Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Non-mo ( )
Date: January 12, 2024 01:05PM

Taylor Swift not Jonathan Swift. I feel like I’m living in a Babylon Bee headline world. Glad I’m not subsidizing the church any longer with our hard earned $ but for those of you who are, look what that dough is helping to pay for:

https://universe.byu.edu/2024/01/09/ryan-davis-the-philosophy-of-taylor-swift%EF%BF%BC/

Davis, who’s been working on a syllabus for the past year about what he calls “Philoswiftie” (the philosophy of Taylor Swift), will be teaching the first class on Taylor Swift ever taught at BYU in winter 2024. The class code is POLI 360 and will be called “Miss Americana: Taylor Swift, Ethics, and Political Society.”

There are no more seats available for the class this winter, but those interested should stay tuned for future semesters.

Nothing less than idol worship. That's exactly what it is. I guess this is becoming more the norm at BYU. Her fans get super offended at people who don't like her music. They look at you as if you are crazy. They think she is a genius when her music is typical dumb manufactured corporate pop. She gets credit for writing her songs even if she doesn't because she is a corporate product.

I don't know what you would get out of a brainless university course like this. I see all these people with degrees and debt and frequently losing jobs. This creates an even bigger problem. College really is the greatest scam! think this is a major step in the right direction. Some would say it's been years since BYU has taught any kind of moral philosophy.

You know, it’s one thing for them to be teaching these sorts of classes at a public univ but for a private, supposed church focused school that’s heavily funded by the widow’s mite it just rubs me wrong.

I’ve listened to countless first hand accounts of church members recount how they’d save up for yrs to pay for the multi-day bus trip from Guatemala to AZ to attend the temple. I’ve had missionaries sit at my dinner table tell us how they sold everything to go on a mission. Then I read stories like this in the news and it’s as if the church is peeing on these members in the grossest fashion. This church is telling the poorest people of the earth that in order to receive salvation they need to give this monstrosity, a whore of the earth, called a church 10% of what little they have. Most of those people will never walk the halls of BYU or set foot on temple square. They’re subsidizing rich white Americans so they can live their 1st world pleasure seeking degrees and study Taylor Swift. It’s pathetic & it needs to stop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 12, 2024 01:29PM

I'd take the course just to hear her thoughts on chord progressions!!

Plus, I just have to look up at her!!

edited to add this important word:

Scaffolding!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2024 01:30PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 12, 2024 02:42PM

> edited to add this important word:
>
>               Scaffolding!!!

That's silly, Jesus. Scaffolding isn't going to save you when the defenestrators come.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 22, 2024 10:35AM

Scaffolding is an abused word. People seem to think that scaffolds support buildings, but scaffolds support workers. Peace out.

Date: January 22, 2024 05:43PM

Off topic, but I remember my first time seeing scaffolding in Southeast Asia long ago. It was made of bamboo, tied with rope at the intersections. I couldn't believe that was sufficient to hold the painters and finishers ten or fifteen floors up in the air.

I was told that it was better than metal for several reasons, including re-usability, less vulnerability to rust, capable of expanding or contracting as ambient temperature changed, and less slippery in humid conditions. I guess that made sense, but it struck this Western mind as alarmingly strange.

https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/bamboo-scaffolding

Date: January 22, 2024 05:58PM

At least you admit to being bamboozled...

Date: January 22, 2024 06:02PM

No one who dresses like you has any room to criticize others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoU2XwXLFrA

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 23, 2024 03:50AM

Saw lots of bamboo scaffolding in Hong Kong. They can put it up real quick and some feel it’s safer than steel scaffolding. They don’t tie it together with rope. They use thin strips of bamboo.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 23, 2024 03:56AM

Taylor might be worth a case study as far as marketing and management is concerned but a whole course? Philosophy? Please. BYU is a silly place.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 12, 2024 02:35PM

How to magnify your priesthood thru good home teaching techniques~ Ted Bundy?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 12, 2024 05:00PM

Looking at Taylor Swift does not magnify my priesthood. Katy Perry maybe.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: January 12, 2024 03:03PM

I'm not a particular fan of her music but what a great business woman. Go Taylor

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 12, 2024 04:35PM

Exactly. I doubt I would recognize any of her songs, but I admire her a lot. She's got drive.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 12, 2024 03:29PM

... just when we 'thought' ChurchCo couldn't sink lower-

- A new PR guy who formerly worked for a tobacco company

- A BYU course around Taylor Swift??? I didn't know she had a philosophy!

