Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 01:15PM

It has to be true. To have a woman stand up in conference and tell the whole world about how she puts on her underwear is amazing. I listened to her talk and she described in detail how she dresses herself in her underwear. The Church has to be true for someone to do that.

When I went through the temple in 1967 I was told to be careful even going to the doctor or the hospital to try and avoid having people see my garments so they would not ridicule them. I was told they were sacred and not for people to see. I tried to follow that during my life.

But this weekend was an opener. A women standing up in conference talking about how she dresses in her underwear. I have not read any negative comments from woman about her doing that. So I assume that Church woman must be okay with it. I am not. I was found it degrading and a real put down to women in the Church.

Then I listened to Dusty and felt something was off about the Kirkland temple visitations. He said stuff I had not heard before and I thought I knew a lot about Kirkland. This morning I was reading that some of his information came from scribes who wrote about the event years later. So I am going to do further research as it seems it was not the actual account that JS saw. Yet Dusty made it sound like this is what JS saw. To have a Church leader not be clear on the facts is something else.

NO this was not a testimony builder for me. Just kidding about the Church being true. I should have said that the Church leaders are desperate.

I know lots of people who go to the temple regularly. They do not seem to be happy like the brethren suggested this weekend. I have people outside the Church happier than they are. As I look around at wards I visit I do not see happy people like I saw when I was in the Church in the 50 to the 70's. People back then were happy in the gospel and the Church. What happened!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 01:40PM

About 65% of people who were surveyed feel happy despite living within one mile of an active water treatment plant. Interestingly, only 30% of people surveyed feel happy living within one mile of a LDS temple.

Just kidding :D

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 01:41PM

"What happened"

The fun police. Everything fun had to go. Basketball, road shows, ward activities, scouts, etc. No fun for you. Ya think Jesus had fun?

Look at the faces on the stand at GC. Mission accomplished.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 15, 2024 01:23PM

Misery loves company.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 15, 2024 06:19PM

The church stripped away activities that were fun and built community. Everything had to have a "gospel purpose". The church also took away the autonomy of the Relief Society. It used to be that the women could determine their weekly program, and could also raise money and determine how that money was spent. No more.

You've heard the expression -- if Mama isn't happy, no one is happy.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: April 08, 2024 01:41PM

"People back then were happy in the gospel and the Church. What happened!!!!!"

Back then you had value as a person. If you did not show up to church, people checked on you to make sure you were OK. So the community aspect was what made the boring nature of Mormonism tolerable. As a kid we had great activities.

Now its all about money, everything they do eventually leads to money and blind obedience. Do they really give a rats ass about you? When was the last time you had a visit just to make sure you were OK, regardless of your activity level.

The current version of Mormonism was reinforced to me the other day. A former co-worker made a comment to my wife when he saw her. He said that I had an "attitude problem". This was based upon my refusing to do things as I was told without question. He is not the only TBM that reminds me of my "attitude problem" when they get a chance to display their celestial arrogance.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 14, 2024 08:24PM

Their level of hideousness shocks me at times.

Back then my family never felt valued as members. We just went as that is what we thought was right or our mother was pushing us to.

I went to church as I thought I believed, but I had questions all along. Then the gay/straight marriage and dealing with leaders happened. I had no value to them in the least. Neither did my "husband" or my children. I never once felt valued as member of the church.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 14, 2024 10:09PM

"To have a Church leader not be clear on the facts is something else."

Huh ?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 14, 2024 10:24PM

LOL. Heck, that's a requirement!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 14, 2024 10:47PM

my first experience with alt names for G’s was that they were (called) Passion Killers…

Compare the joy and loving, bonding that happens when lovers - partners play & sleep together nude, as well as swimming, hiking, & other relaxing activities.

14th A of F: thou shalt not have fun, relax, or have fun.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 14, 2024 11:16PM

When I was twelve I told my father I didn't believe in Jesus. I passed right by Joe Smith and went for the throat. He looked at me with disownment in his eyes and said, "you need to pray." I asked him to whom should I pray? There being no Jesus and all. He told me to pray to the Holy Ghost, and then I had to tell him I didn't believe in ghosts, holy or not. I've never seen anything to prove otherwise, and I'm sixty-six now.

One thing I learned is that I won't change my worldview for anyone's testimony. Some people will testify to any damn nonsense. Once I read Mark Twain's "Letters From the Earth." I was done with religion, and especially Christianity.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 15, 2024 12:52AM

It’s the Kirtland Temple. Kirkland is the house brand at Costco, and they may sue for defamation for associating their name with Mormonism! ;)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 15, 2024 02:10AM

For those who wish to read this for self-abuse…

Is there a link to the GC talk/ remarks?

This ‘deserves’ to be documented !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2024 04:51AM by GNPE.

Date: April 15, 2024 01:06PM

The truth about the Kirtland temple dedication is wine was served after a fast. Bad idea. Some of those attending got drunk and David Whitmer complained that the drunkenness ruined the whole event.

As far as Rusty goes he’s proof it’s a bad idea to have a very old person as CEO. Most these old prophets are basically a church mascot. They don’t make any big decisions. Get one who wants a legacy and has an ego you end up with what is happening now in the church.

Date: April 15, 2024 01:18PM

Just more proof of why putting such an intense focus on temples is a huge mistake. It brings all the weirdness to the surface for all to see. Now garments are a major publicly discussed topic on YouTube, pod casts and in the main stream media. It shows how wierd and controlling the church leadership is. It’s going to drive people from the church and undo any public respect the church once had.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 15, 2024 01:21PM

Imagine the hilarity if the one-piece garment were still in vogue!

Date: April 15, 2024 01:34PM

The younger members see the church leaders as old guys who are out of touch. They are going to do what they are going to do. They aren’t going to start wearing their garments more. They are going to continue sleeping around. Yeah. The young single adults bang like crazy. Wear your garments Oaks soon will be dead. Rusty’s crazy ideas will die with him but his crazy farts will linger. Uchtdorf will have to do a lot of damage control when he becomes prophet but then once Bednar replaces him, he will undo everything Uchtdorf did.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 05:04PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.