Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 05, 2024 05:53PM

I don't see reports of anyone hurt but thought I would ask if everyone is doing ok :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 05, 2024 06:12PM

It was a 4.8 out of New Jersey. Some of my colleagues in Maryland felt it. I did not. Earthquakes draw a lot of interest around here because we don't get many of them!

ETA: New Jersey just got the first aftershock around 6:00 p.m., a 4.0. Aftershocks are expected to continue for up to a week.

Here is the USGS earthquake tracker for those who are interested:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?currentFeatureId=us7000ma74&extent=21.04349,-129.99023&extent=52.42922,-60.0293

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2024 06:37PM by summer.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 05, 2024 11:04PM

It was felt most vividly in NYC.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 05, 2024 11:18PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 09:03PM

A candidate for the NJ legislature posted, "I experienced my first earthquake in NJ. We never get earthquakes. The climate crisis is real. The weirdest experience ever."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 06:24PM

Ummm

What EXACTLY do earthquakes have to do with Climate Change?

in my book, No Relationship whatsoever...

(my own region) Earthquakes have dotted the Pacific 'ring of fire' for hundreds of years, long before fossil burning or other environmental changes were known. Alaska & Seattle / the PNW have had serious earthquakes during my lifetime & much prior. Scientists have documented a local one from ~ 1700.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 07:10PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ummm
>
> What EXACTLY do earthquakes have to do with
> Climate Change?
>
> in my book, No Relationship whatsoever...

Maybe we can never say never:

https://news.miami.edu/stories/2023/09/scientists-study-likely-link-between-climate-and-earthquakes.html

"...can climate change - specifically, rising rainfall rates and glacial melting - affect earthquakes, which can be triggered by changes in the amount of stress on a fault?

"The connection is not as farfetched as one might think, according to ... professor of marine geosciences and an expert on volcanism and tectonics at the University of Miami...

"There are two possible mechanisms," he said in addressing climate's potential impact on earthquakes in general. One is a change in surface loads caused by the melting of an ice cap or the filling of a reservoir or even change in air pressure by an extreme weather system. The other is the infiltration of surface water if the rocks are permeable."

"Torrential rain and intense heat also could factor into the occurrence of earthquakes..."

-----

You can learn something new and disturbing every single day. Sometimes it doesn't feel safe to get up in the morning!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 07:50PM

Even fracking--the injection of fluids into subterranean rock formations to facilitate the extraction of hydrocarbons--causes minor earthquakes.

The commonsense notion that melting ice caps and the expanding rocks and other materials caused by higher ambient temperatures will not cause earthquakes is silly.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 09:13PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even fracking--the injection of fluids into
> subterranean rock formations to facilitate the
> extraction of hydrocarbons--causes minor
> earthquakes.
>
> The commonsense notion that melting ice caps and
> the expanding rocks and other materials caused by
> higher ambient temperatures will not cause
> earthquakes is silly.

Oklahoma has earthquake problems associated with fracking. The State now has more 2.5 and higher quakes each year than California.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 10, 2024 11:49PM

Joseph predicted earthquakes would occur in New York, so he must be a true prophet!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.