- Bundy & Company play 'hide the pea', ChurchCo is SILENT;
qui tacet consentire videtur

NEXT: they'll Directly Endorse political candidates saying that the chaos of the times requires this (who's causing the chaos?)
Also: U.S. Constitution was needed / appropriate for those times, but should not currently be considered sacrosanct!

Date: January 12, 2024 05:16PM

"The thought of both believers
and non-believers losing faith
in the sanctity and holiness of
the MFMC saddens me..."

--Wendy Watson Nelson, from her bestseller,
                "I diddled the Prophet and so can you!"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 12, 2024 05:37PM

Not to quibble, but the course is under the aegis of the Political Science department, a.k.a. "Poly Sci." I'm not sure what it has to do with Poli Sci, but I'm going to assume that it passed muster with the department head and the powers-that-be at the university. Taylor Swift is probably being used as a hook to engage students in the material.

University students learn many useful things, and without them you would not have (future) physicians, nurses, physical therapists, lawyers, engineers, teachers, computer scientists, IT professionals and so on. Undergraduates get to spread their wings and take many different kinds of courses because universities try to develop well-rounded human beings. For instance my MIT-educated engineer brother took courses such as art history in his undergraduate days because MIT wanted their engineers, etc. to be able to carry a conversation in polite society. An undergraduate college major may only take up one quarter to one third of your total credits. Much of the rest of the time is your playground. And yes, it is richly worthwhile. A student can be exposed to a world of ideas and concepts that s/he would likely not have otherwise encountered. I was able to study astronomy, religious philosophy, art history, world religions, the French language, and more.

And yes, college is expensive at the present time, but it wasn't always that way. Back in my day, any public school was quite affordable.

Posted by: Rocky Road ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 03:25PM

I think it's questionable whether they are turning out well rounded human beings. In those terms they are usually no better than the people who never went to college in the first place. In some cases, they develop a kind of superiority which is often reined in very quickly when they find out their course was not as useful as they thought it would be.

Yes, there are some disciplines which are useful. You mention some of them there. But when it comes to the humanities, we are living in the new Dark Ages. The marking and teaching tends to be entirely subjective, and highly questionable. Instead of critical thinking, the students are being taught to think like the teaching staff. Art history, philosophy and religious studies are all areas where certain ideas tend to be pushed at the expense of a wide range of viewpoints. A lot of manage to draw out interpretations which reflect the critic more than the source material.

Date: January 13, 2024 03:47PM

Critical thinking is the entire point of a university education. And it's a rare university where students of any political persuasion cannot find their place, as you seem to imply. I had friends of all stripes.

I took five courses in art history, and there was nothing unusual about any of them (Art of the 19th and 20th Centuries, Asian art, Art of the Middle Ages, Art of India and SE Asia, and History of Architecture.) They have all enriched my life. I walked into one exhibit at the National Gallery and recognized virtually every work of art in it from my prior studies.

If courses have a more political bent, they are easy to seek or avoid depending on your inclination. No one forces you to take a course in Women's Studies.

Not everyone uses their major field in their line of work. My good friend was an Anthropology major, and she has spent her entire adult life selling real estate. Even now, she enjoys keeping up with the latest archeological findings.

And no, students are not taught to "think like the teaching staff." Any professor worth his or her salt enjoys a lively class discussion. College is not for everyone, but for those who are lucky enough to go, it is a great experience.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2024 07:35PM by summer.

Posted by: Johnny ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 05:46AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And no, students are not taught to "think like the
> teaching staff." Any professor worth his or her
> salt enjoys a lively class discussion. College is
> not for everyone, but for those who are lucky
> enough to go, it is a great experience.

