Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 07:14PM

"Intelligence isn't a gift.  It's an isolating curse. Intelligence makes you an awkward guest at the party that is society."

--"Isolating Contact" by Ash Remington, 2024

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 07:25PM

That seems basically the same as "Ignorance is bliss" to me.

Ignorance is directly proportional to your enjoyment at the party!

Date: March 14, 2024 07:26PM

That social disaster and total dufus, Gladys Lot, just emailed me to tell me that she's glad I finally figured out why I don't really understand her . . .

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 07:33PM

Let's think this through for a second.

How likely am I to email you given that that doing so would leave you with my contact information?

Just how socially adept do you think I am?

Date: March 14, 2024 07:45PM

The state of your eptness is not mine to judge.

You first emailed me back in 2016, which was made easy by the fact that my email address is public.  I think it was about getting discount golf balls for some hanger-on who needed goading.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 08:14PM

2016?

Time to get stronger reading glasses, Señor Senior.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 07:39PM

The kind of person who says, "I don't fit in because I know/see/understand things that ordinary people don't." What may be psychological issues or just social awkwardness gets explained away, or worse: exalted, as something superior. Take this on a collective basis, and you have things like spiritual elitism: "We have the truth. They hate us because we have it, and they don't."

The "isolating curse" remark suggests, to me, self-induced (or self-perceived) martyrdom.

Bear in mind, I'm something of an aspie.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 07:53PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The kind of person who says, "I don't fit in
> because I know/see/understand things that ordinary
> people don't."

Yeah. Others can say you're not ordinary but you can't (shouldn't?) say it about your own self if your intention is to exalt yourself.

Too, and one of the reasons why I love the English language, being "not ordinary" vs "ordinary" can be either a compliment or an indictment.

You have to consider the context. And the judge. :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 08:24PM

The smartest man in the room doesn't mention his status.This makes him uncomfortable in the company of fools.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 09:52PM

I had a rough time fitting in in the church as a teenager, etc. I don't consider myself intelligent, but I fit in well with the scientists and chemists I worked with. I'm just odd enough to fit in with them. And they had their oddities, but they treated me SO WELL. I had never been treated that way before OR SINCE.

Date: March 14, 2024 09:59PM

People who are secure in their personas don't play silly mind games with other human beings.

This is my way of explaining how and why they treated you in the manner you perceived.

Posted by: MyWay ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 07:51AM

Plenty of awkward people aren't very intelligent. Plenty of intelligent people sell out to the highest bidder.

Date: March 15, 2024 11:22AM

"Help!!  I've fallen off the spectrum and I can't get back up!"

Posted by: cinnamontoast ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 01:11PM

This is truth. And I believe is the reason that highly intelligent folks are found living in isolation. They are those who are shunned at work by jealous co=workers. And often just go on to hide their intelligence doing manual labor. It's too bad. I think the thought that we "align ourselves with the smartest people" is a good idea in business. And would be a good idea for all of us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.