Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 05:55AM

What proper cult doesn't have people constantly living in fear of the end of the world? You'd almost get the impression that they were trying to pretend to be normal or something.

Are you ready for Doomsday?

BWWAHAHAHA...

##########

https://religionnews.com/2023/01/26/for-todays-mormons-its-food-storage-lite/

For today’s Mormons, it’s Food Storage Lite

From two years to one year to six months to three months: Food storage requirements aren’t what they used to be for Latter-day Saints.

Church leaders in previous decades were full of creative ideas on where and how to store giant buckets of wheat, rice and other staples. You could use the buckets and #10 cans as pillars for a child’s platform bed, or put a piece of plywood and a tablecloth on a row of buckets and call it a coffeetable.

And it wasn’t just about storing food; you were supposed to grow and can your own. I learned how to make jam from a Relief Society sister in the 1990s, and how to make a very basic quilt. Mormons today are still known for activities like quilting and preserving, but more as an art form than as the mode of survival they were just a few generations ago.

Theologically, there’s also been a marked shift. Food storage is now tied primarily to a family’s ability to weather ordinary problems — a job loss, a health crisis — rather than to the imminent end of the world. There are still doomsday preppers in Mormon culture, but that sensibility is no longer mainstream.

Gary and Gordon Shepherd have chronicled the rise and fall of General Conference topics in their book “A Kingdom Transformed,” exploring the main changes from 1830 to the present. One of those is the gradual disappearance of eschatology. We still talk in spiritual terms about the “gathering of Israel,” but no one is telling members from the pulpit they should be buying land in Jackson County, Missouri, to prepare for a Second Coming that’s right around the corner.

##########

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2024 06:04AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nif2 ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 06:07AM

What Mormons get wrong is what they store, especially that wheat nonsense. Also difficult to store water. Otherwise I think it is a pretty useful habit. While the authorities berated anyone who "hoarded" in 2020, they also encouraged people to go out and shop on a regular basis during lockdown which contradicted theiŕ own advice.

Posted by: Nif2 ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 07:47AM

They discouraged people from stocking up. They encouraged people to either go out to stores on a regular basis or get a delivery guy to round the doors. The official narrative had more holes than Swiss cheese. (Apparently talking to your neighbor spread disease but not the Amazon/Pizza Hut guy going round the entire neighborhood. Oh and touchscreens were okay but cash was dirty.)

Some morons stockpiled toilet paper, but it made sense to have some stores aside.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 08:08AM

People in 2020 had never been through a major world pandemic before. Yes, there was conflicting information and practice in the beginning of the pandemic. I would think that would be expected. I remember fashioning my first face mask out of materials that I had on hand. I tried shopping during a time set aside for seniors, but found that the stores were just as crowded. So like most other people, I masked up and kept my distance from others the best I could.

Unlike some, I had a respect for what a pandemic could do because both of my maternal grandparents lost their first spouse during the Spanish flu pandemic a hundred years prior. We didn't lose any family members this time around, because we masked up, kept our distance, stayed home as much as possible, and got our vaccines when available.

More than a million people in the U.S. alone were not so fortunate.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 10:14AM

They discouraged people from stocking up because you can create an artificial shortage of pretty much anything if everyone goes out and buys a bunch of it at once.

That was what happened with toilet paper in the pandemic. There was plenty of industrial capacity to meet normal demand, but not to meet hoarding demand. People bought entire pickup truckloads of TP at Costco, thinking they were going to resell it at a huge profit. That turned out not to be the case. They tried to return it, and Costco wouldn't take it back. I imagine there are people who still have a lifetime supply of TP in their garage.

Same thing happened with gasoline after the pandemic. Demand returned unexpectedly fast in 2022, and it took a while to start up the oil wells again, then the oil trains and pipelines, then the refineries. Plus Russia invading Ukraine didn't help.

Home prices went up during the pandemic because a lot of people started working from home and needed more space. Office prices went down.

And now car prices are going to go up because a container ship ran into a bridge.

Changes in demand cause shortages or excesses. That's why businesses hate uncertainty and love predictability. It's not rocket science.

