Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 03:03PM

News says a few tournaments are underway. I'm at phx ap now, can't post a link...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 05:33PM

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/utah-basketball-racial-hate-crime-ncaa-hotel_n_6602f2a8e4b006c390570dea

University of Utah players had to change hotels because of racist hate directed at them in Coure D’elene, ID, which was skinhead Central not long ago.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 06:38PM

What the hell is the matter with some people? (Too many people)

"I have a dream" was a long, long time ago.

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed. We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal." (MLK)

You'd think people could all have figured it out by now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2024 06:43PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 09:56PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What the hell is the matter with some people? (Too
> many people)
>
> "I have a dream" was a long, long time ago.
>
> "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise
> up and live out the true meaning of its creed. We
> hold these truths to be self-evident that all men
> are created equal." (MLK)
>
>
> You'd think people could all have figured it out
> by now.

Mapping the human genome and finding out we are 99.9% genetically identical should have been the end of racism, but people are far more interested in their ego identity and my team winning at all costs than they are in scientific evidence.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 26, 2024 11:39PM

There were three different incidences in one evening alone. Ugh!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 27, 2024 07:35AM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 27, 2024 10:51AM

On our local TV in Idaho, the governor and some leader guy from the county involved were on TV doing damage control.
They apparently haven't caught on that their dog whistles and open arms to encourage extremists are part of the problem.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 27, 2024 11:33AM

https://www.rawstory.com/idaho-christian-nationalism/

Idaho residents are pushing back against the Christian nationalist takeover in their state.

An influx of right-wing Christians fleeing liberal states has tilted the already conservative state even further to the right, and faith leaders are worried that their neighbors are being sucked into extremism by the newcomers, reported Religion News Service.

“I’ve been very concerned at what I see as the very deliberate, intentional recruitment of folks into North Idaho that support a white nationalism, Christian nationalism viewpoint,” said bishop Gretchen Rehberg, who leads the Episcopal diocese of Spokane.

A clash broke out last month at a board meeting for the Post Falls library, where conservatives raged against materials affirming LGBTQ people rather than, as one critic said, books “such as the Bible, such as Christian things, such as American things, such as patriotic things.”

One local activist spoke out against that rising tide of extremism but was shouted down by the conservatives in attendance.

“Those leading this attack on the libraries, both locally and nationally, can be directly linked to patriarchal white Christian nationalism,” said Josiah Mannion, a photographer and member of the newly formed Community Library Network Alliance.

The crowd erupted, with one person telling Mannion to "shut the f*ck up," and board members eventually called the police to calm the audience.

"I didn't see it coming," Mannion said afterward.

Previous efforts to call faith leaders to stand against right-wing extremism have failed because those same church leaders are helping to spread Christian nationalism to their congregations, said Coeur d’Alene's Republican mayor Jim Hammond, and many liberals and concerned conservatives are leaving the state.

Date: March 27, 2024 11:51AM

There are feuds in Idaho Falls and Pocatello too. There is not much anyone can do since more hard core types have moved in with money.

Mormons with money and power here might help, but I can't tell which side Mormons are on in the spectrum of things. You have to dig to figure out who is pushing what. The local news never comes out to explain who the normal Christian legislators are and who the dangerous ones are. Most people don't bother to dig. That's all I will say.

Anyway, I'm ashamed Idaho once again has shown it's ugly underbelly. Apologies to those athletes.

Date: March 27, 2024 11:48AM

Idaho, especially Northern Id, is a great vacation spot, I wonder if any Nat’l companies might refuse to locate conventions there…

Yrs ago when silver mining wound down, Northern Id was hurting but sugar beets & potatoes still grow..

Restaurant workers & other hourly employees are drawn to commute to Spokane & other WA jobs with higher wages, AND, weed is legal in WA…

go figure!

Date: March 27, 2024 11:58AM

It's beautiful there. I was seriously thinking of retiring near Coeur d'Alene at one time.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 27, 2024 01:30PM

It is indeed gorgeous.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 27, 2024 08:07PM

I almost bought retail property in Coeur d'Alene, and planned on living there. But now I greatly dislike the whole state. Besides, too many Mormons and preppers. Yea, even Mormon preppers.

Date: March 28, 2024 12:45AM

if Idaho and a few other states want to secede, I say let them, But withdraw their federal spending for military, education, research. Let them fund their own infrastructure!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.