I found the whole experience a waste of time. Some of our course materials were years out of date, and when I pointed this out, I was quickly shut down. We had to buy a number of expensive texts and we never ever used the most expensive one.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 13, 2024 04:13PM

Political science is an oxymoron.

Posted by: agnome ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 05:42AM

Nihilism? Because the popularity of Taylor Swift makes me question existence itself!!!

Date: January 20, 2024 10:53PM

You're just upset that they didn't ask you teach the class.

Posted by: HMer ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 10:20PM

What would Taylor do? Pout and wear lipstick.

Date: January 20, 2024 11:04PM

Yeah, while she pulls in a billion dollars. I'd pout and go through 2 tubes of lipstick for that.

Date: January 20, 2024 11:31PM

Two???

Date: January 20, 2024 11:50PM

...makes sense...

Green lipstick for the upper lip and red lipstick for the bottom lip!

Date: January 21, 2024 12:01AM

I was just surprised she managed with two. After all, you won't go outside without having applied at least three sticks.

It reminds me of your absolute determination not to wear white after Labor Day.

Date: January 21, 2024 12:50AM

I knew you were a star!

Date: January 22, 2024 06:16PM

100, 200,300, or 400 level?

this is a sell-out to pop culture, don't we think?

Date: January 22, 2024 06:27PM

It's marketing. My guess is that the class will meet university level standards. They are just jazzing up the content a bit.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 22, 2024 09:35PM

Bet you’d be perfectly fine with a course on the philosophy of nudism.

Pots and kettles, strewn everywhere. Swift has shown impressive business, songwriting and performing skills. Nobody would bat an eyelash at a course on Botticelli, but one on Taylor Swift is controversial? Explain why.

Date: January 22, 2024 09:55PM

Because Botticelli is deceased!

There are probably any number of imperative sentences one could utter about Ms. Swift that were true when printed up for the course's final exam, but NOT true a week after the exam!

But it ought not matter because it needs to be a pass/fail course!  No way can you allow a human to exist who has to say he or she got a D- in Taylor Swift.

Bad enough that someone, somewhere will be forced to admit failing Taylor Swift!

Date: January 22, 2024 10:00PM

> No way can you allow a human
> to exist who has to say he or she got a D- in
> Taylor Swift.

Yes, I guess it is time to renegotiate your set up fees.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 22, 2024 10:20PM

elderolddog Wrote:
>
> Bad enough that someone, somewhere will be forced
> to admit failing Taylor Swift!

His name is Jake. Travis better come correct!

(Pls click link for Urban Dictionary definition of “come correct.” No worries. It’s safe. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=come+correct )

Posted by: Livid ( )
Date: January 23, 2024 04:27PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Bet you’d be perfectly fine with a course on the
> philosophy of nudism.
>
> Pots and kettles, strewn everywhere. Swift has
> shown impressive business, songwriting and
> performing skills. Nobody would bat an eyelash at
> a course on Botticelli, but one on Taylor Swift is
> controversial? Explain why.

Botticelli has been filtered by time.
Swift has not. She is also more of an industry than an artist. If you want to see the real Taylor Swift, see her early performances before she completely sold her soul. Nowadays her image, music, and a hundred other things DON'T come from her.

Posted by: Visitor from the West ( )
Date: February 29, 2024 04:19PM

100% sell out to pop culture, as is the MTC crowd waving their arms to light Christian rock.

Date: January 22, 2024 10:05PM

Why not a previous course about Madonna ??? How about Elvis ? (Elvis' fame & following continues decades and shows no signs of fading).

the Test of Time is 100% accurate indicator of value to the community, not flashy outfits or wealth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2024 10:08PM by GNPE.

Date: January 22, 2024 10:15PM

Yeah, cuz Madonna and Elvis never wore flashy outfits

Date: January 22, 2024 10:49PM

Liberace!!!

Male performers can deduct the cost of creating and caring for their flashy outfits because of the likelihood that a tax court would agree that no guy would EVER wear such gaudy outfits other than on stage.

Women, not so much...

Date: January 22, 2024 11:03PM

Elton John!

https://youtu.be/jL53EUbHazo

How do you think he does it?
I don’t know!
What makes him so good?