Date: March 28, 2024 11:27AM

It's going to be interesting to see where all the cars and trucks go. There are enormous parking lots near the Port of Baltimore that were built to accommodate all of the car deliveries (the Port of Baltimore takes the most car and truck deliveries in the country.) It's a sight to behold! As excellent a port as Norfolk is (the Port of Virginia,) I can't think that it has the capacity to take all of those car deliveries. Baltimore also takes the most sugar deliveries in the country. At least those can be easily diverted elsewhere.

I do know that the U.S. Navy and the Army Corps of Engineers (my brother's old outfit,) will be involved with clearing the channel of bridge debris. I expect that work will commence shortly. I asked my engineer/builder brother how long it would take to clear the channel, and his response was, "weeks."

The Port of Virginia has two combination bridge/tunnels that ships must cross over to get to its terminals. I have to think that a second harbor tunnel is in the mix of possible solutions for Baltimore. But no one here is expecting a replacement for four years at a minimum.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2024 11:31AM by summer.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 09:24PM

The new bridge will be completed by the end of May.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 09:58PM

>The new bridge will be completed by the end of May.

End of May in what year?

The new bridge certainly won't be finished in May 2024. Before construction of the new bridge can occur, the wreckage of the old bridge has to be removed That may be completed by the end of May, but the new bridge has to be designed, and construction of a bridge that size could not be completed in 2 months.

Date: March 28, 2024 07:39AM

I probably have about three months worth of food at any given time. That assumes that my refrigerator and freezer are operational, which is not a given. There are times when I've eaten out of my pantry or freezer when money has been tight.

Where I live, pandemic shortages went in waves. At first, toilet paper and cleaning supplies largely vanished from the shelves. Then meat. Then boxed and canned goods. But you could always find *something.* There was always something suitable available, even if it wasn't exactly what you wanted.

The longest that I've seen stores closed where I live is about a week for a major blizzard. Selected stores might be closed for a week to three weeks after a hurricane that takes out all of the electricity.

After Hurricane Katrina in NOLA, my niece lost everything. Nothing survived, not even her pots and pans. Food storage would not have helped her.

Date: March 28, 2024 10:28AM

Food storage is worse than worthless in a flood. It is a liability. After the water gets pumped out of the basement, you are left with a bunch of cans and other containers that have had the labels soaked off, and rust on the cans, with no way to know if the rust spots have created micro-perforations in the cans.

It's a liability because it is just one more thing you have to get to the landfill.

Even the plastic containers are going to be covered with silt that will be very difficult to remove completely. About all the household items you can really save after a flood are silverware and dishes. Maybe cookware.

I've been through three floods, 2 hurricanes (east coast) and a river (Midwest), plus missed a big flood - I lived in the city before and after, but happened not to be there the year of the flood.

Yeah, you'd think I would move to higher ground. Trouble is, there are places in the Midwest, notably along the Red River of the North, where there is no high ground, at least not high enough to be completely safe. Dikes help a lot, but they can fail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2024 10:29AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 08:53AM

Gimme dat ole time millennialism.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 10:31AM

Why doesn't the church store all the food and emergency supply stuff in the temples so everyone in the area could just go there? They could double as the "storehouse" since we know they sit mostly empty.

There are temples everywhere now.
The temples already have pretty good security.
Everyone knows God protects His houses, so emergency stuff is probably safer in God's house than yours.
They could use it as another threat to members to pay up and be temple worthy.

The church has got all kinds of food related businesses (cannery, meat ranch, etc.) so why should the members pay to maintain all that food manufacturing and then be expected to go buy more food for their personal storage?

I'm halfway kidding, but how about some purpose multitasking for those temples being forced into everyone's towns?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 03:53PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm halfway kidding, but how about some purpose
> multitasking for those temples being forced into
> everyone's towns?

That's brilliant, dagny. Seriously.

Maybe one of the prophets will receive an inspiration and follow your sage advice. :)

Then we'll see the debacle of them only allowing folks with temple recommends to access the storehouse.

Or not - if The Big Guys really are inspired.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 01:48PM

My plan would turn all those temples into sewage treatment plants. Just need some giant green pipes and a couple of sucking motors.

