Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 25, 2024 06:55PM

I think it's symptomatic of rampant 'Herdism', also known more formally, at least in the literature, as 'you'erdism.'

I define Herdism as the desire for everyone to be and think like 'you.'  There are more in-depth definitions of 'you'erdism' and 'you'erdists' at the usual sites of erudition and contemplation.

Of course, there's only one 'you.'  But humans have learned to congregate in groups of the perceived same 'you.'  Sometimes, the lengths they'll go to to be the same are insane—sometimes it becomes impossible to tell them apart!

The point is that a 'you' who has found his or her 'you'erd' believes that his or her 'you'erd' is the best 'you'erd' ever, and if you're not it that 'you'erd' with them, you're a loser and need to be punished/penalized.

Basically, 'you'erdists' believe nonconformists shouldn't be tolerated, much less ever rewarded; nonconformists should be punished for not accepting the 'you'erd' of the person addressing them.  And often they are, as in the classic confrontations match-ups, like the U vs the Y, Ford vs Chevy, etc.  (I don't dare mention anything political!!!)

There are examples everywhere of how really nice, productive, happy, confident people catch crap because they don't conform to someone else's 'you'erd.'  We've all read the stories, with their stunning examples of it, here on RfM.

Stay strong, nonconformists!  Stay happy!  Live long and prosper!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.