Date: January 22, 2024 11:22PM

I recently watched his farewell (yeah, I'll believe he's done when I see it) tour at the Dodger's Stadium. It was fantastic.

I relived my life from college to the present listening to him sing and talk about the songs that were part of the soundtrack of my life. I remember thinking he was cute when I was a freshman. I remember when he came out. I hope he knows how many people appreciated his contribution to the world.

Date: January 22, 2024 11:53PM

I was playin rock n roll and you were just a fan
But my gitar couldn’t hold ya
So I split the band

https://youtu.be/IYoZ1NfqRME?feature=shared&t=4m0s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2024 12:04AM by Beth.

Date: January 22, 2024 11:58PM

OMG Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is my second fav by him. My absolute favorite is Gray Seal. Fun memories.

Date: January 23, 2024 12:26AM

And the reverse for me! The lyrics still hit me hard.

I wonder if those changes have left a scar on you
And all the burning hoops of fire you and I passed through…

Who hasn’t been stuck in the circus performing?

Great breakup song. Great life song. Just great :D

Date: January 22, 2024 10:35PM

Apparently it's more common than I thought to have college classes on contemporary musicians.

https://www.billboard.com/lists/college-music-classes-taylor-swift-pop/lana-del-rey/

I would have guessed a class on Bob Dylan or Beyoncé might be popular too but who knows. The idea is to engage students with popular songs they know to introduce them to all kinds of aspects about music, performing, writing, etc. BYU is probably hearing what other schools are offering, so that might help explain it too.

Posted by: swallow ( )
Date: January 24, 2024 04:53AM

Bob Dylan maybe. Not so sure about Beyoncé. She has an alter which she claims possesses her so it's more a study in demonology.

Date: January 24, 2024 11:35AM

Yeah…I have no idea what you’re talking about re: Beyonce.

Date: January 24, 2024 11:42AM

Whatever it is, I'll have what she's having!

Date: January 24, 2024 12:08PM

Haha! Right? I have an altar to Beyonce.

I dreamt Lizzo and I were onstage playing superflutes! <— this is true, and I have no idea what a superflute is, but we rocked them!

Date: January 24, 2024 12:31PM

Who knew flutes would be such a cool thing?

Lizzo playing that thing was amazing.
Then comes along André 3000 with magical flute sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_tJNVc07Jc&list=OLAK5uy_l2-maXhuoiXd4dKO_RgqAPGPJWALefwpA

Talent and creativity!

Date: January 24, 2024 07:01PM

Thank you! I had no idea.

Dang, Andre!

“That Night In Hawaii When I Turned Into A Panther And Started Making These Low Register Purring Tones That I Couldn’t Control … [ish] Was Wild”

https://youtu.be/agrAUjogAvo?feature=shared

Date: January 24, 2024 07:17PM

The title fits!
What cool music to sit and relax with. I saw him on Colbert's show holding a giant wooden instrument and was intrigued.
I expected music like Outkast which I liked. That's why I looked to see what he was doing with that flute thing. Dude is an artist.

Date: January 24, 2024 03:12PM

What a coincidence: Jesus has an altar to Lizzo too.

It sits in his blacked-out man cave, surrounded by candles and the bones of old Santeria offerings, across from a 1963 La-Z-Boy recliner and a rotary telephone in case he needs to dial "M".

Date: January 24, 2024 07:16PM

? was the La-Z-Boy recliner made in the U.S (Utah for a while, I understand) or was it built/assembled in another country?

* Even if it was built/assembled in Ew-tah, it probably wasn't by unionized workers, sigh.

Posted by: Positive XP ( )
Date: March 01, 2024 06:33AM

Beth Wrote:
> Yeah…I have no idea what you’re talking about
> re: Beyonce.

Beyonce has an alter ego which she calls Sasha Fierce. She claims it has a different personality than her.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: February 04, 2024 12:29AM

Only because they thought she was related to Zachary.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 01:24AM

It was that or they didn't want to have a course on who's afraid of Taylor Swift, windmills, whales, oranges, the truth, etc., etc., etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.