Wouldn't GC be an improvement for members if this coming Sunday people learned about sewage treatment?

Where Mormon shit ends up
https://youtu.be/YW6GBciRHLg?t=113

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 12:17PM

Why is a 3 month storage of everything is a good idea for a TBM.
1. You don't have to go begging to the church and get a financial anal exam along with a lecture.

Date: March 28, 2024 12:46PM

Any other community food pantry will not require a bishop's interview, an inspection of your pantry, a food order, a work requirement, etc. The most you might be asked is your name and the number of people in your household. The Mormons are behind the times.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 12:20PM

> Gary and Gordon Shepherd . . .

These two are OLD!!!

They also wrote about me!

Finally, the comestibles I have the most of are carbonated flavored waters and marshmallows.  So, I'm good to go.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 01:44PM

Traditional Mormon food storage was always inadequate.

I learned from folks that lived through several significant economic downturns and carious disasters.

I was always taught to have a well stocked pantry and a well provisioned home.

My parents always had a case of toilet paper, three months worth of laundry detergent, dish soap, women's needs, toiletries etc.

Added to that provisions for sewing, home repair, oil changes and gardening.

First aid and medical supplies too.

We weren't "preppers" but maybe duck and cover was played into it.

Food wise we had at least six months, but with the ranch we had a freezer full of beef, cellar full of apple, peach, apricot and cherry products.
(Yes we had a small stockpile of rheumatis medicine)

So when the pandemic hit, I was comfortable with the basic necessities and rode the shortages out pretty well.

I always had a feeling that stockpiling raw wheat was just to provide a ready market for surplus from church farms.

I think another change to current mormon food storage us the large number of members that live in small condos, apartments or smaller homes with no basement.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 05:46PM

Did anyone hoard food stamps?

Posted by: moronology ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 03:29PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did anyone hoard food stamps?

Sorry, but the morons in office take away the food stamp money, if you don't use it by a certain date. That date expiration is different for different states. I think its criminal, because I would have saved the Federal stimulus food stamp-SNAP money (its called SNAP now) for when times were tougher for me.

Personally, I think its worth learning how to protect a home from hurricanes and floods. I can't do any of this where I live, but I'm actively working on getting out of my current situation so that I can get a home that is better so I can survive floods. Sub-pumps or whatever they are called (never seened it in print) do help, but creating a garden with secret water catchment tanks and having sand bag type sand in areas where the water can just collect and soak up around the house and having something underneath this, that will take water as it filters through and store it in water catchment containers and then having that water go through a filtration system, will give you water all year around. I just can't figure out the exact design, but something along these lines.

Prepping should really be First In First Out so that when a near tragedy happens, you can at least have basic needs met. Hurricanes and tornadoes don't help us, but a good storm shelter would, if you can actually afford to own one and have a place for one. I can't afford one and can't own one where I live, so don't. ROFL

Mormon church as far as I know, do not teach how to intelligently prep for real. I've seen the canned goods they give the poor. I've looked at their offering. Variety is the spice of life, but sometimes variety gives you more nutritional balance too, which is something that seems to be lacking in many people preps.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 28, 2024 06:52PM

And they had a "fruit room" in the basement. (I had nonmormon friends move here about 20 years ago and they wanted to know why all the homes had fruit rooms in them.)

So some years after my parents died, the bottles started to crack and drain all over the fruit room and laundry room. My oldest brother (who has some disabilities from a stroke he had at age 42) hauled those jars out to the garbage--broken and all. And then clean up the mess. I never liked canned things except my mom made great pickled beets. Other siblings had their favorites like peaches. Frozen corn.

We grew all our own of most of the stuff on the farm. I refuse to can. My neighbor cans for weeks on end. She has a huge garden. I tried gardening one year and we had a hail storm.

I'm sure my "husband"--he lives downstairs--has a supply for all of us of an odd assortment of everything he has had forever and then eats it anyway. He doesn't live to eat. We all can't stand what he eats.

