Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 05:43PM

Princess Kate had been diagnosed with cancer. This was a result of her recent abdominal surgery, after which samples were tested and found to be cancerous. She has been recovering from surgery and was waiting until she was strong enough to begin chemotherapy.

She has stated that she and Prince William wanted to take the time needed to explain her diagnosis and treatment to her young children, which is very understandable. My personal wish is that she will take as long a period of time as she needs to obtain her treatments, to rest and recover, and to spend time with her family. IMO her royal duties should take a back seat to whatever amount of time that she needs. I know that chemotherapy can be very difficult, and that she will likely need a lot of rest.

I do know that cancer patients, survivors, and their families have obtained a new champion. I wish her and her family well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-huge-shock-catherine-princess-of-wales-announces-she-has-cancer/vi-BB1kmRtI?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=1d3f73db160b41cea5bcdf3c87adf8d9&ei=13

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2024 06:36PM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 06:03PM

My mother and an aunt both had cancer, nothing to joke about, best wishes to Princess Kate :)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 04:17PM

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 06:06PM

I am devastated but hopeful. They waited to announce this until the kids were out on school break. I think she is an amazing person and I think she will be strong through this.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 07:17PM

The “good” news is that it wasn’t located visually. That points to very early diagnosis. Now for the press to leave the poor woman in peace. She has a long road, and chemo sucks.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 07:24PM

It's none of my business, but I would like to know what kind of cancer they identified in her and also the King. I am impressed they are sharing such difficult news with everyone. I hope the treatments are effective and they both remain 100% cancer free.

I hope the rumor mill will quit picking on her now.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 07:26PM

Not once did the mainstream media bother me as I fought cancer and won!

As icing on the cake, my aortal aneurysm was discovered and has now been fixed.

I got a ten-year warranty after the aneurysm was corrected, but it's only good for 90 days if I get married again.

Date: March 22, 2024 07:44PM

Wow, you've had some near misses.

Your superior wit and priesthood blessings really pulled through!

I predict something like an ingrown toenail will get you eventually. (It's the microbiologist in me.)

Date: March 22, 2024 08:29PM

As long as I honor my priesthood, I think Imma be fine!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 08:08PM

Something in the abdomen as she had just had abdominal surgery so she must have had symptoms but, as mentioned, seems identified microscopically as they had said at first that it's not cancer. Tough times for the family with Charles as well. Hopefully all will be well.

Date: March 22, 2024 09:05PM

The timing of her announcement makes me wonder if there was a successful data breach of her medical records at her hospital. I know some hospital employees were caught trying and got fired, but I never heard what they actually accessed.

I'm wondering if she felt she needed to speak out because she knew someone was about to spill the information. The timing is too much of a coincidence. I suspect she would have preferred to keep here privacy longer. At least she now controls the narrative.

Date: March 22, 2024 09:23PM

I had heard there was an attempt to access her records. I didn't know whether it had been "successful". I didn't know the staff members had been fired but I'm glad. It's an outrageous ethical breach - for any patient but Kate has additional particular personal and safety issues due to her circumstances.

It's too bad there is such a premium on info and photos of the royal family (and many celebrities in general) because that's what causes some people to lose all ethics and compassion. Think of the photogs who were chasing Princess Diana and her young boys all over creation. You'd think they'd learn their lesson from her tragic end but no, here they are hounding Kate who has as much right to privacy as any patient.

I imagine the hospital staffers thought they could make some good dosh by revealing a diagnosis relating to Kate. Disgusting. I hope they find it very difficult to get another job in any area requiring ethical behaviour.

If it wasn't them, I apologize.

I thought Kate looked very strained in the video she put out. I hope it's not a result of major illness and especially hope it's not due to the extra added stress this is causing. I admire Kate and William for always trying to put their kids first and seeking to do the right thing by them.

Date: March 22, 2024 10:32PM

I can't find exactly where I read they were fired now, so I'll sit on that claim until I find verification. I do see there are investigations and disciplinary actions taken.

Date: March 22, 2024 11:20PM

I think she looked strained as well. She may already have had her first chemo treatment.

She is naturally very thin. I hope that she is able to maintain her weight through the treatments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2024 11:22PM by summer.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 09:58PM

What makes you think she was forced to speak about the cancer now? Couldn't it be that they were waiting until it was discussed with the children, that is now done, so OK to go public? You said the timing is too much of a coincidence. Co-incident with what?

Date: March 22, 2024 10:26PM

You're right. Forced is not the right word.

We sometimes see examples of politicians and famous people rushing to get their story out when a scandal (or news) is about to break in the news about them. The possible hospital record breach is what made me think of that.

However, I can agree it makes complete sense that she was waiting for the kids to be out of school for discussions and personal reasons.

