Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 03, 2024 04:25PM

If you follow this 1970's retro group at all, you will know that Don Henley is always quick to sue anyone who he thinks infringes on his music or his life. He has treated past members of "The Eagles" horribly. He sued the Duluth trading company that makes henley shirts--- It is a button up style.

A couple of weeks ago he was in court suing three men who had at one time had in their possession a few yellow mangled legal papers with rough draft ideas to Hotel California lyrics.

Henley is worth 250 million dollars. He broke laws in very bad ways in 1980.( Cocaine party, naked 16 year old sex worker overdosed at his home in his bed---but "we never had sex". LOL) Why Henley wanted to drag up the past was mind boggling just over some ripped up papers worth maybe $100,000. on a good day.

Henley claimed they were "stolen" from him. Things were not going Henley's way so he all of a sudden the lawsuit was dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6DbH-X-L0

And now it looks like Henley may have been lip synching on the latest tours in 2023 and 2024.

The ticket cost is in the hundreds. Should fans get their money back? If you bought a ticket would you want your money back?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 03, 2024 04:44PM

I saw most of the top rock 'n roll bands back in the day (concert tickets were dirt cheap back then.) I loved the Eagles and thought that it was one of the best concerts I saw at the time. Their singing and harmonies were ethereal -- just gorgeous.

It sounds like Don Henley is really, really full of himself. Henley-style shirts were around long before he was on the scene -- I'm assuming that they were named after the English town of Henley-on-Thames. Perhaps he wishes to sue Henley-on-Thames? Or perhaps the Henley Royal Regatta?

What a jackass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2024 04:45PM by summer.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 02:00PM

them just six months before Glen Frey's untimely death. They were definitely singing and were fabulous. Near the end, Henley came to center stage, the spotlight on only him and he sang "Desperado" He may be a gargantuan A-hole, but damn did he make me cry.

Posted by: Scooby doo ( )
Date: April 06, 2024 11:57PM

It's funny you mention it that way. There are some actors and actresses that I think are gargantuan A-holes when it comes to pushing their political beliefs. But I tend to brush that aside when watching them in movies. When you are good at what you do then you are good at what you do.

Posted by: calianon ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 02:44PM

Henley may be difficult but most extremely gifted people are.

Those papers are worth a lot more than 100k and were his property. He won his civil case against these guys several years back. This was a criminal case by the state of NY, Henley was only a witness in the matter.

I had floor seats at a concert in Jan 2024, Henley was not lip-synching in this concert.

Date: April 07, 2024 08:29AM

The threshold in a civil suit is much lower than in a criminal suit. In the criminal trial, the judge found that the papers were never stolen. Henley had handed them off to a biographer, along with other notes, and it was the biographer who sold them to the collectors.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/judge-dismisses-1m-hotel-california-lyrics-lawsuit-slams-eagles-frontman-don-henley/ar-BB1jxdCN

So the civil trial was at best an ownership dispute. It's ironic because the theme of the song, "Hotel California" (as explained by Henley) was the band's loss of innocence as they started to hit the big time, and started to encounter all of the sharks that go along with the entertainment industry and big money.

It sounds like Henley lacked a written agreement with the biographer to return all materials to him. It's nice that the civil case found in his favor, but I'm still not going to give him a free pass. Both he and his lawyers deliberately withheld information in the criminal trial.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2024 09:06AM by summer.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: April 09, 2024 02:31AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6DbH-X-L0&t=128s

Maybe not.

It is a little long but "Fil" argues his point pretty well.

I won't pay current ticket prices anymore.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 02:56AM

Love his music. But even when I was a teenager in the 1980s, I could he how much of an ass he was whenever he was interviewed on MTV or something. And teenage me was anything but perceptive.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 12:42AM

A PGA golf pro who finished near the top of the leader board today has the last name of Henley. How dare he!! He'll probably get sued too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2024 12:42AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: April 08, 2024 02:40PM

There are damn few things ill pay money to go see, and as much as I'm a fan of the Eagles, it just ain't worth it anymore.

Date: April 08, 2024 03:40PM

Back in my youth, you could see any concert at all for $15 or less. I saw every band that I wanted to see including the Rolling Stones, the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, the Who, etc. I think it would have been about four times the minimum wage at the time. In today's dollars, that would be $60 or less. The argument now is that shows are fancier, but they were fancy back in my day as well.

Date: April 13, 2024 02:07PM

I don't remember what I paid to see The Who in 1977 at Edmonton Northlands including the 600 mile round trip bus charger but I'd bet it was under $100.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2024 02:20PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: S. Richard Bellrock ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 04:07PM

Sadly, lip-synching is the industry norm nowadays.
I'm pleased to have seen the Eagles twice, once before they canned Felder, and again before Frey passed away. Stellar both times. But can it really be said to be the Eagles with Frey gone?

Posted by: SRB ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 05:51PM

...and it is not uncommon to spend over $1000 on tickets alone if I want to take family to a concert now. Then add in gas, food, hotel...
I once tried to order Fleetwood Mac tickets for the fam, and it came to about $1000, and I said no way. I'll never pay that much (except *maybe* a Zeppelin reunion or ABBA reunion). Since that day I have spent over 1000 a number of times.
And then to find out they are lip-synching?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 04:31AM

A detailed forensic analysis comparing Don Henley's vocals from two separate performances shows he was lip-synching both times.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6DbH-X-L0

I hope you didn't pay too much for those tickets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2024 04:52AM by bradley.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 05:17AM

Here’s his follow up video posted the week after the one you posted. He’s answering questions from the comments https://youtu.be/TlEpVfnvIac

I like that he calls it “miming.” No one likes mimes.

Date: April 29, 2024 05:18AM

I didn't know that miming pays so well!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 05:22AM

A mime is a terrible thing to waste.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 29, 2024 05:38AM

SMDH

This is my favorite Eagle https://youtu.be/eUvvpghxSb8

ETA don’t miss the brown note ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2024 05:44AM by Beth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.