Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 08:46PM

He used "And it came to pass" over 1500 times in the first printed BOM. Today that would be considered a speech/language disorder.

Most of the "And it came to pass" were removed sometime after the first printing.

The name of this disorder is "Palilalia". (which kind of sounds like Pay Lay Ale) This kind of language disorder is seen in Alzheimers/Autism and diseases or injuries involving the frontal cortex.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/palilalia

Why did Joseph use this phrase so many times?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 14, 2024 09:09PM

"...and it came to pass..." over 1,500 times?

I think he was horny.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 03:26AM

JS simply engaged in the 19th century equivalent of writing a high school essay in larger font and with double spacing in order to meet the minimum page requirement.

Date: March 19, 2024 03:08PM

But even the older bibles from the 1700's and earlier didn't make this kind of screwy language mistake. Joseph read many books that Hyrum brought home from Dartmouth.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 02:47AM

He clearly had a disorder of some kind. Normal people don’t do what Joseph did. He was a narcissist and a sociopath or psychopath.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 07:25AM

Aren't you being too hard on psychos? Those are the traits needed to establish a religion.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 03:18AM

What about Joel Osteen et al?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 05:19AM

A person with autism would likely not have the social skills to do what Joseph and his cohort did. I agree with Lottie -- whoever wrote the BoM was simply a poor writer trying to fill up space with something that sounded vaguely Biblical.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 08:44AM

That's my opinion too. It's the written equivalent of a speaker peppering their sentences with "and uh" and "like". He probably thought it sounded ponderous and important, and that was what he was going for.

Plus he was trying to jack up the word count, which is also why he quoted so much of Isaiah (KJV) verbatim. Padding the text.

Posted by: anon.. ( )
Date: March 15, 2024 06:02AM

The explanation is simpler. It appears a lot in translations of the Hebrew Bible.

Date: March 15, 2024 04:25PM

In the First Edition, the (I believe 8) witnesses wrote that Joe was the "author" of the BoM, which was altered for the second and subsequent editions to read "translator".

I didn't know so many "it came to pass" phrases were removed/edited out!!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 19, 2024 02:32PM

My mother, who had Alzheimer's disease, exhibited palilalia during her last days, repeating random syllables while looking very frightened. It was extremely unsettling, but nothing like Joe Jr's repetitiousness, which he seems to have used as a sort of "springboard phrase" to get up enough imaginative steam to lie a bit more.

Date: March 19, 2024 02:52PM

....and the writer of his translation didn't catch him and say, "Joseph you are using that phrase way too much".It seems like Emma or Oliver would have corrected him. I find it weird that it was sent to press that way.

Date: March 19, 2024 03:11PM

I think they were modestly-educated hicks (not UNeducated) whose main source of culture was the bible. They only corrected it because people criticized it and laughed at them. Also, don't forget, it was 'holy scripture' and 'the word of ghawd' and therefore unamendable - until they amended it, setting up a trend which would become a habit ;-)

Date: March 19, 2024 03:24PM

So early Mormonism was unamenably unamendable--or would that be unamenably amendable? Or, given the changes, amenably amendable?

I get so confused. . .

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 19, 2024 03:28PM

"They mended the unamendable...they were ghawds!"

Date: March 19, 2024 03:30PM

Put very amenably!

Date: March 19, 2024 03:48PM

I was quite pleased with 'unamendable' and the spell check let it through, so I will not amend it ;-)

Date: March 19, 2024 04:39PM

Well, if I inadvertently cast aspersions on the innocent, I will happily make amends.

Posted by: Itwintical ( )
Date: March 19, 2024 09:43PM

I say “sh!t” more times a day than JS ever said, It shall come to pass.”

Hmmm, maybe I have that disorder.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 19, 2024 09:57PM

Yes. Reformed Egyptian.

Date: March 20, 2024 04:55AM

Date: March 20, 2024 12:31PM

What's the difference between inflammable and flammable?

If one is disgruntled, must they have been gruntled beforehand?

Please don't ask me about irregardless _ regardless!

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: March 21, 2024 12:11AM

To paraphrase mark Twain, if there weren't so many occurances of "and it came to pass" then it would have only been a Pamphlet of Mormon.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 01:31AM

There's a simpler explanation. He wanted to give his book a scriptural tone. He mimicked the KJV sound. He wasn't a great writer, so he kept falling back on certain phrases. This was one.

Mark Twain put it:

"The book seems to be merely a prosy detail of imaginary history, with the Old Testament for a model; followed by a tedious plagiarism of the New Testament. The author labored to give his words and phrases the quaint, old-fashioned sound and structure of our King James's translation of the Scriptures; and the result is a mongrel--half modern glibness, and half ancient simplicity and gravity. The latter is awkward and constrained; the former natural, but grotesque by the contrast. Whenever he found his speech growing too modern--which was about every sentence or two--he ladled in a few such Scriptural phrases as "exceeding sore," "and it came to pass," etc., and made things satisfactory again. "And it came to pass" was his pet. If he had left that out, his Bible would have been only a pamphlet."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.