Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Temple Name- Irene ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 07:51PM

According to the Temple Name Oracle, it looks like the Mormon Temple names used are revised about every 10-20 years. The current list appears to have been used since 2014, so it could be eligible to be updated this year. Who decides what the temple names go on the new list?

I've read that temple names are used globally and translated as far as possible into equivalent non-English names. Any funny/odd names come up out in the non-English mission field?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 08:04PM

> Who decides what the temple
> names go on the new list?

Ultimately, ghawd!  Would I lie?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 08:26PM

I hope they keep Nimrod!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 25, 2024 07:49AM

+1 for the name Nimrod.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 08:33PM

Maybe the church will retire Lucy and introduce Karen. Only an out of touch church committee would do that.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 07:03PM

and I've said before that my husband when I told him at the veil said WHAT? Even my TBM daughter jokes about it.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 09:55PM

The day I went to the temple the first time included several other teenage males just called to a mission like me.

Although I did not know it at the time, we all got the same name. I guess God did not want any of us to be individuals.

It is unfortunate that none of use compared notes on what name we were all given. Out of the hundreds in the SLC downtown mission home at the time I arrived, I would bet that the name list would have been down to maybe five or six.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 24, 2024 10:05PM

I wish I could remember my temple name. I was so freaked out by the endowment experience that I promptly forgot my new temple name.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 25, 2024 04:38AM

If you can remember the date you were endowed, you can find your temple name here:

https://www.fullerconsideration.com/TempleNameOracle/

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: March 25, 2024 01:26PM

I was going to freak my sister out by telling her their temple names, but sadly, they don't have a male name for 12 Dec 1981. Dang it!

Posted by: Subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 01:03PM

Eternal1 I will give you a new name by the no priesthood that I hold your new name shall be “Abraham”.
Hahaha sorry I couldn’t help myself if I was in charge of the male temple names there would be the name Abraham. No eternal1 how about “Nephi” as your new name? Like many other women my name is Deborah. I was so disappointed with the name Deborah because the name is so common. I thought that god had a special name just for me not that every female going through the temple on the same day as me also were given the name of Deborah.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 25, 2024 02:50AM

My first foray through the temple was a few days after entering the mission home.

Later that evening the four of us missionaries were in the bunk room talking about it.

One of them said he knew all of our names. We said he couldn't possibly know that, so he told us.

That was my first inkling that the mormon church wasn't what I had thought it was.

Posted by: Curious1 ( )
Date: March 25, 2024 09:14AM

If you go to the temple, can they look up your temple name for you?

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 25, 2024 11:58AM

You can easily look up what your temple name is. Go to google dot com and search, "what is my mormon temple name" and it will show you a website with this information.

All you need is to know the date you first went through. It's all there.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: March 25, 2024 09:25AM

Haha all that top secret slit your throat mumbo jumbo does have a purpose...keeps the plebes in awe and never able to collaborate about such things...there’s just nothing like the panic that crosses a grown adults face when asked anything that goes on in the house of horrors larping place...it’s not secret...it’s ridiculous...even my folks used to get that look...ahem well we make solemn promises never to divulge...well sh$#t then...it was hilarious when new name Noah blew the roof off the out house....THAT?...that’s what’s so top secret...hahaha...let us go down!

Posted by: ML ( )
Date: March 25, 2024 12:23PM

Do many current TBM recommend holders know about the online temple name web site? Has anyone ever pointed this web site out to a TBM? I'm guessing they wouldn't want to talk about it since it is too "sacred" but it would certainly add to the "shelf", so to speak.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 25, 2024 12:58PM

It would be a nice gesture on the part of the church if bishops, when they're doing a member's very first TR interview, clue the member in on the existence of the temple names list so that the members may, should the spirit prompt them, choose a name they feel would be the most appropriate.

Also, would the lord ghawd almighty really care if the church charged a nominal fee, on top of tithing, to allow the member to choose his very own temple name?

I can see it becoming a very trendy social thing in Utah:

"Bhrittknee Aynne Lharuu Smith has announced that she has gone through the temple.  She did so in the company of (long list of mormon-named relatives).  Her chosen Celestial name, which ghawd has accepted and by which she will be known throughout all the eternities, is Phaithful Flower of Virtue Excelsiorita."

Posted by: New One ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 06:55AM

I actually think elderolddog's suggestion could become an underground "thing" in the morridor. There are definitely some social climbing LDS that I think would try to game the system so that they can get a temple name that they like. (As I looked through the list, there are names that I personally would prefer for myself.) Of course, people couldn't talk about this or share their actions unless they were speaking with friends in absolute confidence.

Posted by: Subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 01:10PM

Some lds members know about the temple name web site and say not to post on social media a picture of you in front of the temple with saying something like “went to the temple today for the first time”. On youtube in a comment section someone said “I will be getting my endowment on Saturday”. The comment underneath said “Hi Claudia”. lol she probably knew her temple name from the youtube comment section before going through the temple.

Posted by: Moving On ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 04:18PM

Good point Subeamnotlogedin!

I hadn't realized that telling people you were endowed a certain day would let people know your temple name. But what really points out how deep some TBMs have gotten into the morass is that those who know about the temple name oracle web site and are telling people not to reveal the date of their endowment don't see the problem in thinking that the temple names are at all sacred-- since everyone gets the same name on that day!

Poor souls....Shaking my head....

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 05:53PM

It seems so....needlessly lazy, doesn't it? To have such a system where EVERYONE going to the temple on a particular date has the same name. Like, they're making it so flimsy that it is NECESSARY that nobody talks to each other.

Which...I didn't. But there are a lot of people out there who aren't people pleasers from birth. It seems so lazy, shows such a low opinion of the masses to do things in this way.

It reminds me of the lightbulb that went off for me when someone explained why those scammer emails and text messages have so much bad grammar and bad spelling. Because they don't want people who are paying attention to that sort of thing to respond. They want easy marks who won't notice those errors.

That's the cult. They're lazy and condescending because they want to keep sheep who are non-curious and who will be too frightened to share or talk about it. They don't care about the people who will all figure out they're named Jared because everyone who went that day got the name Jared.

The cognitive dissonance for some of those temple workers must be atrocious...

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 06:52PM

I forget my temple name.

Out of curiosity now I'd like to remember.

The temple part - not so much.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 07:00PM

Too bad someone can't sneak into the records/computer and change them all.

Can't you see a guy getting Wardell or elvis or Cosmo?

The ladies getting Jezabel or Jayne or Cher or Madonna?

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: March 27, 2024 12:46PM

BoydKKK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Can't you see a guy getting ... elvis...

I come close

My wife's name is Pricilla

Sadly, I am a mere Heber

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 09:59PM

Originally, all the men were named Abraham and all the women Sarah. Reminiscent of Abram and Sari getting new names.

This was connected to "the Law of Sarah" a reference from the Doctrine and Covenants to the practice of polygamy.

Only many years later was the current doctrine of a "new name" connected to the white seer stone as recorded in Revelations and Doctrine and Covenants.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin no ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 08:51AM

Heartless I learned something new. Thank you.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 07:16PM

I recently got back in touch with a friend from my mission with whom I hadn’t spoken in many years. I was happy to hear that he had resigned his membership even before I did. We sometimes call each other by our temple names (he’s Abraham and I’m Simon).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.