Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 09:19AM

What happens when a shaman or prophet predicts the end of the world and it doesn't happen?

##########

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/danielle-johnson-killer-astrology-influencer-eclipse-b2527489.html

The alarming beliefs of astrology influencer-turned killer who warned followers of impending ‘apocalypse

Johnson, an astrology influencer and peddler of spiritual remedies, had recently taken to social media to warn her extensive following of an impending “apocalypse” ahead of the solar eclipse, which swept across North America and around the world later on Monday.

In erratic posts in the days leading up to the tragedy she told people to get their hearts “in the right place” and “pick a side” ahead of a “new world order”.

"WAKE UP WAKE UP THE APOCALYPSE IS HERE. EVERYONE WHO HAS EARS LISTEN. YOUR TIME TO CHOOSE WHAT YOU BELIEVE IS NOW. IF YOU BELIEVE A NEW WORLD IS POSSIBLE FOR THE PEOPLE RT NOW.

THERE IS POWER IN CHOICE. THERE IS POWER IN CHOICE!!!! REPOST TO MAKE THE CHOICE FOR THE COLLECTIVE"

The Solar Eclipse of 2024 did not bring an apocalypse.

Danielle Johnson, known as Ayoka, suffered an unfortunate mental break that led to a murder-suicide of herself, her partner, and their 8-month old child as a result of her conspiracy theory.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 09:33AM

And this is why we can't "leave it alone".

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 12:42PM

I think we need a Hale-Bopp Award to go with the Darwin Award, for people killing themselves over perfectly normal and predictable astronomical events.

I am constantly amazed that there are still people who believe in astrology, but then, there are still people who at least claim to believe in a flat earth, an even more absurd proposition.

In somewhat related news (people believing the absurd), the SIL of a friend of mine is a militant anti-vaxxer and has "natural immunity", which he considered the gold standard, from a bout of covid 3 and a half years ago, which didn't make him very ill.

He was hauled to a hospital Tuesday and immediately put on a ventilator. He is expected to live, but anytime you are put on a ventilator, the situation is by definition life-threatening.

Covid has always been a game of Russian roulette, though now we have some control over how many empty chambers there are. But they're not all empty.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 05:06PM

"They're not all empty".

Very deep.

Could be a useful slogan at the nearest vaccination clinic. :)

Re the natural immunity concept: I wouldn't bet the bank on one bout of infection bestowing complete immunity and especially not 3+ years out. The virus morphs. Hence the need for updated vaxxes.

Too many people hear a tiny piece of a concept, do little or no research, and yet are confident they possess complete knowledge.

Sometimes you have to learn the hard way. Personally, I try to avoid that method.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2024 05:11PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 06:30PM

The survival chance if you are put on a ventilator for (roughly) four days or more is about 60%. Some articles say 50%. About half of the surviving patients are discharged to LTACHs (Long term acute care facilities.) About 70% of those people survive to be sent home. If you are sent home, there is no guarantee that your life will ever be the same.

So, yeah.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 13, 2024 08:57AM

That's what I'm afraid of. This guy's MIL is well off, and suffering from mild dementia that is of course slowly getting worse. He is her principal caretaker. Losing him through death or loss of health would be a major blow to her.

Date: April 13, 2024 09:28AM

I've lurked on a nurse's forum ever since the pandemic started. One thing they have emphasized is that sometimes the "cure" is worse than the disease, and that surviving a Covid hospitalization doesn't mean that you will have any quality of life afterward. They've said that there are a number of survivors who will never work again.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 12:46PM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 04:02PM

Thanks for reminding me to stock up on horse paste.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 07:44PM

She pushed her kids out of the car onto the freeway

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-04-08/infant-death-los-angeles-freeway-tied-to-crime-scenes

"Around 4:30 a.m. Monday near the Sepulveda Boulevard/Howard Hughes Parkway exit, officers found an 8-month old girl in the middle of the roadway. She had major injuries and died at the scene. A 9-year-old girl, who had moderate injuries, had made it to the side of the freeway after the pair were pushed out of a moving car, authorities said.

Investigators believe Johnson killed her partner inside their home before fleeing, pushed her two small daughters out of the car on the 405 and then deliberately rammed her SUV into the tree in Redondo Beach in an apparent suicide.

An LAPD investigator said the 9-year-old “was holding the infant as she was forced from the vehicle” on the freeway.

The girl witnessed the deadly events and told investigators what had happened, according to a law enforcement source."

I feel very bad for the 9 year old. Talk about tyrauma.

Date: April 13, 2024 07:51AM

That poor child. She did everything she could to save her baby sister. What a complete nutter of a "parent."

Date: April 13, 2024 09:36AM

Mothers like that should have their kids taken away.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 13, 2024 05:54PM

Nobody was killed, but one man suffered a gunshot wound to his arm, and another to his neck, as a woman cruised I-10 in Florida shooting at people. She says God told her to.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/solar-eclipse-shooting-spree-taylon-celestine-shoots-drivers-claims-god-told-her-to/

Date: April 14, 2024 12:05AM

Did she get any brass plates?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 14, 2024 12:59AM

Nope. The Biblical God didn't give out brass plates for those who murder others.

He gave out countries instead.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 17, 2024 12:13AM

the image didn't separate out from the thread, and had a few unrelated off-color images.
It was a picture of a total(ed) Mitsubishi Eclipse.

On a slightly related matter, what do you call a totaled Acura?
--an (in)Acura.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2024 01:26AM by caffiend.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.