Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 22, 2024 10:49PM

I have three drakes that need to go. They’re healthy young knaki campbells, about 5 lbs each. They hatched last May, so even though they are free range, they’re probably not tough.

They’re over mating the females, so they need to go. I’ll be separating them from the females tomorrow.

If you or anyone you know would like them, let me know. I’ll give admin my email address, although I suspect you already know who I am.

I have a large pet carrier that can be borrowed if need be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 09:57AM

Over mating ?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 10:09AM

Yes, it's part of animal husbandry and managing things. We can't rehome everything, and dammit we need to eat too.

What matters to me is that they had a good cruelty free life and the most humane way of death. That's pretty much the opposite of factory farming nowadays.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 11:30AM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We can't rehome everything, and dammit we
> need to eat too.

So shoot them humanely and cook them!

Date: April 23, 2024 12:37PM

Thanks, dagny. Yeah. The bachelors’ quarters is more like Thunderdome, and one of the ladies is limping. Last thing we need is a broken hip or a prolapsed cloaca.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 23, 2024 12:06PM

I haven't hunted in several years, never did any bird hunting.

Last animal I got was a deer in Montana.

After moving to Washington, I had a hard time dealing with the heavy brush and the rain. It just wasn't fun. I liked the more openness of the mountain states, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado, and particularly if there was fresh snow.

I like fishing, but like the hunting, it isn't as brushing in Montana and Wyoming as it is in Western WA.

I'll pass on the ducks, thanks for the offer.

Date: April 23, 2024 12:33PM

Understood. Thanks for the response, and I hope you’re well.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 24, 2024 03:26AM

Hunting pet ducks doesn't seem very sporting.

Date: April 24, 2024 03:44AM

Ha! These are some fast ducks. You can come chase them with the net.

They’re working ducks. I love them dearly, but only the oldest has a name. Still she’s far from a pet. They tolerate me as the food lady and are obstinate about going to bed. They do not like to be held. They give me the side eye when I gather their eggs.

I’m holding out hope the extra drakes will be rehomed. It’s difficult for me to dispatch them, and before I got them I watched many videos of various methods. I also read and read and read.

Anyway, I figured if there’s a local hunter who is experienced in dressing wild ducks for breast meat, maybe I won’t have to dispatch them myself, and I won’t have to bother with the process of getting those damn feathers off them. I might reach out to the local extension and see if I can rent a mechanical plucker, or maybe they’ll settle down some. It’s never easy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2024 03:45AM by Beth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.