Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 06:41PM

https://universe.byu.edu/2023/06/15/byu-collaborates-with-auschwitz-birkenau-memorial/

J Reuben Clark was a major league anti-semite.
Refused to write letters that would allow members of jewish ancestry to come to the US to escape Hitler's Germany & death.

Wonder if any he turned down were victims here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 05, 2024 07:01PM

At least from what I read, The YBU folks didn't DENY that the records they're finding WON'T be used for dead-tisms. Curious.

Posted by: + fries ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 05:15AM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At least from what I read, The YBU folks didn't
> DENY that the records they're finding WON'T be
> used for dead-tisms. Curious.

I think this is atonement for such bad publicity in the past. I've no doubt that what they are mostly doing is collecting official data on these people, which is what got them into trouble in the first place.

It would have been much more poignant to include personal recollections or memorabilia of such people but nearly all the close family members and friends will be gone by now.

Posted by: + fries ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 04:58AM

The LDS church willingly turned over genealogical information to the German government, which meant that many people could not hide their Jewish roots. I think this was a much more serious problem, and perhaps no one knows how many were affected.

This is what happens when you have a church which includes "being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law" within its core beliefs.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 06, 2024 10:50AM

Do you have any documentation on this? I find it hard to believe that they had all that much genealogy from Germany in the 1930s. I thought the big ramp-up of genealogy within LDS Inc was after WWII.

THE 1930s was well before photocopiers and microfilm was a brand new commercial technology. I don’t know how the LDS church would turn over records to the German government, even if they were willing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.