Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: January 01, 2024 06:17AM

I'm on Vudu tonight looking to watch a movie and a recommendation popped up for a movie called "Provo" about a woman who goes on a road trip back to Provo to see her dying father.

Anybody seen it and wish to comment? Not sure if I want to commit to seeing it or not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 01, 2024 01:00PM

Worst Provo movie was "Pirates of the Great Salt Lake".
Best Salt Lake movie was "SLC Punk".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcFm96WxAZY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2024 10:17PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: January 01, 2024 02:15PM

I haven't watched it, but, I read the synopsis on IMDB.com. Apparently, she's a self destructive, perpetually hung over ex-Mormon living recklessly in Chicago. Cuz, you know, that's how ex-Mormons are. Don't think I could sit through it. Let us know if you liked it.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 01, 2024 07:52PM

In the meantime, settle for Georgia Rule; in that. a YM about to leave for a mission gets a Going Away present from his g.f….

Posted by: so offline ( )
Date: January 01, 2024 08:27PM

"(A Mormon pioneer movie: that’s one way writer/ director/ actor/ producer/editor and yes, you read that right — she’s not a double, not a triple, not even a quadruple threat but rather a quintuple one)"

"Emma Thatcher describes Provo, which screened at the 2022 Mill Valley Film Festival. Though you could safely categorize it as a dramedy (it will have you laughing one minute and crying the next), it defies the ability to be put in a neat box. Beyond the drama and comedy, there’s also a fair amount of romance and even a little psychological thriller set against the backdrop of a road trip with heavy influences from the Western genre. In lesser hands, it could get messy — fast. Thankfully, Thatcher’s hands are more than capable."

**Please provide link for this quote**

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2024 11:18PM by Maude.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: January 02, 2024 09:21AM

Too bad the Coen Brothers don't do PROVO, as they did with FARGO.

The place deserves it. Could even be a Mark Hoffman murder dark comedy - loosely based on reality with their trademark crazy interpretations and characters. In place of Marge the cop maybe we could have someone like Wendy, a Prophets wife? (I know, it was Kimball - but this is the movies)

Could have Joe Pesci play Kimball? Denzell from Training Day play Dallin Hoax?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 10, 2024 05:11PM

You want Postum?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 02, 2024 09:18PM

I probably won't pay to see a movie which stereotypes ex members as complete society f-ups.

Not all members perceive exmos that way, but many do and it reaffirms the belief that those who leave do it to sin.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 02, 2024 09:24PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 06:33AM

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 06:51AM

Yeah. I had that thought as well after seeing the trailer. Which is a big reason why I asked for reviews here rather than spend two hours watching a shitty movie.

Also, even though I can strongly relate to having a strained relationships with parents - and having Mormonism as a major reason for why that is - I nevertheless get a bit impatient with stories where someone from a younger generation spends copious amounts of time bitching about the older generations and blames them for everything that is wrong in their lives.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 07:09AM

From the overwhelming majority of the TWO reviews, it sounds like this movie has the prodigal son/child emphasis to forgive the abusive parent who is about to pass on.

And Mormon parents love the idea that their wayward children who "got lost on the Mormon covenant path" will eventually make their way back to their roots~ the church.

I know my mom is holding onto the hope that I will stop finding fault with a wonderful church and organization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2024 07:10AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Iko Iko ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 07:46AM

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: January 10, 2024 02:41PM

The Church has warned us about looking at Provo movies & materials.
It leads to other sinfully practices.
Maybe that's why they're going to destroy the Provo temple.

Posted by: director emma ( )
Date: March 07, 2024 11:22PM

hi! i'm a fellow ex-mormon (my mom's last name is Hinckley...) & the director of Provo!

if you don't want to spend 5 bucks, i understand, and i'd be happy to provide you with a private vimeo link if you're curious about the movie.

heads up on a few things:

-my character DEFINITELY does not re join the church OR any trite forgive & forgetting, more just forgiving herself. hopefully that comes across, but i had to get that out there!

-i was a self destructive ex-mormon before i cleaned up (sort of), so even if it's cliche, it happened.

-it's my first feature and it ain't perfect but i made it from the ground up, put a lot of my heart & soul into it, and i would love to hear your responses after viewing it!

not really sure how this blog works with replying haha but it was just the 3rd thing to come up on google (yes i need more published reviews!) when i looked up my movie, so i figured i'd post offering a viewing link. otherwise, it will be streaming for free soon after this transactional period with my distributor!

let me know <3

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.