Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 06:19PM

A good news story for the week.

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2024/Items/Apr12-7.html

"This item is timely, on a personal level, for (Z) because this week would have been his grandmother's 102nd birthday. During World War II, she worked as a riveter, building airplanes in Connecticut. And not only did she and the other "Rosies" have to do the same work as the men, they had to do it fast, fast, fast, as planes and tanks and bombs and guns were needed in almost endless supplies for the war effort."

"For the ceremony, the organizers managed to find 27 living Rosies, ranging in age from mid-90s to 106, who were able to attend in person. Jeanne Gibson, who is 98, gave a brief acceptance speech on behalf of the group. It's only about 3 minutes if you'd care to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO0RO7H2egY&t=2505s

(Edited by Admin to avoid posting entire article)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2024 08:58PM by Maude.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 06:40PM

My mom was a "Rosie the Riveter." My dad was a mechanical engineer who managed a metals factory. He saw early on that as the men went off to war, they would need to be replaced. But, who would replace them? Women. He worked in cooperation with various officials to establish a program to train women to do tool-and-dye work.

He hired my mom, who was very good at math. They later had a joke that she was the only person he ever hired who tried to talk her way out of the job. :) My mom fabricated casings for bombs used in the war effort.

She met many famous people as she pursued her war work including Eleanor Roosevelt and U.N. Ambassador Clare Booth Luce. A photograph of my mom on the factory floor was shown large-scale on the Kodak display in Grand Central Station in New York City.

My parents were both truly of "the Greatest Generation."

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 08:01PM

Wow, summer. That's amazing family history.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 09:43PM

Another Rosie was Norma Jean. She worked at the Radioplane Company, a munitions factory in Van Nuys where she was noticed for an army promo shoot. Such a tragic life. Becoming Marilyn Monroe certainly did not make her happy.

There are some beautiful early pics of her here including one at Radioplane. Scroll past the big green button.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/norma-jeane-mortenson#:~:text=Norma%20Jeane%20Dougherty%20working%20at,modeling%20job%20of%20her%20life.

Summer, that is SO SO SO cool about your Mom! It fits with so many other things you have said about her over the years. I would have loved to have been friends with her :)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 13, 2024 02:22AM

to get some pictures, that's how Norma Jean was discovered :)

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 12, 2024 11:18PM

Uncle Sam had some sexy sweatshop babes.

Hey don't blame me for sexist talk, blame the government.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.