I'll have to eat some of his stuff should the disaster happen.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 12:06AM

I had tons of wheat that my uncle gave me and I would pawn it off to my Achievement Girls after we had a lesson on cooking with wheat as in wheat berry chili, wheat berry oatmeal and of course grinding our own wheat and making homemade bread old fashioned style. I was such a Molly! OMG!

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: April 09, 2024 10:54PM

A couple of guys in our stake made a killing off of selling electric wheat grinders. One was later made the stake president.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 12:14AM

Most of the Q-15 are deathly afraid of saying anything that might set off more prepper wackos. Rusty has resurrected the Last Days thing a few times, and maybe that's why there has been a surge of recent nutjobs. But I believe they are trying to de-emphasize it as the year 2000 fades into the background.

Date: April 02, 2024 02:32PM

The old food storage "2 year supply" thing assumed a family with a home with a basement, in other words, a basic 1940s-50s Utah Mormon family.

Cynic that I am, I think a lot of the impetus for the program was for church members to buy up and store a lot of what was produced by the welfare farms, again, mostly in Utah. That way, the farms could be passed off as part of a church program as opposed to a church-owned business. And why would they do that? No property tax if it is for a church program.

I've never seen any research about that. I'd love to know if LDS welfare farms were tax exempt in Utah, and if this same scam worked in states other than Utah, or outside the US? I know there were welfare farms in Alberta, Canada for example.

As for the 2 year supply assuming a home with a basement, that is becoming less and less common. In much of the south in particular, homes have slab foundations and no basement. Much of new construction these days consists of condos and apartments, aimed at young people who can't afford a single-family home or down't want to live out in the suburbs, and older people who don't need the space and/or don't want to deal with home maintenance.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: April 03, 2024 12:29PM

My city did an exhibition for community groups recently. It was a way to connect to volunteer opportunities, or support their work in other ways. It featured a wide variety: services for seniors and shut-ins, cancer survivors, guide dogs for the blind, trails and recreation, after-school programs, animal shelters, special olympics, etc.

And in the middle of all this, a guy pushing food storage, billed as earthquake preparedness. You'll never guess his affiliation. Of course, off-topic, since the event was about helping others, not yourself. And: three months of food? For an earthquake most experts recommend a week or two.

No suggestion of making it yourself, it was all kits. He was passing along product info, ordering and storing recommendations. And some of it was useful. But: 10 year food and water? Three months of supplies for four people? For 10 people? We're talking about an earthquake here, not the breakdown of society.

I thanked him for his materials and edged away.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 03, 2024 12:47PM

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/05/religion-evangelical-christian-apocalypse-josiah-hesse

Raised under the dark bubble of religious fundamentalism, Josiah Hesse recalls a childhood filled with gloom, doom and preparing for the end of the world

ne stormy night in the summer of 1992, I walked down the basement steps of my parents’ house to await the apocalypse. The Iowa air was thick with humidity, the ominous green sky prophesying a tornado. My 10-year-old hands trembled as I laid out my inventory: animal crackers, juice boxes, a Bible, and every sharp knife in the kitchen.

My parents were home late and my first thought was that they’d been raptured up to heaven. I was a sinner who had been left behind to face the Earth’s destruction.

Thunder boomed as I opened my Bible to the Book of Revelation, a passage I knew well after years spent on my dad’s knee as he read it aloud to his kids. This would be my roadmap to doom: the stars falling from the sky. The cracked earth spitting locusts with the heads of lions. The beast with seven heads, the body of a leopard, and the feet of a bear will rise from the sea and be worshiped by all those left behind on Earth.

I would have to hide from the antichrist, who would force all those left on Earth to renounce Christ and receive the mark of the beast on their right hand or forehead. Anyone found with the beast’s mark after death would be thrown into the lake of fire. If I successfully avoided this and died of old age, I would be reunited with my family in heaven. (Note: There are countless interpretations of how this would all go down, but this is the one I heard most consistently as a child.)

Eventually my parents did come home. I packed up my gear, put the knives away, and never mentioned a thing to either of them. I was safe – for now.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 12:41PM

Some of my buddies in Seattle bought COAL (from Utah, of course!) and buried it in their yards;

this proved to me how futile it would be to try to survive in a world of economic chaos / social upheaval.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.