolate Shavings (for garnish)

Butterscotch Cocoa

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoons sugar
dash of salt
1/2 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 oz Spiced Rum
5 oz Butterscotch Schnapps
Dash of orange bitters (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS

Mix cocoa, sugar and salt in a large mug.
Heat milk on stovetop until hot, or in microwave on high for 1.5 minutes or until hot.
Gradually add hot milk to cocoa mixture in mug, stirring until well blended.
Add vanilla extract, rum and schnapps to hot chocolate. Add a dash of orange bitters, stir and top with whipped cream, shaved chocolate, and garnish with a cinnamon stick or candy cane.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 26, 2023 11:11PM

Those sound delicious!

Date: September 27, 2023 11:08AM

We used to consume hot Girl Scout cookies at college hockey games. Premix the alcohol and smuggle it in. Add to concession stand hot chocolate.

Date: September 27, 2023 12:03PM

And some people these days say kids don't learn anything in college. You sound like a person that I'd would've liked to hang with in college.

Date: September 27, 2023 12:34PM

Think drunken sorority girl and that was me.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 27, 2023 02:02PM

Oh, the Chi-Os, they are a bunch of wrecks,
bunch of wrecks;
Oh, the Chi-Os, they are a bunch of wrecks,
bunch of wrecks.
Oh, the Chi-Os are a bunch, turn out the lights,
turn on the sex,
There's no hiding place down here!

I never figured out the significance of not having a hiding place...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 27, 2023 11:47AM

(Reprise)~

In the mid-70s, a FP SM letter was read saying that de-caf coffee was allowable under the WOW..

Thud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2023 11:47AM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.