Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 02:22PM

Before my membership—

Mountain Meadows Massacre

J Smith had married wives of missionaries he sent away

J Smith married adolescents

Favoritism for submission not equality

Temple oaths against the USA and enemies of the LDS

During, around parting, after/rumored

Skin of the sinful turned dark

Polygamy was created for women because so many faithful men died

Infallibility of the prophets (Salamander Letters/Paul Dunn/GBH on Larry King)

Meet the Mormons/they’re different than you

Divorce is unacceptable/work through or ignore a bad marriage/unless spouse leaves Church

Melchizedek Priesthood, Eagle Scout, 2 year Mormon Mission—qualifications for marrying a man.

Church History year in Seminary, just too many things to mention, complete whitewashing of the commonly, proudly accepted)

Sisters were discouraged from Missionary Service, a mission was a sign she had given up looking for spouse or at least wanted a reset/delay

Pearl of Great Price, doctrinal, cannon—translation. Now it is revelation and inspiration from funeral texts, that’s not what I was told.

Temple blood oath rituals, I’ve never done the new ones, but I hear they’ve changed the rituals and ceremony significantly

What’s next to go? Pearl of Great Price? What do you think?

Also I posted a sinker—it’s about to leave the first page without a reply, would love to hear insights on Mormonism and Masonry, especially post WW2

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 04:19PM

These are my thoughts, and because I'm not much of a thinker, continue at your own edification ... I mean risk!

The church isn't true.  Exmos take that as a given, and as such, in my estimation, we don't feel the need to discuss the individual points and issues that the church claims to be True, other than, usually, as a starting point for a rant.

And I don't think anyone here disagrees with the notion that the church intentionally hides facts and issues from the membership.  

'Good' mormons learn how to ignore facts that are at odds with mormon 'truths.'  It's not that they are not true, but that they're just not useful.  As in, "We all know that water will boil, but as far as salvation is concerned, there's no real need in knowing at what temperature ... Praise Jesus!"  The number of people who have to know what that temperature is as part of staying alive is minuscule...

Regarding your "sinker," I think what I'm trying to say here applies to your "sinker's" topic, masonry and the mormons.  Nobody here is going to defend that connection in the sense that good mormons do.  We all pretty much agree that neither mormonism nor masonry is/are based on Truths revealed by a loving ghawd.  

We all know that whatever either institution has to say about the other, it matters not a whit.  

Below is a link to a group attempt to explain how mormonism and masonic rituals relate to each other.  But pretty much, no one here really cares, other than in the abstract, because, for sure, the church isn't true, and the likelihood that masonry is True is equally unlikely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism_and_Freemasonry

So basically, we're more sociologists in our approach to our exmoism than we are curators.  We're interested in the effects, not the dogma.  It seems that for many of us, mormonism turned out to be icky, and we can't get the icky completely out of our lives.

Some of us (me, for instance) had our personality development "deformed" by mormonism and can't change some of our inner structure, while others had intense adult situations take place that did some warping and woofing and are left with curious regarding those events.  There are millions of stories regarding the effects of mormonisn on people's lives here in the big city.  Okay, it's not that I think I'm deformed, it's more like being deformatively abstract in how I've conducted my life: in 3/4 time.  Yes, I'm waltzing the Bristol Stomp, mariachi style.

Remember the "...and I'm a mormon!" campaign?  Our exmo campaign is based on either "...and I was a mormon!" or some variation of "Mormonism, WTF!!"

We're an eclectic group (or so say I), and I admire people who can fit in. (Except Gladys Lot; she is not eclectic; she's a rutabaga, spiritually speaking, and she only 'fits in' because she's dipped in sesame seed oil.)

Our view of mormonism: Do stop believing!  Although it sounds klutzy when you try to sing it along with Journey...

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.