Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GConned ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 04:49AM

Went to the Saturday evening session last October in the Conference Center.

Never been before.
We were shocked at how some people dressed- casual to really casual.

Place was only half full (parking restrictions because of so much construction on Temple Square). Told it's worse since the lockdowns.

Lots of people in the Audience got up and wandered out during the talks. Almost felt like being in a sports arena… except there’s no snack bars out on the mezzanine level…

So many were looking at their phones…

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 05:14AM

Thanks for the report.

When I toured the newly renovated Washington, D.C. temple a couple of years ago, I also noticed that some obviously Mormon families who were touring the temple were dressed casually as well.

Posted by: GConned ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 05:24AM

Yeah people wandered out during
the closing prayer to beat the crowds.

Posted by: SnowedNoMore nli ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 05:53AM

Did you have to get tickets to attend? I have not heard it being talked about in the weeks leading up to conference that tickets can be requested from the Stake for quite awhile.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 10:46AM

ETB was prophet and able to speak (just prior to his hidden infirment). Was held in the much smaller Tabernacle. As members outside of Utah, this was regarded as a special and unique opportunity because it was conveyed that each stake president received 4 tickets. The stake president called adjoining stakes to find an additional ticket. Two of us had learning permits. I only drove once because as an unexperienced driver, I found it hard to control the speed of the Buick. I routinely had the car over 85 mph. Nevada still had 55 mph speed limits. The other 15 year old was pulled over at 140 mph driving down the big hill near Wendover. My mom slept while we learners drove fast (not reckless)~ traffic was scarce.

My group of teacher aged cohorts (14-15) were chaperoned by my mother. I don't think Brother Blowhard wanted to use his a sick day to drive to Utah. The Goops did not have a reliable vehicle so another member loaned his Buick mega horsepower car for the trip. I think the ward donated $ for gas. Lodging was a downstairs basement in Bountiful(we all slept on the floor in sleeping bags and my mom slept on the available bed). This host family was friends of a family in my ward. I remember that this family was paying no attention to GC whatsoever. I think I was shocked, but then I had to accompany my mom to the stake center to watch the live satellite broadcast. We didn't have cable tv.

Two things that we didn't know. The tickets were only good for the evening men only Priesthood Session. My mom was automatically excluded. Secondly, the church sent out twice as many tickets than available seating permitted. Despite having a valid ticket for the Saturday evening event, there was no space. My mom saved the day by pulling out a writing tablet and pretended to record that this group made a special trip with tickets only to be turned away.

The usher went to conference with others and we were squeezed into the international VIP section. These were padded seat pews with headphones for non English speakers. It was a bonanza because instead of being limited to the Mormon drone, we switched the language selector for Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, German and French.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2024 10:49AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Robbie ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 07:47AM

Regarding the ticketing strategy, it’s not uncommon for events to distribute more tickets than available seating due to expected no-shows, aiming to ensure full capacity. However, this can indeed lead to situations where not everyone with a ticket is able to find a seat, which is understandably disappointing.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 04:50PM

More apologetics.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 12:12PM

Before the Conference Center was built.

You went to the tabernacle, had to show up hours early, wait in line and rush to get a decent seat. I headed for the balcony, since I knew there would be a mad crush for the front rows, and corners.

Why? Seating was tighter than an airplane and the level of fat tissue you had on your rear end was the only cushion you had. Plus, that place was built when the average height was no where near a person who was over the 6 foot mark. Two hours in those benches, hours waiting outside, and trying to find parking was pure hell. Try to get out tripping over feet and knees to make a bathroom run, and then returning. When I could get away with it, I would leave 30 minutes before the closing prayer to use the bathroom, and never returned. I would be found waiting outside the building or standing in the side area separated by a wall, but you had to dodge the Ushers on that move. I always got the look, but was not lectured.

Ugh, the things I did to keep the family happy.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 01:55AM

The pews in the balcony were horrible.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 04:55PM

The now very old Tabernacle had very few restrooms; I doubt if it was ADA compliant (foresight, anyone?)

the atmosphere was 100 % TBM when I attended in the 60's (Yes, I'm that old!).

My chief regret: I didn't know about the (nude) swimming at the Deseret Gym!

Posted by: dartboard ( )
Date: February 24, 2024 06:00AM

I've always found General Conference deadly dull. I've never understood why anybody wants to watch it, let alone go to it. The only real excitement is finding out which places are going to get a new temple. But most of those get built in Utah and the Third World now, so it's not that exciting.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 12:57AM

Was to be at home doing something else; completely oblivious to what is being said. My mom quickly realized that the tv was on but no one was watching GC. She made a fuss and my dad came to the living room. I was the bad boy and was outside. My dad had a fit that I was outside and I was promptly reminded that it was my idea to get cable tv so we could watch GC at home.

The TV volume war- My dad was hard of hearing. He kept the TV volume up...way up. He couldn't hear clearly and accused Benson of mumbling. My mom thought dad was being difficult. She would get up from the sofa (the only time she ever wore her Mormon dress and heels for around the house) to turn the volume down as Mormon apostles sound horrible with the volume at full tilt. Of course, my dad was sitting in his football chair and he could push the volume bar without leaving his seat. No remote in my house! [This went on for several minutes as both were equally stubborn]

Finally, my dad left - I'll just wait to read their talks in the Ensign. And my mom was giddy- I thought he would never leave. Now the spirit will be with us.

This was when my dad and the bishop had a falling out about sitting in the church foyer during Sunday School. My dad loved watching NFL and he wanted us gone so he could enjoy his game in peace. My mom was passive aggressive. Mom would unplug the tv cord, change channels and she once hauled his tv chair to the front door and threw it outside. Dad countered by tossing her primary skillbox (lesson manual) into the fieplace. Star A went up in smoke.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 10:52AM

After reading that, I'm picturing the parents and sister on Young Sheldon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.