Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 23, 2023 02:49PM

Mysterious cosmic rays observed in Utah came from beyond our galaxy, scientists say

##################

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/23/americas/powerful-cosmic-ray-amaterasu-particle-detected-scn/index.html

The recently discovered particle, nicknamed the Amaterasu particle after the sun goddess in Japanese mythology, was spotted by a cosmic ray observatory in Utah’s West Desert known as the Telescope Array.

The Telescope Array, which started operating in 2008, is made up of 507 ping-pong table-size surface detectors covering 700 square kilometers (270 square miles).
It has observed more than 30 ultra-high-energy cosmic rays but none bigger than the Amaterasu particle, which struck the atmosphere above Utah on May 27, 2021, raining secondary particles to the ground where they were picked up by the detectors, according to the study.

“You can look …(at) how many particles hit each detector and that tells you what the energy of the primary cosmic ray was,” Matthews said.

The event triggered 23 of the surface detectors, with a calculated energy of about 244 exa-electron volts. The “Oh My God particle” detected more than 30 years ago was 320 exa-electron volts.

For reference, 1 exa-electron volt equals 1 billion gigaelectron-volts, and 1 gigaelectron volt is 1 billion electron volts. That would make the Amaterasu particle 244,000,000,000,000,000,000 electron volts. By comparison, the typical energy of an electron in the polar aurora is 40,000 electron volts, according to NASA.

##################

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 23, 2023 09:13PM

says Nobody, not anyone

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 23, 2023 09:42PM

If it didn't beat the old record, who cares? 240 exa eV is 39 joules. Enough to light a 40 watt bulb for one second. Sure it's a lot to pack into one particle, but it's not Kolob light.

Kolob Light could be a great LDS beer brand with a captive market. The church could allow mild barley drinks only if they are brewed under the direction of the Church. Just think, beer brewed by temple recommend holders. I think it would be a hit. Just have the prophet endorse it.

Date: November 24, 2023 03:12PM

either that or it's a (semi) TBM LDS who's following up on what Mark Hoffman started but sans violence;

He's seeking to sell his 'discovery' to (gullible, seeking evidence) GAs; when this breaks there will be a DN front-page photo of him with the FP looking on...

In short, a cross-adapted child with Philo Farnsworth & Mark Hofmann as parental units/inspirations.

However, the online rendition will be soon taken down & disavowed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2023 04:14PM by GNPE.

Date: November 24, 2023 04:58PM

Date: November 24, 2023 05:37PM

'satire' or Alternative Facts?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 24, 2023 05:57PM

....I saw a light exactly over my head brighter than the noon day sun.....

Date: November 24, 2023 06:23PM

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a personage, make it two, dressed in drag like a queer.

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: November 25, 2023 10:35AM

And then continue onward
With that same 0.9999999999999999999999951c speed to fly..

Date: November 25, 2023 01:52PM

Fast enough to cross the entire Universe in a few microseconds depending on your perspective.

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 12:29PM

The only hymn that can say really moved me emotionally. I was a huge space nerd growing up. Still am.

It was also a hymn that never got any playtime at sacrament meetings. Can't look "weird" in front of the (usually Catholic/mainstream Protestant) investigators.

Lame.

Date: November 25, 2023 02:08PM

all those $$$,$$$,$$$ spent on SETI went Wasted, but foiled by a 'genius' TBM!

Yup, 'the gospel is true'!!

Date: November 25, 2023 03:19PM

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 25, 2023 03:32PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4

Brian is an astrophysicist and he would know all about this stuff.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 25, 2023 04:56PM

Think about the time Russell Sprouts Nelson's plane was in that death dive...

His death was only seconds away, probably less than a minute.  So his "Oh my dear sweet lord, please save me; I'm a doctor!!!" message to ghawd was instantly received at Kolob HQ. In no time at all, literally, a decision to intervene was made, the means of said intervention were put into action, and the day was saved.

All in less time than it took me to type two letters ... of the alphabet, not two letters to the editor about the desultory teens whom I believe are plotting to congregate on my lawn.

Considering the matter, I don't think it's likely that the force or power behind the speed of prayer exists within us. It's probably like gravity and is ever-present unless you're so overly committed to light-heartedness that the speed of prayer gets bogged down in the laughter.

which, think about it:  Is there laughter in heaven, in the CK?  

Although it's a given that Elohim and Jehovah laughed when, in 1970, the President of BYU, Ernie Wilkinson, while at a formal dinner in Hawai'i with then-President Harold B. Lee, Wilkinson pulled out a chair for his wife, Alice, to sit on.  But then, as she started to sit, as a "joke," he pulled the chair out from under her so that she hit the floor and was thoroughly humiliated in front of all those important people in attendance...

(To give him credit, Harold B. Lee was said to be horrified.  What a party pooper...)

IsaythesethingsinthenameofJesusChrist,amen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.