Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 10:34AM

How will tscc ever get the temple work done for all of them?

If the temple work isn't necessary and it will be taken care of in the next life, why then do members need to do genealogy for the purpose of doing baptisms for the dead?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/largest-human-genomic-family-tree-identifies-nealy-27-million-ancestors-180979657/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_term=392024&utm_content=archival&fbclid=IwAR0PpLfmYrjUV0gBTcX43yFOW7QLFptya-HfOZekI0Is3UG9LgWMY0dFTPM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 11:03AM

Because:

1. It's busywork to keep Mormons occupied
2. It's the Mormon culture's way of providing a connection to dead ancestors which somehow assuages fear of mortality
3. Apparently God likes to give impossible tasks, just to see humans scurrying around trying to do them

If Jesus could die for everyone, God could pick someone to be endowed for everyone. Done.
It's all so stupid.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 01:17PM

The genealogy part of the temple busywork might be of some use to the outside world, but the endowment part truly is pure, unadulterated busywork. Nobody at all benefits directly. LDS Inc benefits indirectly from being better able to extort money in return for TRs.

I nominate Jesus to be baptized and endowed for everyone. He's already experienced at doing something for everyone, and this time he won't have to spend the weekend in Missouri.

Date: March 12, 2024 01:38PM

>>The genealogy part of the temple busywork might be of some use to the outside world

True, but without DNA verification, and the fact the Mormon genealogy generally follows the paternal line, there is no guarantee the ancestors are actually related as they claim.

It's like the Bible giving genealogy for Jesus by giving the genealogy of Joseph. It should be taken with a grain of salt.

Date: March 12, 2024 03:24PM

Make that a barrel of salt

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 13, 2024 09:38AM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 06:16PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I nominate Jesus to be baptized and endowed for
> everyone. He's already experienced at doing
> something for everyone

This is an excellent point. One I haven't ever thought of before (that I recall, lol) in connection with the Mormon baptising for the dead ritual.

It's in the Bible, of course, that Jesus is the Redeemer ("once for all time" - no need to keep re-baptising the same people over and over, or at all). Maybe that's why Mormons need the BoM, to supplement these biblical teachings and reinforce the upgraded ones of their founders. Because if they were just going according to the Bible then it would be easy to show that their theology on certain things doesn't match the accepted biblical basics. Not that they care about that. Because their spiel is that their founders updated things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2024 06:17PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 01:16PM

How do Mormons explain their extensive "work for the dead" in light of Alma 34:34? It says there that whatever spirit you are under when you die will own you in the hereafter. How can some good Mormon change that with proxy rituals?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 01:20PM

There used to be a lot of emphasis on the state of your soul at death and how you were not likely to change.

If this were not the case, NO ONE would be in the bottom two kingdoms; 99.876% would be in the CK, and the pitiful sons of perdition would be living in Outer Darkness estates.

Date: March 12, 2024 01:25PM

Seriously? It's very easy to explain. Most of the people who died without being baptized/endowed/sealed did so not because they had rejected the message in mortality, but simply never had the opportunity. they didn't die unrepentant, just unordinanced.

Date: March 12, 2024 01:28PM

When you are selling unicorns, you are allowed to change the color any time you want, to any color you want.

Posted by: C0rnerSt0ne ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 02:28PM

Baptisms for the dead is a ritualistic act, a performance of distraction and illusion, a trick.

I have much more to say on this topic but I went with general and direct statement regarding Mormons and eugenics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2024 02:42PM by C0rnerSt0ne.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 12, 2024 04:03PM

It will all be worked out in the Millennium. Maybe Jesus keeps a list of the a few billion extra, kind of like Santa. He will bring the data when he returns.

The temple is pay to play. They have to make it seem it has a purpose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2024 04:05PM by bradley.

Date: March 13, 2024 09:21AM

27 million ancestors is not all that many years. It is nominally 25 generations (32 million ancestors, including duplicates), and taking a "generation" as 30 years, that is only 750 years. Year 1274 was about when Europe started adopting Arabic numerals, Marco Polo was traipsing around Asia, and the Medieval period began to transition to the Modern period.

Date: March 15, 2024 06:04PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> 27 million ancestors is not all that many years.
> It is nominally 25 generations (32 million
> ancestors, including duplicates), and taking a
> "generation" as 30 years, that is only 750 years.
> Year 1274 was about when Europe started adopting
> Arabic numerals, Marco Polo was traipsing around
> Asia, and the Medieval period began to transition
> to the Modern period.

I may have said this before but perhaps if I had had you, BoJ, as a math teacher somewhere along the way my grades would have risen to at least a C- because the way you use numbers in a practical, informative way would have increased my comprehension at least somewhat. As it was, I spent my school years cursing numbers, only finding them slightly more useful (and vital) when calculating dosages for patients' meds because that was a real life application that made some sense to me. To this day square roots and other like concepts give me a headache.

But it's amusing me greatly to see so many numbers showing up in your posts and sometimes I even try to follow them. I can see why they may be vital and significant. I enjoyed your above post greatly, for instance. It's comprehensible and interesting even though number-y.

ETA: It's interesting to note how your brain works. It sees life in numbers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2024 06:06PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: vzgardner ( )
Date: March 13, 2024 12:03PM

While it’s routinely accepted that Joseph Smith, Jr. was an egomaniacal philandering cheat who over-stretched his intellectual legs and got practically every Biblical interpretation wrong, the requirement for proxy baptism was one of his most colossal blunders. Rather than being a most mercifully charitable doctrine, it’s easily the most insidiously deceptive.

Except for keeping many devout Mormons comatosely infatuated with scouring records for names of “damned” ancestors and spawning the erection of obscenely pricey albeit useless edifices that are nothing more than huge multi-million-dollar billboards, the notion that a loving "Heavenly Father" would demand corporeal ceremonies performed by living substitutes before allowing most of his dead children into his "Kingdom" is a benchmark of gullibility.

Of course, it’s no more absurd than anything else Mormons feel they must do to keep their capricious SkyDaddy™ happy; it’s just so damnably pointless and massively wasteful.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 13, 2024 01:13PM

> How will tscc ever get the
> temple work done for all
> 27,000,000 of them?

C'mon!  That's just 4,500,000 per day for six days ... and on the seventh, thou shalt rest.

Date: March 13, 2024 01:56PM

Being massively wasteful and pointless are exactly the kinds of tools that are effective for religion to keep the masses busy. Busy believers don't question the religions agenda, power structure and wealth accumulation.

The busy believers get to be kings in the afterlife! Yippee!

Posted by: cinnamontoast ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 05:12PM

The thing I just didn't get is why would I redo and re fill in all the blanks that have been done by everyone in any family? I don't want to. How many times have we baptized the last few hundred years worth? Oh, brother. What a waste of time. Help the living. Not the dead.

Date: March 15, 2024 06:07PM

cinnamontoast Wrote:
> Help the living. Not the dead.

That's a good concept.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.