Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 05:30AM

Rather than waste my response to a thread that went "poof" while I was writing, I thought it was insightful enough to continue here.

--------------

"Practices are altered by each successive leader."

That is the crux of the matter. Church policy is dictated by whoever is driving the clown car. Simon says don't call yourselves Mormons, for example.

I remember plural marriage being taught as an eternal principle. I remember being taught that women were the gatekeepers of sex even if it meant a fight to the death, otherwise it's their fault. All of this was necessary to normalize Joseph Smith's behavior.

We exmos don't have to do that. It's much easier to recognize JS's NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder) and see his personality as symptoms of that. My dealings with NPD types suggest that they are demonically possessed. Of JS, that I can believe. He gave himself over to the spirit of lust early on. What "prophet" embraces rather than eschews such things? Doesn't that blow out the foundations of Church doctrine?

JS was a wolf in sheep's clothing. BY was a slight improvement. He was a wolf in wolf's clothing. 56 wives, count 'em. Church leadership has been a succession of such men. You think they'd let a sheep in that position? No, you are the sheep, there to be harvested.

The ring of power, as in LOTR lore, is wielded by the "living prophet". Or kinda sorta living, given his advanced age. The church built Mordor. If only a couple of hobbits could destroy the ring in the fires of Mount Timpanogos.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 05:47AM

I lost a post in that thread too. I am not convinced that Robbie is an ex-mo, which is fine, but the proselytizing is too much.

Polygamy was official doctrine for centuries and in fact remains so as long as D&C 132 continues as scripture. Joseph F. Smith, a prophet, published in Doctrines of Salvation what his son-in-law, Bruce McConkie, later published with McKay's authorization Mormon Doctrine; which continued to be reissued with the church's imprimature for decades.

To argue now that McConkie was mistaken is beyond incredible. It is, in fact, a lie.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 11:25AM

There's a famous quote from an infamous Howard Hughes / John Wayne movie called "Jet Pilot" (1950):

"They make you forget that you've forgotten."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 12:05PM

The church should use f meters when interviewing for advancement and/or temple recommends.

Thank you.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 01:03PM

I just wish they could put a little bit of Pizazz back in. You'd think it couldn't get anymore inane and boring, but, look who's next in line for the presidency. And Bednar is inching up quickly.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 15, 2024 11:02PM

Bednar seems like the kind of guy who would wear elevator shoes.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 16, 2024 12:40AM

Or cowboy boots with lifts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.