The rumors about her must have been annoying. I would hate being famous.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 10:49PM

Kate's not being seen publicly in three months was turning into a Where's Waldo situation with a lot of the public suspecting foulplay. It's almost like the British don't trust their own government.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2024 10:57PM by bradley.

Date: March 23, 2024 01:27AM

Epidemic of conspiracy theories. I wish people would take time to confirm via reputable sources. Of course, accuracy would depend on which sources they consider reliable.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 22, 2024 10:28PM

I don't understand why ca ncer has proven so difficult to successfully resolve 'cure', but I wish all of all diseases & injuries My Best

Posted by: AnonInCali ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 09:10AM

The short answer:
Cancer is not just one disease but many diseases. What works for one type of cancer does not necessarily work for other types. Also, many types of cancer are hidden in the body in such a way that they are not discovered until they are quite advanced.

Cancer is nasty, mean SOB!

Posted by: Mindexed ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 05:36AM

If Buckingham Palace had said this straight out then it would have saved a lot of trouble. Instead they like to control information all the time, and we've had speculation about photoshopped pictures, her disappearance and all the rest.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 05:57AM

It's their private health info. Why shouldn't they have a say in how they handle their own lives? They are public people but that doesn't mean they are owned or owe every detail of their existence. Anyone who paid any attention and had half a brain knew she didn't "disappear". She was home with home health care and her Mum to help. The whole "controversy" was just crap people made up to have filler for their media outlets.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 09:14AM

>They are public people but that doesn't mean they are owned or owe every detail of their existence.

They don't owe every detail of their existence, but they do owe some detail. I think Buckingham Palace handled this badly and the results were entirely predictable.

Most of us of a certain age know people who have had major abdominal tumors removed, or hysterectomies, or both. In all the cases I am familiar with, the person was in the hospital at most two days and one night. There was one case where a friend had what I think is called a Whipple procedure which is major intestinal rerouting. There are only two doctors in the SL Valley who do the procedure. It's a very big deal. As I recall, he was in the hospital 4 or 5 days.

Princess Kate was in the hospital 13 days. That's pretty extraordinary for a young person, and to stonewall for three months afterward is just asking for trouble, They didn't have to give details immediately, nor give full detail, even now, but they should have said something to explain the extraordinary hospital stay.

Date: March 23, 2024 09:57AM

Well, the London Clinic (in which she had her surgery) is private, not NHS. I assume if you are paying, you can take all the time you want or need. Plus no one is going to take a chance with a Princess of Wales, especially when it comes to a cancer diagnosis. The hospital does have a highly regarded cancer unit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2024 09:57AM by summer.

Date: March 23, 2024 07:50AM

They needed time to explain her diagnosis to her young children. There is no good way to tell a child that their mom has a serious illness. All of the children are finally off from school and at home on spring break. They finally have time as a family to cope with the new normal. They also will need time to explain to the children (and train them) on how to handle the inevitable questions from their peers.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 10:04AM

I think they should release every detail so that when it us discussed on forums like this we can get everything exactly right.

Date: March 23, 2024 10:55AM

I like the idea that they care about what I think, and naturally, they'd want me to have all the facts...

Date: March 23, 2024 11:11AM

That's why all the history books are mostly about the doings of the Kings and Queens, right after the chapters about the thoughts of elderolddog.

Date: March 23, 2024 11:27AM

I very much enjoy it when you state how things ought to be, rather than just focus on how things are.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 05:09PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . the thoughts of elderolddog.

It strikes me that using the plural may be a bit generous.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 09:31PM

He could be thinking with both heads

Date: March 23, 2024 11:29AM

Kentish Wrote:
> I think they should release every detail so that
> when it us discussed on forums like this we can
> get everything exactly right.

I'm thinking Kentish may be utilizing a touch of sarcasm here. I could be wrong. But surely no matter who the patient is they deserve a sliver of privacy. Who wants the world to be pawing through their medical notes and in effect invading their body. Kate doesn't owe anybody that.

Date: March 23, 2024 12:20PM

Yes, kentish told a funny and it was great!

I wish I could hear that comment with his accent. Maybe he could get a job with a BBC comedy show. Subtle English humor is the best.

Date: March 23, 2024 12:40PM

dagny Wrote:
> Subtle English humor is the best.

It's easy to miss. :)

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 03:29PM

The conspiracy theorists are not satisfied. They think the video is AI-generated. Next will be a death announcement and a closed-casket funeral.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 01:17PM

By jove, Dagny and Nghtingale, I think you've got it.

Date: March 23, 2024 05:49PM

I'm in the mood to pick up a P. G. Wodehouse book now!

Date: March 23, 2024 05:58PM

I have Kindle Unlimited and P.G. Wodehouse's novels and short-story collections are free to me.  I'm of the opinion that I've read his entire oeuvre, but I can't be absolutely certain.

My goal is to become The Oldest Member...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 23, 2024 08:56PM

The jokes write themselves.

;-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.