Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 01:45PM

From an early age the mighty mormon church teaches children pure crap. Kids should be learning valuable life skills such as the Trucker’s Horn Signal. You know, when you see a big rig on the highway and you pump your arm up and down, and if the driver sees you, s/he will honk their air horn.

Another important life skill to learn at an early age is , , ,

Please feel free to add whatever come to mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2024 01:46PM by sunbeep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 02:27PM

Yes! The trucker’s horn signal.

Also how to count change if you buy something with *gasp* paper money and/or coins. And don’t leave the register area until you have. And learn to make change without relying on the cash register’s computation.

I am officially old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2024 02:27PM by Beth.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 02:29PM

Be careful with your paper money and coins. There's a War on Cash going on right now, doncha know, and you don't want to get caught in the crossfire.

Date: February 17, 2024 02:32PM

I’ll ask Menendez for a gold bar. (I can’t believe that guy!)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 02:36PM

>> And learn to make change without relying on the cash register’s computation.

To be fair to people who work on a till, being responsible for the money in the cash register can mess with your thinking. No one wants that dreaded call to the manager's office that you have come up short. I was always good at basic math, but knowing that the register had to balance at the end of my shift was trying. And customers will often change their minds in the middle of a transaction ("Oh! let me give you and extra [blank] amount of money so I can get X back.") Nope. Decide what you are giving, and then let the cashier do her [bleeping] job.

Date: February 17, 2024 05:39PM

Yeah, I have worked a till and my manager made me learn to count change without the register computer. At the same time I was audibly counting for the customer.

So if something cost 5.07 and they gave you a 20, you left the 20 on the till where it can be seen and count up from whatever to 20, smallest denomination to largest.

3 pennies 5.10
1 nickel 5.15
1 dime 5.25
3 quarters 6.00
4 ones 10.00
1 ten

Superfast once you get the hang of it. Adding instead of subtracting.

Date: February 17, 2024 06:02PM

Yes, but it's a very difficult skill for young children to master. And I'm not convinced that schools are doing an adequate job of teaching it.

Date: February 17, 2024 06:27PM

Oh, I wasn’t pushing it off on teachers. I taught my kid before we headed off. People might be impatient, but it’s money! Always count your money! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2024 06:28PM by Beth.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 04:31PM

My grandkids don't know how to tell time on a face clock. One of them ~might~ learn cursive.

I guess that's how great granny felt when her grandkids weren't learning to make soap and candles.

Date: February 17, 2024 04:55PM

Yeah, those are two battles that the schools are losing. I taught my students cursive last year, but I'm the only teacher in the building doing it, and I'm not sure that I have the time or energy to do it again this year.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 04:42PM

If you really want to be a great parent, teach your kids HOW to think, not WHAT to think. I realize that goes against the core tenets of mormonism.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 06:12PM

True.
Critical thinking skills
Fallacies
Questioning everything
How to verify
Basic logic
Scientific Method

Mix in plenty of literature, art and history.

I think a lot of programs cover most of these, but I know some of the religious schools skew them to protect religious scrutiny.

Other important things that kids may or may not pick up at school early enough:

How to manage bank accounts, investment math, credit card pitfalls, etc.
Understanding how advertising manipulates us
Civics and how government works
Personal data protection

summer has mentioned the most important thing: Learning that you may not agree, but you have to get along and be respectful.

How to wrap wet hair in a towel
How to tie a necktie
How to tie shoelaces
CB talk 10-4 good buddy!

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 07:09PM

An early life lesson for me was learning how to polish my shoes. Many people today don't have leather shoes but if they do wear them you can tell a lot about a man from his shoes.

Posted by: botchan ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 08:43PM

To say “please” and “thank you.”

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 08:46PM

A corollary:  Wait your turn

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 08:50PM

I second this. I can't believe how rude some kids are but then I look at their parents. It's no wonder more places are not allowing kids. It's a shame because I got to go all kinds of interesting places and took my kids to a lot of "adult" places and it was never a problem. Now people think Sephora is a daycare and it is fine for their kid to throw food on the floor and run around a nice restaurant.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 17, 2024 08:49PM

New school: "I'll buy you that treat (or toy) if you stop crying.
Old School: "Stop your crying or I'll give you something to cry about."

https://wl-brightside.cf.tsp.li/resize/728x/jpg/b4f/dc8/310b1d516fb82d25e2dfff838b.jpg

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.